Number Plate mounting?

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
schodoodles

Post by schodoodles »

Does anyone know if the E has number plate screw mounts behind the existing dealer installed versions?
I want to replace mine with some decent metal pressed versions that don't give free dealer advertising at the same time but wondered if thats a lot of trouble if there are no current mounting holes.

milligoon

Post by milligoon »

You may want to save your money there were changes to plates in the UK in 2021

https://www.platemaster.com/articles/ar ... -legal.htm
Ex e owner
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

milligoon wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:28 pm You may want to save your money there were changes to plates in the UK in 2021

https://www.platemaster.com/articles/ar ... -legal.htm
There are indeed new regulations, however I don't believe that that website is wholly accurate, it seems to contradict itself, with one sentence:
Pressed number plates are therefore illegal on vehicles registered after March 21st, 2001.
and then another of:
If your vehicle was registered after 1980 however, pressed number plates are not legal in the UK.
What I do know with 100% certainty is:
From 1 September 2021 the new standard for number plates, BS AU 145e, will become mandatory for all number plates manufactured and first fixed to a vehicle from that date.

I have pressed plates on my 2020 car and at the time I understood them to comply under BS AU 145d (the previous standard), however I seem to remember that it was a bit of contentious point whether or not they were legal.
I think it is highly unlikely that I'll be pulled over by the police, there are way more cars with blatantly illegal number plates and they aren't being stopped, also worst case is that it's a non-endorsable ticket, only a fine with no points
When I get to needing an MOT, I can ask if they will fail and just swap them out for plates that conform to BS AU 145e and then replace the pressed plates afterwards because I've fitted plate frames.

BTW - I purchased another set of pressed plates at the end of August knowing these new regulations were effective as of 1st September, however if you search on eBay you can still buy them today.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
schodoodles

Post by schodoodles »

Thanks for the responses - AFAIK there is no restriction to the material and the new regs seem to be concerned with the flag/country codes to be used in future but I typically fit them in a surround so can pop the old versions back if necessary and removes the issues of hiding the fixings etc.
https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-pl ... ber-plates

Any thoughts on the mounting though and if there might be pre-drilled fixing points behind the stuck on dealer plates? I was wondering if I could use a riv nut / jack nut to make a proper anchor but would mean drilling the bumper, touching up the edge with paint and then fixing the jack nut?
Weirdly I was fine cutting up my upholstery for the arm rest but drilling 4 holes for plates in the bumpers has me wondering if there is a point!
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

How are your current plates fixed?

I think that you're over thinking this, the bumpers are plastic so won't accept rivnuts, with dealers normally using self tapping screws. I seem to remember that I just used the same holes that had been used for the original plates. The other option is to use double sided foam tape used for fixing number plates.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Fakeplasticman

Post by Fakeplasticman »

Think mines are on with foam tape, surely this is more desirable than screws
schodoodles

Post by schodoodles »

Mine currently uses foam pads with a lower black bit added with all the dealer crud I'd ideally like to remove. I've always hated when the dealers slap their branding on your car anywhere they can - the dealer applied rear window sticker was literally in the middle of my rear screen blocking most of my view so that came off as soon as I was home!

I probably am over thinking this but just wanted to see if I could get some nicer looking plates on it as I've always found the standard dealer supplied just look meh especially on a good looking EV like this plus I usually use a plate surround for ease so was just going with whats worked for me previously. I'm guessing that I may need to go via the acrylic plate route so that I can use sticky pads and have a flat mounting surface if I really want to change these but may mull on it further.
SuperRocket61

Post by SuperRocket61 »

Whatever you do, it would be good to have the new green stripe at the side to indicate that it's a BEV. Mine (a 70) was fitted by the dealer but few EVs seem to have them yet. There is the prospect that it might trigger entry to low emission zones in the future. We can hope. At least it might signal the growing number of us to the general population. Apart from the Tesla badge and a lack of an exhause pipe it's not always easy to tell.
schodoodles

Post by schodoodles »

Figured I'd post an update; I found some Wurth branded number plate surrounds online that seem to offer me the option of having a surround but enough surface area on the rear not missing for screw mounting options to use a mass of sticky pads to mount this without drilling. This then allows me to remove the old using loads of Tar & Glue remover & IPA Alcohol and then stick the surrounds on and worry about what fancy plate I want later.

@SuperRocket61 - The green strip is actually a good shout. With how cities are now pushing for green zones this might be a good idea not just for the Londonites!

Edit: Further update as managed to sort this over the weekend. I found someone had already had at least attempted screws previously by the holes I discovered! I ended up using a combo of screws and adhesive in the end but would suggest that adhesive pads seem to be the method if anyone else is attempting this. Happy to post photos if anyone is remotely interested in the stripped back bumpers.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post