Air fan & cabin filter issue - broken after service!

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
betonos

Post by betonos »

Hi,

I've just picked up my Honda e from yearly service at dealer and noticed the air fan inside cabin is producing strange noise - low pitched kind of "growl". The noise was more apparent the higher the speed. It was not there before the service.

Knowing that they've replaced cabin filter as part of the service I've just peeked inside and found this:

IMG_404DFABB4999-1.jpeg

Now there are two issues: there is some kind of compartment open above the air filter - it definately shouldn't be open, as now there is no connection between the air inflow duct on top and the filter.
Second, there is part of debris visible on the right side, after inspection, something broke of from somewhere:

IMG_43708263B349-1.jpeg

I've removed the broken part from the filter and closed the lid, however the lid doesn't latch in any way and also after closing the sound becomes much less audible, but it's still there.

I'm going to schedule visit to the service, but what the hell is going on? How does this compartment look in the car when closed? Does it latch? Is the part kind of broken latch? Any feedback?

PS: does anybody have servicing manual?

tiitsu

Post by tiitsu »

I also have issues after service with air fan & cabin filter. Now with the higher fan speeds I get high pitched whistling sound. Checked filter and it looks exactly correct and similar than before, but for sure sound was not there before the service.
Honda e Advance 2020
betonos

Post by betonos »

tiitsu wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:08 am I also have issues after service with air fan & cabin filter. Now with the higher fan speeds I get high pitched whistling sound. Checked filter and it looks exactly correct and similar than before, but for sure sound was not there before the service.
Can you tell me if this open space above air filter compartment is how it’s supposed to be?
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Please can you photograph from further away because your photo is too close to understand what exactly you’re trying to show?
It’s been about a year since I looked at my cabin filter, but from my poor memory, to me it looks like that’s the wrong filter as it should fill the aperture completely.
Once you’ve added a couple of more photos of your's, I’ll try and have a look and compare to mine and let you know know I find.
Last edited by londiniumperson on Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
betonos

Post by betonos »

I will try to make better pohoto but access is limited and it's difficult.
Anyways, I've pinpointed the problem after analysis: the lid is a lid from open/closed air flow. When you open airflow, the lid should get closed by small electric motor to let air from outside. If you close airflow, the lid should open to circulate air within cabin. However, the broken part I found is from the latch closing mechanism - my latch stays in open position and doesn't close by itself (i can move it by hand which probably I shouldn't be able to). I have no idea how this part bacame broken, may be coincidentally with service visit, maybe something blocked the latch and got it broken IDK. What I know is, that I now need to get this lid replaced (hopefuly under warranty). This problem is different to the original humming noise that I heard and that's something else that I'm gonna ask at the dealer service. They have another honda e at the dealer currently so we can compare the noise car-by-car.
betonos

Post by betonos »

1) the noise was because of leaf stuck near the fan - removed by service, no noise now
2) the cover hinge was indentified to be broken. Replacement is ordered and will get it installed next week.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

betonos wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:39 pm 1) the noise was because of leaf stuck near the fan - removed by service, no noise now
2) the cover hinge was indentified to be broken. Replacement is ordered and will get it installed next week.
Good to hear the issue is resolved.

I think I know why I was confused by your photo, I thought that you had just unclipped the glovebox and had removed the cabin filter cover, but it appears you had photographed from underneath from the footwell.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post