Road Departure Mitigation

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

renedekat wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:10 am
FDAD wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:07 pm CMBS and RDM should be off by default. And VSA should be completely off or have an option to do so partially if people want to. ;)

I've had ver very close calls because of RDM doing sharp turns in b roads that both cars barely pass each other. CMBS gave me almost 3 crashes as I was cruising slowly and it brake suddenly making the car behind me pissed (I would be to. A more distracted driver wouldn't expect me to break without warning)

In my thought it should be a driver configuration or at the press of the sport button they should be off, or is it a sport mode for old people?
If car behind you is getting annoyed because you braked, that car was too close in the first place.
And a distracted driver on a road with sharp turns, shouldn't have a driving license :)
@renedekat I'm of same opinion about this in good weather conditions, however on windy roads during dark wet nights it's very distracting bordering on dangerous when a car you're following at a safe distance is repeatedly flashing their very bright brake lights for no apparent reason.

There are also those dangerous/incompetent drivers which I'm sure we've all encountered that brake after bends and on straight roads when a car is coming in the opposite direction or for no actual reason, and this is in daylight with clear visibility. I can almost 100% guarantee that the reason they drive like that it is due to poor eyesight. These same drivers typically drive at 40mph irrespective of the prevailing speed limit (i.e. 30/40/50/60).
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

Larbor

Post by Larbor »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:42 am
FDAD wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:07 pm CMBS and RDM should be off by default. And VSA should be completely off or have an option to do so partially if people want to. ;)

I've had ver very close calls because of RDM doing sharp turns in b roads that both cars barely pass each other. CMBS gave me almost 3 crashes as I was cruising slowly and it brake suddenly making the car behind me pissed (I would be to. A more distracted driver wouldn't expect me to break without warning)

In my thought it should be a driver configuration or at the press of the sport button they should be off, or is it a sport mode for old people?
If car behind you is getting annoyed because you braked, that car was too close in the first place.
And a distracted driver on a road with sharp turns, shouldn't have a driving license :)
@renedekat I'm of same opinion about this in good weather conditions, however on windy roads during dark wet nights it's very distracting bordering on dangerous when a car you're following at a safe distance is repeatedly flashing their very bright brake lights for no apparent reason.

There are also those dangerous/incompetent drivers which I'm sure we've all encountered that brake after bends and on straight roads when a car is coming in the opposite direction or for no actual reason, and this is in daylight with clear visibility. I can almost 100% guarantee that the reason they drive like that it is due to poor eyesight. These same drivers typically drive at 40mph irrespective of the prevailing speed limit (i.e. 30/40/50/60).
I agree with you there, and I don't like systems that intervene with my driving while I am in full control. That can create seriously dangerous situations.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Having started this Topic, I would ask everyone, who contributes to help us build up our evidence, based on our different driving experiences. When more UK owners have spent more time with our cars, I would hope that we can make a strong case to Honda UK, perhaps via our Dealers, that there should be an Option to Switch RDM Off, as we continue to build up opinions on whether RDM is just annoying, or whether it is bordering on dangerous in certain circumstances.

It is also useful that we are getting contributions from mainland Europe.

But please keep your Replies factual, and on topic. And remember, your Replies can be Edited. So please feel free to reflect, amend or delete comments that are not helpful toward us achieving our goal.

All content can be easily captured digitally, and over time could to help us build our case to present to Honda.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

advance2020 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:31 pm Having started this Topic, I would ask everyone, who contributes to help us build up our evidence, based on our different driving experiences. When more UK owners have spent more time with our cars, I would hope that we can make a strong case to Honda UK, perhaps via our Dealers, that there should be an Option to Switch RDM Off, as we continue to build up opinions on whether RDM is just annoying, or whether it is bordering on dangerous in certain circumstances.

It is also useful that we are getting contributions from mainland Europe.

But please keep your Replies factual, and on topic. And remember, your Replies can be Edited. So please feel free to reflect, amend or delete comments that are not helpful toward us achieving our goal.

All content can be easily captured digitally, and over time could to help us build our case to present to Honda.
I already told my dealer that RDM is very nice but not be used as default, it diverted me into oncoming traffic multiples times, specially in turns, my girlfriend got scared in a couple close calls.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:42 am

The point isn't that as I get close to other cars breaking real slow not to do sharp brakes and CMBS just acts like i'm an idiot.
Great.. but RDM diverting me into oncoming traffic is a bit counter productive I think, specially in tight turns ;) I must keep my lane as it barely fits two cars.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

Just to add to the conversation, I’ve had RDM try and send me into the oncoming lane also. I’ll have to get used to turning off each day until it can be voluntarily permanently disabled.

I’ll bring it up with the dealer so they can send the feedback to Honda. I really hope this will be picked up and dealt with to allow us to disable the feature.

The same feature is available in the Korean cars (lane keep assist), but this is easily disabled and stays disabled if you want it to be.
The single raindrop never feels responsible for the flood
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Jeffers: many thanks for this contribution. Many of us have fed similar back to our Dealers, and mine reported the same issue has arisen with the Honda Jazz. But until we get the numbers up, and can speak as though we are threatening a “Class Action” I doubt that our individual voices will be heard. Hence the importance of All Owners contributing their views on this Forum as we clock up the miles. Meanwhile, we will continue to switch off RDM every time we Power Up.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
Jeffers

Post by Jeffers »

I can’t speak for Honda, but I know from experience with other manufacturers, that dealer feedback (if it gets back to the factory) is taken very seriously by the engineers in charge if there is a high enough percentage of complaints. At the moment with only a few dozen to maybe 3 figures sold in each country, the V/1000 (vehicles per 1000 sold with a fault) on the spreadsheet will be very high.

Like I said, I really hope it’s picked up, but it’ll only happen if it’s relayed to the dealers and they feedback to the factory. It may end up being a recall, or a service bulletin if it can’t be fixed OTA.
The single raindrop never feels responsible for the flood
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

Might I add you could report it to the authorities. If it’s a serious safety issue, they’ll make sure it gets fixed.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Jeffers wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:52 pm I can’t speak for Honda, but I know from experience with other manufacturers, that dealer feedback (if it gets back to the factory) is taken very seriously by the engineers in charge if there is a high enough percentage of complaints.
Hilarious.

Mazda pulled the wool over VOSA's eyes when we reported an issue with my wife's MX5 the handbrake letting go.

They gave an updated manual to VOSA, that was not issued with the car basically we were called liars over it. Specifying it had to be parked in gear. There were extra pages on the manual vosa had given to them with a published date after our complaint was logged. Don't trust VOSA to look after the owner, happy to be bought off by a manufacturer.

I will never ever buy a car off Mazda ever again.

Its a shame the missus lives her MX5 ND.
Ex e owner