Dead Honda e

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

bogga wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:11 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:11 pm I've now had the CTEK battery monitor on my car for 2 weeks...
What happens if you fully charge the 12v battery using a mains charger, and then see what the CTEK says. Is the CTEK monitor calibrated for that particular battery?
There's nothing in the instructions about calibrating it.
As for using a battery charger, the car has one onboard, what will removing the battery and using a mains charger accomplish, it won't stop the drain when the car's unused.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Never had an issue with the various ctek battery monitors I have fitted to various cars over the years.

But I guess one could be duff ! Ignoring the fact a battery has been deep discharged!
Ex e owner
bogga

Post by bogga »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:29 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:11 pm I've now had the CTEK battery monitor on my car for 2 weeks...
What happens if you fully charge the 12v battery using a mains charger, and then see what the CTEK says. Is the CTEK monitor calibrated for that particular battery?
My thinking was, charging the battery outside of the car would put the battery in a known state, ie fully charged.
londiniumperson

bogga wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:44 am
londiniumperson wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:29 pm

My thinking was, charging the battery outside of the car would put the battery in a known state, ie fully charged.
I can see the logic of that but why should I be spending/wasting more of my time doing what the dealer's should have done when I originally took it into them to look at it in the first place?
However as I've already stated, the car should be able to charge it to 100%, if it can't then there's either a problem with the battery or the charging system.

It must be one or more of these reasons:
  • Failed/faulty 12v battery
  • 12v battery charging system fault
  • CTEK battery monitor faulty
Considering that I've had a completely flat battery after not using the car for 3 days and that several times the driver's door window hasn't always fully closed when shutting it, I have my own ideas where the problem lies.
scotty c

Post by scotty c »

i had this happen to me on the 31st, lucky my wife didnt need the Transporter so i could get to work.

called the AA on the 3rd Jan, they came out and the battery was at 5v, he put his pack on it and started the car, and its been fine since, just dropped it off at the dealer (who wanted £12 for a (non) curtsey car) argued with them that I wasnt paying that and walked out and left them the key to sort.

Se what happens.
Yellow e

Post by Yellow e »

Not dead. Car parked up in my home garage (unheated) on 26.12.21 with 28% main battery, not plugged into either a main battery or 12v charger. Fired up today, no issues with anything running on the 12v battery and 27% left in the main one. Must admit I was a little concerned whilst I was away but no issues when back home.
Advance, Charge Yellow, little wheels, 3pin home charger.
Gerynant24

Post by Gerynant24 »

Went to the car this morning and the car is completely dead. It's totally non-responsive.

Cannot even open the car with the mechanical key.
Does anyone know how to get in if the key won't work? Are there any access points to get 12v into the car?

Called the AA to assist, but they couldn't get in either, no choice now it has to go to Honda. Nice to know it's secure, but this is a bit too secure!

Will insist that they change the battery, any recommendations on a good replacement?
londiniumperson

I hope you get this sorted quickly.

That is very odd and also extremely worrying from a safety point of view that the physical key cannot unlock the driver's door.

In this situation the only way that it can be transported is by lifting it onto onto a flat bed trailer because obviously it cannot be pulled up a ramp.
Please keep us informed of the outcome.
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

I don't want to be that guy but I've been working in tech support long enough... Are you sure you are using the right key? Maybe there are several hondas in the household and the keys got mixed accidentaly? I just can't see a reason for a car to not be able to unlock with a physical key. Just trying to help :)
bogga

Post by bogga »

I've had a completely dead Honda E before (after accident), and I can tell you, the manual key definitely works.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post