Sudden drop in charge

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Yesterday on the motorway home, we were estimated to arrive with 10% charge. However from 15% the charge started dropping rapidly and about 2km later we were down to 10%. Next second it dropped to 5% in one go :o :shock:

Not knowing if it would happen again and if we would be stranded on the motorway we took the first exit and the longer country road home (10km). Charged barely dropped further and we arrived home with 4%.

Anybody tried similar? Is it a 'normal' computing error or a fault in development?

We newer had similar issues, in 35000km / 4yrs ownership.

iHansz

Post by iHansz »

In my opinion, this is not strange. It is not a precision instrument and should be seen more as an estimate. I always make sure, if I still have to drive a bit, to top up at a fast charger when I have 20% remaining. Once I ended up at 9% left and that was already very exciting for me. Just think about getting home and ending up in a traffic jam (which happens a lot here in the Netherlands). :shock:
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
E-vteclover

Post by E-vteclover »

With this in mind .
Do you charge sometimes to 100% ?
Or long time ago you did charge to 100%?
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

This is normal, I find that as soon as you get to about 12% it starts to disappears very quickly - especially at speed because the voltage drop is comparatively higher.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Thanks for replies. Good food for thought.

Car has been charged to 100% through the winter but rarely been below 40%.

As the E was sitting at 100% this morning I couldn't resist testing if it should be reoccurring. Emptied the battery as fast as possible up and down the motorway (lots of roadwork keep speed down). Did 113km in about an hour during which charged dropped consistently at about 10%/11km. Only sub 10% seemed inconsistent (probably as EEEE explain). No sudden drops. Ended at 1%. Now charging and keeping an eye on the power delivered 🤓
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

EEEE wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:01 am This is normal, I find that as soon as you get to about 12% it starts to disappears very quickly - especially at speed because the voltage drop is comparatively higher.
As mentioned this is 'normal' for the Honda e and as been mentioned many times on this forum, just use the search facility :shock:
There appears to be about 15 miles of range left at zero SoC, as I've mentioned on a couple of previous threads, I've been down to zero and the car still performs as normal, also there are a few YouTube videos showing EV's (Honda e included) running on for quite a few miles when the GOM is showing zero miles/zero SoC.

I suspect it's to scare drivers into charging before they do actually run out of charge and end up stranded.
BTW - If you breakdown on a road in the UK due to an empty traction battery, then the police can and have charged (no pun intended) EV drivers as they consider this an offence. Strangely I've never heard of ICE drivers being charged of this offence, but then it doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Verone

Post by Verone »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:48 am I suspect it's to scare drivers into charging before they do actually run out of charge and end up stranded.
BTW - If you breakdown on a road in the UK due to an empty traction battery, then the police can and have charged (no pun intended) EV drivers as they consider this an offence. Strangely I've never heard of ICE drivers being charged of this offence, but then it doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
Yep, I've driven a few different EVs and pretty much all of them perform like this - it's kind of the same as your phone, where battery just vanishes super fast once you're at a low SoC. I think it's a psychology thing for sure.

On the charging people for running out of juice thing - this is also an offence for ICE drivers, too, and I've heard of them being charged as well - typically this is when you run out of fuel/charge on a section of road that's classified as "no stopping, except in emergencies" and is signposted that way.

Running out of fuel/charge isn't classed as an emergency per the highway code, it's classed as driver error, and usually comes with a charge of driving without due care and attention if you're on a section of carriageway that's marked as "no stopping", which kind of makes sense to be honest.
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km
happyV

Post by happyV »

It's not that uncommon, but I only noticed that behaviour below 5%. But on longer trips I always use my own app to monitor the actual SoC. I often drove below 0%, because there are still around 10% left and when you can see the actual number range anxiety is no longer a problem.

And my battery is pretty bad already with only around 85% SoH after only 45000km. Bad luck on my side here...😕
hondaeboy

Post by hondaeboy »

Verone wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:08 pm Yep, I've driven a few different EVs and pretty much all of them perform like this - it's kind of the same as your phone, where battery just vanishes super fast once you're at a low SoC. I think it's a psychology thing for sure.
Yeah, I agree. 5% of charge is 5% of charge. However, it does *feel* like going from 5% to 0% goes a lot faster. :D
Verone wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:08 pm On the charging people for running out of juice thing - this is also an offence for ICE drivers, too, and I've heard of them being charged as well - typically this is when you run out of fuel/charge on a section of road that's classified as "no stopping, except in emergencies" and is signposted that way.
That's true, and that's why I'm glad the car gives you a (more or less fake) emergency warning and actually tells you to put the car in P mode.
2021 Honda e Advance on 16" RC30 wheels with Goodyear 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
Wrapped in Red metallic with full black and cinnamon leather interior.
hondaeboy

Post by hondaeboy »

happyV wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:43 pm And my battery is pretty bad already with only around 85% SoH after only 45000km. Bad luck on my side here...😕
How did you calculate this number?
2021 Honda e Advance on 16" RC30 wheels with Goodyear 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
Wrapped in Red metallic with full black and cinnamon leather interior.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post