Rear tyre suggestions

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Since a direct replacement for our (now flat) Yokohama Bluearth-a AE50 205/55/R16 91V seems to be unavailable at any tyre fitter, what would be the best alternative, and would I now have to buy two so that I don’t have a mismatch?

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Id replace in pairs myself (always have done).

I'm in the 17inch size, so went for michelin primacy which are pretty hard tyre in the premium bracket (A rated efficiency) , but a slight lack of grip compared to the michelin pilot sport 4.

If you go for stickier/gripper tyres - they will wear quicker but probably be better if you are throwing it about a bit.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Hmm, if I need to replace the pair then maybe I should go for the e.Primacy. They’re A efficiency rated and B wet rated, vs the stock Yokohama’s C/C. They’re a couple of dB quieter too at 69.
The other alternative I can see are the Continental EcoContact 6 which are A/A/71dB. Better wet rating, but I like the idea of quieter tyres than I have now.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I'm considering the following, though they might not be available in the size we want:
  • Michelin e.Primacy
  • Dunlop Sport BluResponse
  • Yokohama BluEarth Yokohama BluEarth-GT AE51
  • Goodyear EfficientGrip
  • Bridgestone Turanza
  • Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3 K127
I made this list a while ago and it was in the order of my preference, subject to price & availability.

Also when mine are due for replacement, which will be in a few months time, I'm thinking about getting the same size all round so I can swap them front to rear to even the wear. I can't see it being a grip issue because the e also has the 16" wheels with the lower grip tyres anyway, also the stability control system has always kicked in and I don't lose grip even when turning whilst pulling out of junctions on a wet road no matter hard I provoke it.

Keep us informed on your decision.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I believe the front and back wheels themselves are not only different offsets but also widths. Even though tyres have a bit of give in them and they could fit on both at the same size, i'm not sure fitting the rear wheels to the front will work out ok?

Not sure if the 16inch wheels/tyres have the same setup?
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
londiniumperson

FYI:

Factory 16” wheel size:
  • Front: 6Jx16 ET50
  • Rear: 7Jx16 ET45
  • Front Tyres 185/60 R16
  • Rear Tyres 205/55 R16
Factory 17” wheel size:
  • Front:6.5Jx17 ET55
  • Rear: 7.5Jx17 ET50
  • Front Tyres 205/45ZR17
  • Rear Tyres 225/45ZR17
These are the tyre width ranges for each wheel width:
Rim width / Min Tyre Width / Ideal Tyre Width / Max Tyre Width
6 Inches 175 mm 185 or 195 mm 205 mm
6.5 Inches 185 mm 195 or 205 mm 215 mm
7.0 Inches 195 mm 205 or 215 mm 225 mm
7.5 Inches 205 mm 215 or 225 mm 235 mm
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Irrespective of the tyre size, with different width rims and offsets, I would definitely check the fitment of the rears on the front to ensure you have sufficient clearance to the suspension strut as the numbers suggest it will be around 8mm closer.
My last 2 cars prior to the e had staggered wheels and to be honest, I never read anyone trying to put the wider rims onto the front as the wider rears are common on rear wheel drive/biased cars as well as having an influence on the handling.
My own thought would be to stick with the set up as stock and just replace the rear tyres when needed. End of the day, the tyres are not so expensive and the cost of changing the rears twice is not really any more expensive than rotating them and buying 4
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Yeah, different widths and offsets - wouldn't fancy swapping front to rear myself in terms of fitment on the car.

The tyre fitters at kwikfit accidently fitted the a front tyre (205) to a rear wheel (225) and they didn't like the look of it (not that I asked for this, they just ballsed it up, but after fitting it they called the boss over lol). It did fit the wheel, but they didn't fit to the car. For the sake of having to replace the rears more often, its not worth the risk. There is a lot of steering articulation so id be worried about that extra width (without the corresponding amount of offset) on the front.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

I went for the Continental in the end, just because they were available today (without having to wait until Wednesday like for the Michelin e.Primacy). Having another look here https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/ ... e=33119002 I see the stock rears are actually A rated for wet grip. This is interesting, since I’ve had the back slip a few times when coming out of a corner too eager. All I can say about these Continental tyres so far is that I’ll need to let them bed in before I make judgement, because right now they’re slipping all over the shop with any amount of oomph applied. The roads are damp though this morning, but yeah, way more slip than the Yokohamas now they’re fresh on.
It does make me believe though that I don’t think I’d want to try anything with LESS wet grip rating than an A (like the e.Primacy, or the Yokohama Bluearth ES32, both B rated). I think the 16” wheels are already compromising grip for efficiency with the narrower width.
On the 205 all round debate, I wouldn’t want to push the front rims to the tyre limit, as I’d be concerned that something might rub on full lock. I’d also loose efficiency benefits again with the extra rubber on road contact. I’ve never had an issue with front wheel grip, so am happy with the 185.
Will be interesting to see if going from efficiency rating C to A actually makes any difference. I’m at 3.6 m/kWh long term average (since it got reset with the firmware update 😡), so let’s see what it is after amity few thousand miles. If it does improve, I’ll get A rated tyres on the front too.
londiniumperson

I had totally forgotten about the different wheel widths, until I posted the wheel size info, so swapping front to rear would be idiotic (says that idiot :?).

There’s probably no point in increasing the width of the fronts even if 205’s should be OK on 16 inch’ers because the larger 17 inch wheels have 205’s.
However I’ll consider looking into 215’s on my rear 17” wheels for a number of reasons, increased efficiency & the 16” wheels only have 205’s, so grip should be OK and there might be more choice of tyres.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post