Headlight issue, drivers keep flashing

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Mark25810

Post by Mark25810 »

Headlight question as i am getting people flash me as if they think high beams are on

I saw on other posts you can not alter height of the headlights yourself, at first i thought mine were ok but had 4 cars flash me on way home from work tonight so i flashed highbeam back so they knew it was not on

I have the lights on auto, and they are nice and bright, also noticed on darker roads the headlight that shines on the opposite side of the road is set further back towards me more than the light that shines on my side of the road...i presume that is so cars can get closer to you as they pass and not have the headlights in their face for as long.

Anyway i thought while driving i would turn auto off and switch it to the 2 headlight symbol...to my shock it looked as if my lights all turned off as i could hardly see the road at all.

I got home and parked and i switched the auto on which shows the headlights on the dash and they were as what ive been using all along....switched to the manual headlight setting and the symbol on the screen stayed the same....because i had the house close to front of my car instead of me thinking before the lights were off...they were on but super dull....more like the welcome lights when you unlock the car....uselss for roads as I couldn't tell anything was on

I have taken a pic to show what setting i mean and you can see kinda the light out the window

Is this normal and my headlights when on auto just need to be lowered by a dealer?

Someone on facebook says the symbol thats like 2 lights shining together is side lights only but i do not think this is the case....because if i set to auto at night then that symbol is on screen and my lights are bright....if i turn the dial to the same symbol on screen then the lights seem to all go out but after stopping and looking its the very faint ring light that is on only so no good for night driving

And if i set the dial to the very bottom which is what i was told the manual headlight setting the lights on the dash are still the 2 lights and not the image he aays i should have of juat a green headlight shining forward....also this setting the lights outside stay the same as when i have them on auto

IMG_20231212_215406.jpg

IMG_20231212_215417.jpg

IMG_20231212_225453.jpg

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Your observations are correct.

The green symbol does not mean headlights, it means sidelights. The sidelights at night are very dim naturally. They are not the same as the daytime running lights which are quite bright (but not useful for night driving obviously). The DRL do not show the symbol.

Have you turned off the auto high beam feature? I'm pretty sure that the blue light comes on on the dash when its activated so I'm sure you would have noticed this. I have turned this feature off on both cars, it does not work well enough.

There is no headlight adjustment available to the user. Other road users flash occasionally, I usually attribute this to elevation differences or inclines, large pools of water reflecting on the road, or dirty headlights which tend to create bright spots on the front of the car.

The car does feature electrically adjustable headlight aim (vertical only) and there is a module somewhere in the car bolted to the chassis to report the angle of the car and adjust the headlight accordingly.

It would be useful to see the headlight aim when parked facing a flat surface , it seems a little high on the right but hard to tell due to the bushes.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Mark25810

Post by Mark25810 »

Thank you for the reply. Those light symbols i have on the speedo screen are always on....when i have set to auto they are on and the lights are brighter like headlights, if i set the dial to those symbols then its as if the lights all go off and can not see anything on the road...it was when i got home inrealised they were on but ultra faint

But if i set the dial to the lowest option which is that half moon with a light ray to the right side of it....the lights stay the exact same as when they are set in auto.

Am i supposed to have that headlight symbol showing on my screen? As it only shows on my screen in a flash when i first start the car....and no matter what setting i ise that symbol never showd on screen...just those 2 lights facing each other.

I am pretty sure when i have it in auto as ive had since getting the car that the lughts shining is infact the headlights as the middle bulb is lit.

Its just someone on fb told me i should have the green headlight symbol showing and i never have

I did turn off the auto assist with the A inside the light symbol and i know my high beams are not on as i can push and pull the stalk to get them on and the blue symbol shows.

I am just wondering if its actually working ok and as you described when the car moves up and down the lights go into people's faces....which often happens with me and other cars where i think they have high beams onits just last night i had atleast 4 cars flash me so i flashed them back
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

You are misunderstanding the dash symbol.

The green light symbol is rather uselessly telling you you have your sidelights on. This is irrespective of what your dipped beams (headlights) are doing.

In auto, when its dark, your sidelights and dipped beam will be on, but there is no indicator light on the dash for dipped beam.

When you twiddle the stalk past auto, you are selecting sidelights only. The green light stays on on the dash, but your headlights/dipped beams go off naturally.

When you twiddle further to the dipped beam setting, your headlights come on, but the dash still just indicates sidelights on. I do not believe there is an indicator for dipped beams, just full beams (in blue, as you have seen).

Everything you report is correct, there is no fault with the vehicle.

I have never been happy with my headlight aim or adjustment - it seems to have been set very low by someone somehow, presumably to avoid dazzling people under high acceleration (it came from a city location). It does not seem that the auto adjustment can take into account instantaneous acceleration, which makes the whole thing rather pointless, like most things with the car to be honest. Since the car can squat considerably on roll out from a standing start, the fact the headlights cannot self level is quite annoying.

I tested the headlight aim actuators with my scan tool, and the headlight beam can aim up and down a fair margin - but it seems not be used to its full extent for some reason. Perhaps Honda forgot to implement the feature or program it correctly.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Mark25810

Post by Mark25810 »

Ah thanks, the guy saying otherwise had me confused lol

I know a honda dealer can alter the headlights to be lower or higher as ive seen screenshots someone showed of 2 white cog like things that you turn and it alters it so i may see if i can get mine lowered, saying that I personally think its people over reacting.

On a certain road its a long dark 60mph road every so often there are thise horizontal bumps you can drive over at 60mph so not sure what their purpose is....anywya on this dark road i can see exactly where my beam reaches as it looks very...outlined if you know what i mean

And the ones who flash me are not even in the resch of where the beam is going to be in their face

Ill see what happens, ill just keep flashing them back as i find it irritating so they can have a dose of it back 🤣
Mark25810

Post by Mark25810 »

Mum tried to take a pic but phone was not getting it right but can kinda see

How the beam on the left lane i am in stretches a tad futher than the one in opposite lane

I had noone flash me tonight lol

IMG_20231213_213207.jpg

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Mark25810 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:48 pm Ah thanks, the guy saying otherwise had me confused lol

I know a honda dealer can alter the headlights to be lower or higher as ive seen screenshots someone showed of 2 white cog like things that you turn and it alters it so i may see if i can get mine lowered, saying that I personally think its people over reacting.

On a certain road its a long dark 60mph road every so often there are thise horizontal bumps you can drive over at 60mph so not sure what their purpose is....anywya on this dark road i can see exactly where my beam reaches as it looks very...outlined if you know what i mean

And the ones who flash me are not even in the resch of where the beam is going to be in their face

Ill see what happens, ill just keep flashing them back as i find it irritating so they can have a dose of it back 🤣
Admittedly I only looked briefly, but the adjustment on the E I believe is for full beams and not for dipped beams so that wont be much help to you. They do look a touch higher than mine , I don't get flashed (but at the same time, i cannot see far on a 60mph country road). I will revisit the scan tool and headlights to see if the adjustment can be altered.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Japanese LED lights are bright.

My GT86 was the same I kept getting flashed.

I had the lights checked by an MOT station after being flashed lots of times, they were spot on.

I think the short wheelbase doesn't help on some road angles and the car can be tilting slightly up.
Ex e owner

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post