Range and charging rate.

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Looking at the images Rob has posted here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=81

A couple of somewhat worrying things:
  1. If there's 60% charge remaining, yet it's only got an estimated range of 76 km left, that would suggest a total range of only about 127 km (79 miles)!!! The picture with Mariokart would suggest a total range of just under 100 miles. (145 km @ 91%)
  2. If it charged at 60%, yet the car is suggesting 40 minutes remaining until full charge, even though it appears to be connected to a special Honda branded charge, what rate is it actually charging at?! Certainly not 10-80% charge in < 30 mins! It would be averaging just 20 kW for the last 40% of charge, and from the Mariokart image just 11 kW for the last 9%.

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Honest John are saying range of 137 miles after their test.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Rob wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:00 pm Honest John are saying range of 137 miles after their test.
Do you have a link to that? All I can find is their review quoting standard specs and Honda press release stuff.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Let me find it, think it might have been a question on either Twitter or Facebook
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

This wasn't what I read, it was a journo answering but they do reference 137 miles again. Unless they were just quoting the official figures again and the 'true' range will be revealed on Monday?

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

That’s definitely just them quoting the specs. There’s no way they would have been able to do any meaningful range test during the short time they had the car that then came up with exactly the same figure.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Actually the specification section on the UK site now lists 136 miles WLTP for the Standard edition and only 127 miles WLTP for the Advance.
Rei

Post by Rei »

It will depend heavily on how you drive. Some people say they can barely get 50 miles from a Leaf 24, I used to regularly see 90-100 without much effort.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Rei wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:14 pm It will depend heavily on how you drive. Some people say they can barely get 50 miles from a Leaf 24, I used to regularly see 90-100 without much effort.
Oh, then with my lead right foot I'm doomed to only see about 25 miles range. :twisted:
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

After watching almost the entire 11 hours (!) of Bjørn Nyland‘s 660 km drive yesterday, it appears my fear about the range and charge rate are all true.

For a manufacturer to come this late to the EV party and only then up with a “rapid” charge ability of < 50 kW only up to 20%, then much less after, is piss poor.

As for the usable battery capacity only being around 28 kWh, and then is you drive at motorway speeds, thermal impact drops it to around 25 kWh, OMG!!!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post