System & media centre software

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
eread

Post by eread »

One thing I have questioned about the media centre is if the ability to use the HDMI/Play videos is disabled when driving? I ask because of the dual-screen it would make perfect sense to let a passenger watch a video/media while driving.

I know a few companies are rather strict on this "put the handbrake on to watch videos" etc. I know people with aftermarket double din radio units that have this they just wire the parking brake wire to any ground and it works whenever.

Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

To use the HDMI you need to be in Parking mode so you cannot put it in Drive. It is a software issue.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

The funny thing is that everyone in Japan drives with live TV or videos on in their cars. Maybe it's an EU law thing here?
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

iHansz wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:17 pm The funny thing is that everyone in Japan drives with live TV or videos on in their cars. Maybe it's an EU law thing here?
Like they say, common sense is not actually very common after all!
Do you really need a law to tell you that it's not safe to drive a car whilst watching TV?
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

But if you are allowed to connect an HDMI device while driving is not only to watch TV. You can connect an android box or any android device and then you will have any app that is available on Google play store. Better than Tesla. What I would like to know is if you can control it with the touch screen while showing via HDMI. Because as far as I know there are some apps that allows android auto to mirror your phone, and that means while driving, but your phone display has to stay on all the time.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

I own a honda e for about a week now and he infotainment is absolute rubbish. They tried so hard to make it retro that they actually ruined the ability to make use of too 12" screens... I can order cheap and better 2 din android radio from al!express with android 10...

º Android auto - Doesn't work with too different phones, didn't try carplay.
º No standalone music/video player.
º Can't upload a simple wallpaper that covers both screens.
º Can't mirror screen with wifi.
º I'm not going to mention the utter sh** that is the garmin nav system, come on it's 2020... I have to use my phone with google maps to drive yesterday because there was almost a complete village missing. I do use offline maps in my phone (HERE maps) it's free and just destroys garmin. :x

In all honesty I love the car (even the range is manageable) but for what I paid... it's a 2020 car with 2014 nav system on both screens. :cry:
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

That doesn't sound so great!
The German translation of the system also contains lots of errors. "Current Drive" was translated as "Aktuelles Laufwerk" – German for the currently used floppy disk drive (some may remember this technology)

"º Can't upload a simple wallpaper that covers both screens."
Have you tried a .png file and 4096x1196 pixels ? See Rei’s new thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=255

Can't mirror screen with wifi."
There are al lot of cheap HDMI-dongles for that available…
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

FDAD wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:14 pm I own a honda e for about a week now and he infotainment is absolute rubbish. They tried so hard to make it retro that they actually ruined the ability to make use of too 12" screens... I can order cheap and better 2 din android radio from al!express with android 10...

º Android auto - Doesn't work with too different phones, didn't try carplay.
º Can't upload a simple wallpaper that covers both screens.
º Can't mirror screen with wifi.
º I'm not going to mention the utter sh** that is the garmin nav system, come on it's 2020... I have to use my phone with google maps to drive yesterday because there was almost a complete village missing. I do use offline maps in my phone (HERE maps) it's free and just destroys garmin. :x

In all honesty I love the car (even the range is manageable) but for what I paid... it's a 2020 car with 2014 nav system on both screens. :cry:
I don't own the car yet but I am surprised by what you say.
Which phones are not working with Android Auto? New phones or old?

For the wallpaper there are some restrictions for it to work on both screens. Did you check the manual page 272? I saw a video with a personal wallpaper on both screens so it works.
There is a hack out there for other Honda models that lets you install 3rd party android apps and override the Parking lock so you can use HDMI while driving and some other things but the Honda E infotainment is different so it does not work yet. I asked the developer if he can do it for the E but he needs the car or the unit and it is impossible to get the unit. I don't think he is from Europe or Japan unfortunately.
bogga

Post by bogga »

FDAD wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:14 pm I own a honda e for about a week now and he infotainment is absolute rubbish. They tried so hard to make it retro that they actually ruined the ability to make use of too 12" screens... I can order cheap and better 2 din android radio from al!express with android 10...

I played music from a USB stick without any issues. Didn't try any video's, but I think the manual said it supports them.
Rei

Post by Rei »

I tried out Android Auto briefly when test driving. It worked well on a Pixel.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post