Rear tyre suggestions

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

EEEE wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:37 pm Id replace in pairs myself (always have done).

I'm in the 17inch size, so went for michelin primacy which are pretty hard tyre in the premium bracket (A rated efficiency) , but a slight lack of grip compared to the michelin pilot sport 4.

If you go for stickier/gripper tyres - they will wear quicker but probably be better if you are throwing it about a bit.
Is that the Primacy 3, 4 or the e.Primacy?
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

FMIB

Post by FMIB »

www.willtheyfit.com is your friend when looking to change tyre and wheels sizes away from stock. If you decrease width with the same profile there will be a change to speedo, ride height and wheel arch gap. Only a small change in this case.
Fortunately the e is not all wheel drive, where its necessary to keep the changes between front and rear to less than 1%.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

As an update, driving again in the dry, and obviously after they’ve done a few miles, and I can’t now get the back end to spin out even in Sport Mode, so I reckon they’re stickier than the Yokohamas.
As for efficiency, only one proper journey so far, but I was surprised at the figures. A journey to Holland Park and back, that has a stretch of M1 at the start going in and at the end coming back, seemed significantly better than usual. I’m sure I’d normally see < 4 miles/kWh.

7BE67422-DBDE-4452-8D0D-9D3C8A664C15.jpeg

As an aside, have any of you ever had it where the tracking seems thrown out after getting new rear tyres? This is what the steering wheel now looks like when driving straight ahead on a level road:

63B1C438-CAB4-4541-A2B2-331C689BA49C.jpeg

londiniumperson

rickwookie wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:38 pm ....
As an aside, have any of you ever had it where the tracking seems thrown out after getting new rear tyres? This is what the steering wheel now looks like when driving straight ahead on a level road:
As Spock might comment on your tracking, "that's highly illogical", however as for the tyres it looks like those Continental's will now be on my radar seeing as they are available for the 17's at some places.
One question, have you really burnt though a set of rear tyres in under 7500 miles?
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

That steering certainly is not right, best take it back to get it checked.
4 miles/kwh is good, something I struggle to achieve.
A recent 17 mile trip on good A roads with speed limits of 40 and 50mph, I only achieved 3.2 on the way and 3.7 on the way back. On my ICE cars, I have always been able to achieve excellent economy, as high as 43mpg on 3lit 6 cylinder petrol vehicles, so for now I am blaming the 17 inch PS4's
londiniumperson

FMIB wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:58 pm That steering certainly is not right, best take it back to get it checked.
4 miles/kwh is good, something I struggle to achieve.
A recent 17 mile trip on good A roads with speed limits of 40 and 50mph, I only achieved 3.2 on the way and 3.7 on the way back. On my ICE cars, I have always been able to achieve excellent economy, as high as 43mpg on 3lit 6 cylinder petrol vehicles, so for now I am blaming the 17 inch PS4's
Same here on economy, as you I've always easily exceeded the advertised mpg on ICE cars when I've wanted to, however in the Honda since the beginning of the year for example I've been getting 2.4-2.7m/kWh each week of 150-350 miles.
Hopefully when I get to change the tyres, it will elicit better economy.
Last edited by londiniumperson on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

[/quote]
Same here on economy, as you I've always easily exceeded the advertised mpg on ICE cars when I've wanted to, however in the Honda since the beginning of the year for example I've been getting 2.4-2.7m/kWh each week of 150-350 miles.
Hopefully when I get to change the tyres it will elicit better economy.
[/quote]

2.4 - 2.7m/kWh is similar to what I am generally averaging at the moment. Most of my journeys are very short, 2 or 3 miles at most which hardly helps efficiency.
I have always chosen my tyres on wet and dry grip performance over rolling resistance, so no real complaints with the PS4's at this time, However, I may have to reconsider my priorities when the time to change eventually comes.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:59 pm One question, have you really burnt though a set of rear tyres in under 7500 miles?
No, they had loads of fat left on them. Had two screws in the off-side tyre. First one must have been months ago, as I had the tyre pressure warning come on, so I tipped them all up and found that one to be the only one that was a bit low. Was fine until last week when it came on again, topped up to find same tyre low (1.95 bar rather than the spec 2.4 bar). Next day came home to find it on the drive with that same tyre totally flat. Wife must have driven it on it flat too as it had a lovely score mark around the side wall where the rim had been riding on it. That was that tyre buggered then, and hence my OP, as I couldn’t find anyone fitting the original Yokohamas (actually there was one on Amazon but I wasn’t going to fit it myself) and I didn’t want mismatching tyres on the rear. An expensive fail on my part for not getting it looked at as soon as it was low the first time.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

rickwookie wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:34 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:59 pm One question, have you really burnt though a set of rear tyres in under 7500 miles?
No, they had loads of fat left on them. Had two screws in the off-side tyre. First one must have been months ago, as I had the tyre pressure warning come on, so I tipped them all up and found that one to be the only one that was a bit low. Was fine until last week when it came on again, topped up to find same tyre low (1.95 bar rather than the spec 2.4 bar). Next day came home to find it on the drive with that same tyre totally flat. Wife must have driven it on it flat too as it had a lovely score mark around the side wall where the rim had been riding on it. That was that tyre buggered then, and hence my OP, as I couldn’t find anyone fitting the original Yokohamas (actually there was one on Amazon but I wasn’t going to fit it myself) and I didn’t want mismatching tyres on the rear. An expensive fail on my part for not getting it looked at as soon as it was low the first time.
Normally I would point the finger at the front wheels for your steering wheel position, but driving around on the rim with a non run flat for any significant distance could be a reason your steering is off.
Did the tyre fitter inspect the rim and confirm no damage ?
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

if it was an aircraft then asymmetric thust would require the use of opposite rudder. Not much use here, that, unless you have a significantly different drive force being applied to the L & R sides - which the diff would take out anyway until it (the force (torque) difference) got to be overly large: I've no idea what the car's traction management system would make of that...
(the inference being one of the stupidly bl**ding obvious, i.e. that the rolling radius of the two new rear tyres is the same...?!)
Anyway, as FMIB and Londinium say, the front wheel/steer rack assy is the most likely place: The tyre guys didn't accidentally jack the steering sys while you weren't looking, did they?

atb - ttp

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post