Battery loosing charge?

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
keithr

Post by keithr »

Trykpaa wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:47 pm That's a different car. E won't show negative consumption. Try it.
I would love to try it, but we're currently in covid-19 lockdown so we're only supposed to go out in our cars to get essential food and medicines. I'm itching to drive the car more! :(

milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Do you have a 12v monitor? Bluetooth one such as the ctek one there are other makes slightly cheaper, possibly worth considering, you could then see if the 12v is dropping and then being charged at random.
Ex e owner
keithr

Post by keithr »

milligoon wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:22 pm Do you have a 12v monitor?
No. If the problem continues or gets worse then maybe I'll buy one.
keithr

Post by keithr »

I'm yet more suspicious of the windows being the cause of the battery drain now. I went out to do my weekly groceries shopping this morning and when I turned the car off the driver's door window moved (not sure if it went down or up, I'd guess down). When I got out of the car and locked the door the window did not move up as it normally does. When I came back to the car again and got in the car the window did move up as normal, but when I arrived at home and turned the car off the window moved down again. So I turned the car on again and moved the window fuily down and then fully up. The window moved as normal when I got out and shut the door. It makes me wonder. (Cue Led Zepplin, Stairway To Heaven :) )
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

This recent update on YouTube may be of interest. Based on Kia eNiro but similar 12V battery issues. Note his compact, portable Powerbank. It doesn't seem to need much power to get car restarted, so this might be a handy device to have in the winter months, esp. if you are travelling away from home. Not really an issue in current Lockdown maybe, but one for the future. And worth having a multimeter handy to check voltage of your 12V battery regularly, if you don't use your car that often.

[Sorry Guys: think I have added this to the wrong thread! Senior moment.]

Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
keithr

Post by keithr »

Today the car had lost about 5% SOC since last Friday (just under 4 days ago). However, I put my 12V battery on charge and just under 3 hours later when I removed the 12V smart battery charger, I noticed the car had lost another 1% SOC. So while the smart charger was perhaps putting in 70W into the 12V battery and had charged it up to 100%, the Li-ion battery pack had been losing power at a rate of about 100W. I can't understand what's going on!
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Did you unplug the kettle first? 🤪

I'd be very tempted to give the car back to your dealer for two weeks for them to monitor it daily, clearly something is very wrong!
Ex e owner
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Keithr

I agree with Mark Milligoon - if this continued to happen to me, I would report back to my Dealer, and hence to Honda UK.

I repeat I have never seen any drop in main Battery % in the 6 months or more that I have owned my car. I keep obsessive records, take an Dash image every time I garage my car (very sad, but I'm retired and had plenty of time in all these Lockdowns!) and have never seen any drop once Power is off. And I don't use my car every day. I have been charging my 12V battery 2-3 times of late, and never had the same as you. I assume you are not "plugged in" and feeding the National Grid.
I do have Pop Outs disabled, and limit Headlights on to 15 secs. The Headlights do light up every time you get the key fob near, so hopefully your keys are at a safe distance, or in a Faraday cage, but no doubt these are not drawing power from Main Battery.

Good Luck. Get in checked out, or at least phone/email your Dealer.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

This issue dues smack of the pre heating being enabled for some reason, in a previous post you've said that you have checked that this is not scheduled, though could you or someone else that had access to the keys be inadvertently enabling this from the keyfob?
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
keithr

Post by keithr »

londiniumperson wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:17 pm This issue dues smack of the pre heating being enabled for some reason, in a previous post you've said that you have checked that this is not scheduled, though could you or someone else that had access to the keys be inadvertently enabling this from the keyfob?
I live alone so I'm the only person with access to the key fobs. I very much doubt that I could have accidentally turned the pre-conditioning on with the fob, and if I had I would probably have noticed the flashing lights.

Also the recent loss of 1% over about 3 hours seems like a too small a loss for pre-conditioning use. However, it does appear to be loss of charge directly from the battery pack, rather than loss from a 12V system and the battery pack then recharging the 12V battery. So the only two things I can think of are battery pack heating or the telematics, and more likely the telematics based on the rate of loss and the fact that it can be consuming power while the car is parked (although I don't use the Honda app).

I've just checked that it's not set to auto update the audio systems firmware, and deleted the saved WiFi connections. While I was at it I noticed the car has lost another 2% SOC in the last day (and I had left the car unlocked!).

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post