Ongoing 12v battery problem

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Onthecharge wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:20 am Dealer has contacted me this morning, Honda UK have said the problem is that if the new 12 volt battery in not fully charge when fitted and is in a semi discharged state the E will only recharge the 12 volt battery to the semi discharged state as fitted ( if that makes sense ? ) I am not convinced this is the cause ,we shall see !
Interesting.
I can see logic in that, but if that is the case, then many people in the Honda requirements, development & testing dropped the ball big time on this.
It's pretty obvious that any system should be designed to be independent of external factors where possible because this makes it quicker, easier & cheaper to integrate into the end product and re-use in others. It's the 101 of corporate company manufacture engineering.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

Wee Peem

Post by Wee Peem »

The dealer was talking a load of cobblers there. Just some words to get you out the door and off his hands I reckon.
Onthecharge

Post by Onthecharge »

Like I said I'm not convinced with the explanation of the fully charged battery scenario , you can't get to talk to a technician. Service reception just read off the job sheet and give you the keys and offer coffee, time will tell if it's a permanent fix or get you out the door fix.
Onthecharge

Post by Onthecharge »

I picked the E up yesterday Saturday 22nd It looks like a brand new battery has been fitted ( I marked the fitted 3rd one ) The main battery was fully charged and my battery monitor refitted. Finger crossed this will cure the problem but I'm not holding my breath .
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

The cause is simple they are to small a capacity to hold charge for a long period given the nature of these cars never really being off.
Ex e owner
Onthecharge

Post by Onthecharge »

Yes your right there's a lot of power needed to run the screens and cameras etc. but what I can't understand is why the software will not automatically charge the 12 volt battery from the main power pack when it starts to run low if the car is parked with an almost full charge in the traction battery.
Flatagain

Post by Flatagain »

Please keep us updated as I’m seeing the same issue!!

I have a 2020 e with 7000 miles I bought from a local dealer last month. Day one it left me stranded after being driven a decent amount and then left for 10mins. The dealer mechanic drove out and got it running and it went back for ‘checking’ but no issues apparently.

Since then it went back last week with same flat 12v even though I use the car every day so it’s not left to go flat. Now it’s flat again this morning after parking up at 7pm the night before.

I could understand if the car was left and not used but I’m using the car daily and being super careful to ensure I turn it off completely and don’t accidentally leave any lights on etc as that is what I’m being told is the issue.

Interestingly I told the dealer I would be sending it back every single time this happened until something is done and when I asked if any other owners were having issues they admitted there were others. I know all BEV’s can suffer similar issues but it just seems the Honda e issues are worse as the car will be unusable for me if this continues. Has anyone heard anything official from Honda about a fix??
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

How long are you driving it for each day out of interest?

It's a shame there isn't much more room in the battery tray for something bigger than 45ah.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Onthecharge

Post by Onthecharge »

No short journeys 45/ 50 miles in one go, so around 90/100 miles out and back, + parked up for anything up to 4/5 hours then on to overnight charge on Hypervolt charger at home.
Flatagain

Post by Flatagain »

I use it on 20min run minimum. It’s usually run for at least 30mins per day.

I’m convinced there is something quirky with the 12v charging system on the car. There were a few posts mentioning that the main traction battery will not charge the 12v if it’s above 90% state of charge. It would be interesting to see if anyone had a definitive answer on this.

I’m currently taking manual readings of the 12v with a multimeter to see how quickly it’s being drained. It’s also interesting that the Honda e doesn’t appear to have the ability to display battery voltage? Surely the system should monitor this and then provide charge from the traction battery if it drops too low.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post