Problem playing audio from USB

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Humungus

Post by Humungus »

I've owned my Honda E (ex dealer demo) for about 5 month's now and allthough I love everything about it, I had nothing but trouble playing audio (MP3) over USB.

No matter what USB stick I try, once playing audio from USB and pressing the voice command button on the steering wheel the whole audio systems hangs and can only brought back to live by restarting the car. But from there, even while not playing music at all a simple push on the voice command button on the steering wheel freezes everyting up again. Also, once the initial freeze has ocurred there are no more spoken directions while navigating, not even after a restart of the car. Only a full factory reset clears the problem for good. That is, until I play music again over USB and then every starts all over again!

I have taken the car to the dealer and all they did was another factory reset to clear the problem again and adviced me to use Bluetooth audio instead. However this doesn't offer the same level of comfort and besisdes, this is no solution to the problem. Now I have tried several USB sticks, 32GB, 16 GB, and 8GB, and limited the amount of songs to under a thousand but the problem just re-occurs. I even tried an old iPod touch (16GB) with the same amount of audiofiles but alas, the same result.

Now at this stage I don't expect much of my dealer anymore. They seems quit happy letting me sort out this problem myself. So I now have my hope pinned on the combined knowledge of this forum, and maybe some of you can answer me these questions:

- Is anyone experiencing the same problems?
- To anyone who plays audio over USB: what USB stick are you using (capacity and brandname / type)?
- What is the largest number of audiofiles that can be played, or can be played within a single folder?

Any help would be nuch appreciated!

Keawon

Post by Keawon »

Hi, i dont play music thru USB, check page 296 and 297 in owners manual. Are you playing copyrighted music?
Also check page 363.
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/man ... ressed.pdf
Humungus

Post by Humungus »

Keawon wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:10 am Hi, i dont play music thru USB, check page 296 and 297 in owners manual. Are you playing copyrighted music?
Also check page 363.
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/man ... ressed.pdf
Yep, checked that but is not very helpfull as there is no mention of a maximum capacity or a maximum number of files. But anyway, for what it does mention all my sticks and my iPod seem to comply.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

What happens when you use the voice command button in these 2 circumstances:
1) USB connected but not playing music.
2) USB not connected at all.

Do you have phone connected at the same time?

You won't get any help from a dealer that's a given.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

can you play usb music without the voice command, ie in the usb app via touch screen?
Ex e owner
Humungus

Post by Humungus »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:46 am What happens when you use the voice command button in these 2 circumstances:
1) USB connected but not playing music.
2) USB not connected at all.

Do you have phone connected at the same time?

You won't get any help from a dealer that's a given.
Once the problem has occurred - and even after a restart of the car - there will be NO audio anymore on the voice command or navigation. That is untill you do a factory reset. It doesn't make any difference whether there is audio playing or not, or even if a USB stick is plugged in or not. Strangly enough music playback itself is not affected by this phenomenon. That is after a restart FM, DAB and USB play just fine, it is just that audio will not return on navigation and voice command untill that factory reset, and that pressing Voice command hangs all audio up again until you restart the car.

I'm pretty sure it's the USB sticks or the USB socket that are causing all this, as after a factory reset everything works fine until I plug my music in. I don't mind buying another stick if that cures the problem but so for none that I have tried did the trick so I'm running out of options here. And maybe this is just an issue with my car only.....
schodoodles

Post by schodoodles »

I think I'm using a SanDisk cruiser due to it being low profile but I've never used it in combo with voice control I'm afraid.

Have you tried killing all the apps from the selection menu and seeing if that helps maybe? Think it's top right button next to the swap screens button and you can swipe up anything that you don't want open much like other Android based OS.

Edit: Used the VC today to cancel my current satnav route as I was near home from a journey this morning while having the audio coming from USB. Seemed fine with no issues; didn't hang at all. The audio paused during the 'listening' and the confirmation then resumed the USB audio and the other systems seemed fine (GPS on Nav still tracked, powerflow reporting as expected etc).
Humungus

Post by Humungus »

schodoodles wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:57 pm I think I'm using a SanDisk cruiser due to it being low profile but I've never used it in combo with voice control I'm afraid.

Have you tried killing all the apps from the selection menu and seeing if that helps maybe? Think it's top right button next to the swap screens button and you can swipe up anything that you don't want open much like other Android based OS.

Edit: Used the VC today to cancel my current satnav route as I was near home from a journey this morning while having the audio coming from USB. Seemed fine with no issues; didn't hang at all. The audio paused during the 'listening' and the confirmation then resumed the USB audio and the other systems seemed fine (GPS on Nav still tracked, powerflow reporting as expected etc).
Thanks Schodoodles for trying this out, much appreciated!!

This morning I tested my USB stick in a 2019 Civic of a friend of mine and all of the audio, voicecommand and satnav worked just find. I'm more and more convinced now thatr this problem is car related. I Guess I'll try my luck once again at the Honda dealer though I'm note very hopefull.