What should be in the boot tray?

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Verone

Post by Verone »

salix wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:39 pm I realise this is off-topic, but what's it like having an EV in Iceland? I gather there's a high percentage of EVs. Is there a good network of charging stations? A quick look on Google looks like it's decent in the north and SW but I can't see any along the East coast?
It's great having an EV here, and the charging infrastructure is getting better all the time with new chargers popping up all over the place.

Charging my e is costing me about Kr. 4-600 (about £3) on average and if I stick to chargers that are operated by my home electricity provider, then I get a 20% discount off my vehicle charging and home electricity every month.

Just checking the figures at Samgöngustofa (the Icelandic version of the DMV or DVLA), BEVs are leading the sales figures substantially now, and have been creeping to the front since 2020.

This is the state of car sales in Iceland this year so far:

SALES.png

In terms of google, their general map updating for Iceland is pretty shit, most people use map.is or ja.is/kort for general maps, as these provide much more up to date and higher res imagery of Iceland.

Iceland is VERY app focused when it comes to getting stuff done, so most of the charging providers just have their own apps. If you can do it on the internet, there's an app for it - banking, pensions, healthcare, pretty much anything you can think of. I can do everything from ordering a pizza to paying my bills, organizing a pension, car insurance, or even buying a car on my phone, without ever needing to speak to someone. For instance, when I bought my e, the only time I physically went to the dealer was to test drive one, then to collect the car. Everything else was done via my phone or with a quick email here and there.

Most of the apps not developed in Iceland such as evnavigation, plugshare and chargemap tend not to be very up to date because of the speed at which chargers are being added here.

All the charging networks here have apps with their own listings in, plus they have regular websites where you can see their charging networks. The two main ones that I use are ON.IS (my home electricity provider) and Isorka.is, who have a pretty good network too. I mainly started using Isorka because they were the provider that was providing free charging at my place of work, however they've now swapped to ON, so I don't use Isorka much these days.

There's four or five main charging networks in Iceland, and the coverage is pretty good. There's one area in the north east of the country between Seyðisfjörður and Akureyri where there's about a 300km stretch of Route 1 (the Icelandic Ring Road) that's got no charging infrastructure, but apparently ON and N1 (the largest and most prominent gas station company in Iceland) are starting to plan out chargers for that area.

There are also a lot of "free" chargers in downtown Reykjavik in pay and display parking garages, where you'll pay to park as normal, and you can charge for free in the EV bays there as part of the parking fee.

The price is the main benefit for me though, my fuel costs have dropped by about 90% since I bought my e.
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km

salix

Post by salix »

Verone wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:08 pm
salix wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:39 pm I realise this is off-topic, but what's it like having an EV in Iceland? I gather there's a high percentage of EVs. Is there a good network of charging stations? A quick look on Google looks like it's decent in the north and SW but I can't see any along the East coast?
It's great having an EV here, and the charging infrastructure is getting better all the time with new chargers popping up all over the place.
This is fascinating, thank you! I've been eyeing up Iceland for a potential trip, and it sounds more like my kind of place every day!
Advance charge yellow 16" alloys, 2020 bought used 2022
upsilon

Post by upsilon »

I'm missing mine as well. Just wondering are they using the same pattern for all Honda E? attached is the photo showing mine.

Any idea where can we purchase it?

Lock Nut.jpg

salix

Post by salix »

upsilon wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:58 am I'm missing mine as well. Just wondering are they using the same pattern for all Honda E? attached is the photo showing mine.

Apparently there are 10-20 different patterns for Honda e's. Mine is different to yours. I have managed to find a key code on a business card sized card, and I think if I can get through to a Honda dealer parts department then I can order a replacement by giving them the code number. However, there are websites that allow you to upload your photo and for a price (around £45) they will give you the key code, if you don't have it (type "REPLACEMENT LOCKING KEY MATCHING SERVICE" into google to find these websites), and then you can give that code to a Honda dealer to order a replacement. An alternative is to KwitFit (if in the UK, or similar tyre fitting garage) and they have a special mould that allows them to remove the nut without having the nut key. Then you can replace them with standard nuts, so that at least you can take the tyres off whenever you need to. Wheel theft is apparently nowhere near the problem it used to be, so standard wheel nuts will be fine.
upsilon

Post by upsilon »

salix wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:09 am
upsilon wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:58 am I'm missing mine as well. Just wondering are they using the same pattern for all Honda E? attached is the photo showing mine.

Apparently there are 10-20 different patterns for Honda e's. Mine is different to yours. I have managed to find a key code on a business card sized card, and I think if I can get through to a Honda dealer parts department then I can order a replacement by giving them the code number. However, there are websites that allow you to upload your photo and for a price (around £45) they will give you the key code, if you don't have it (type "REPLACEMENT LOCKING KEY MATCHING SERVICE" into google to find these websites), and then you can give that code to a Honda dealer to order a replacement. An alternative is to KwitFit (if in the UK, or similar tyre fitting garage) and they have a special mould that allows them to remove the nut without having the nut key. Then you can replace them with standard nuts, so that at least you can take the tyres off whenever you need to. Wheel theft is apparently nowhere near the problem it used to be, so standard wheel nuts will be fine.
Thanks for sharing, let me try these.
salix

Post by salix »

upsilon wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:09 am Thanks for sharing, let me try these.
You're welcome - good luck! I have today got through to a different Honda dealer, and they have a master set of locking wheel nut keys, unlike the first ones. So I've booked the car in for the handbrake issue, and while they're at it they will identify it for me and order me in a replacement.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post