Quick Plug-in charging system problem

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Taskinen

Post by Taskinen »

Hello, long time reader, first time poster here.

December 2020 Honda e Advance. 13000 km driven. Imported from Germany to Finland on December 2021.

12 Volt battery replaced once on January 2022. Was not able to hold charge, and car was not able to start without a jump cables with a booster. Now with the new battery, only had the issue once after leaving the car on Accessory-mode for too long. Otherwise has been flawless.

I have been mostly charging slowly on AC, but doing fast DC charging 4-6 times before successfully. Yesterday I was charging with a 250 kW Kempower DC fast charger for 31 minutes, everything was going smoothly, car was charging as expected (30-40 kW), but when I stopped the charging with a mobile app the charge lid lights started blinking red (or orange?) rapidly. I disconnected the charging cable and thought "weird, I don't remember seeing that color before". I entered the car and started it up, immediately the following errors appeared:

- Power System Problem. Power may be reduced.
- Quick Plug-in charging system problem. Standard charging is available.

PXL_20220708_233143764.jpg

PXL_20220708_233138822.jpg

Car was running smoothly, power seemed normal. I tried several restarts, but the errors stayed.

I arrived home and connected the slow AC home charger. Car started charging normally.

The errors are still present today morning. I tried the following:

- Check fuse number 20 (10A fuse labeled "Quick charge system" from the driver's side), it was OK.
- Disconnected the 12 Volt battery briefly, somehow hoping that it would clear/reset the errors.
- Checked the Self Diagnostics Menu, but nothing was showing errors there. The "Error Codes" button is yellow though, I'm not sure if it's normally that color. But the error codes page does not show anything. Pressing the Clear button there does not do anything.

The owner's manual says that if those two errors appear simultaneously, contact service. If only the "Quick charge problem" appears, then it's something to do with the charger, and it recommends trying a different charger.

I have not yet tried DC fast charging again. Maybe I will do that today.

Any tips? I will contact Honda service on Monday if this will not resolve.

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I'm wondering if this is the same issue some have seen when using the Telsa chargers, please keep us informed of the outcome.

Thanks
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Taskinen

Post by Taskinen »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:27 pm I'm wondering if this is the same issue some have seen when using the Telsa chargers, please keep us informed of the outcome.
Oh, there has been problems with them? What kind? How they have been resolved?
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

Mat not be relevant but my Civic battery discharged in the garage when I was in hospital from Covid. On charging up half the display was missing, and resetting and disconnecting the battery made no difference. I rang my dealer service centre and they solved the problem by saying disconnect the battery for 10 mins, not just a few seconds, the electronics needs to discharge all the capacitors and power residue. Might be worth trying if it is not hardware and just a software problem?
Taskinen

Post by Taskinen »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:08 pm See this topic:
Tesla Supercharger Network Opened To Non-Tesla In UK
Interesting. Seems very similar problem, although mine is not caused by Tesla charger.

I just tried charging with a 22 kW AC charger (7,2 kW for Honda e) and the charging worked but it did not clear the errors.

Then I tried charging with a 50 kW fast DC charger, which had worked previously. But now immediately after connecting the cable to the car, the charging lid light starts flashing red. If I try to start the charging, after the handshake attempt the charger says that it was unable to establish a connection to the car.

So now the DC charging is completely broken. I will call Honda service on Monday.
Taskinen

Post by Taskinen »

5thcivic wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:13 pm Mat not be relevant but my Civic battery discharged in the garage when I was in hospital from Covid. On charging up half the display was missing, and resetting and disconnecting the battery made no difference. I rang my dealer service centre and they solved the problem by saying disconnect the battery for 10 mins, not just a few seconds, the electronics needs to discharge all the capacitors and power residue. Might be worth trying if it is not hardware and just a software problem?
Good point, maybe I'll try tomorrow disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. Thanks for the tip!
Last edited by Taskinen on Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
555djx

Post by 555djx »

Dealer visit was required to fix the DC non-charging issue. Warranty repair costing around £800 to replace the battery charge control unit was required to resolve.
2021 SEAT Mii electric Tornado Red 09/21 - 11/22 & 04/23 to ??
2017 Honda Civic 1.5L VTEC Turbo Prestige Auto Orchid White Pearl 12/22 to ??
2022 Citroën Ami Pop 11/22 - 04/23
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s 12/20 - 12/22
Taskinen

Post by Taskinen »

Nope, having the 12 volt battery disconnected for 2 hours did not clear the errors. Also, charging the drive batteries to 100% did not clear them.

So AC charging up to 7.2 kW works, but DC charging is broken.

I will call Honda service tomorrow. I'll report back here.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Honda should be contacting owners with guidance on this issue and what they intend to do about it, when the car came out it was stated that they could accept 100kW charge which they clearly don't, should that have read we can only use up to 100 kW DC chargers? I know that there can be components that can fail in anything but we need to know where we stand as owners when having issues with DC fast charging, this after all is Honda's first mass produced EV they could have a design flaw.

Maybe worth us getting onto our dealerships with our concerns?
Ex e owner

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post