Road Departure Mitigation

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Ok, so there is not that much wrong with an e. The advance does come fully loaded with lots of tech, which will no doubt prove useful over time. But there is one Safety Feature that stands out. And it loves to flash up warnings at critical moments.

At first I thought the icon was “a Monkey covering its eyes” but it turns out to be a steering wheel. And yes, the e does take over control, or tries to.

If the front cameras can't detect any white lines on the road, or you approach a bend, as other vehicles approach you, it might flash up a White or Amber warning and sound an alarm. Basically its a pain on British B roads and country lanes. So I switch it off. EVERY TIME.

However, the Japs have decided they are in control, and as soon as you Power Up again, it resets and comes back on. So here is my tip. My shortcut. Don't follow the manual. Go direct to Safety Config (next to All Apps) and when this screen appears you de-select RDM. Done.

2D55C3ED-C0E3-4D2E-B432-9DFACFDDAEE7.jpeg

4E2D89C0-68E9-4FC2-AD9B-A085F94CAE7A.jpeg

Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

I do exactly the same. Of all the cars I have tried, not 1 lane assist useful outside of well maintained motorways.

The Honda does, in contrast to some others, give up on you and turn off the system by itself if you insist driving different lines than the system is comfortable with :) Comes back on automatically later when situation has changed though.

I wonder what a piece of black tape in front of the camera would do.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

In case others read your response, Lane Assist is a different feature, and can easily be switched on or off from button on steering wheel. I'm still learning.

But if we all agree RDM is a pain, maybe we can persuade Honda to do a software update. So once it is switched off, it remains in that state.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Just a quick note here to bring this older post to everyones attention.
New Owners have posted similar under a new topic "Not holding the Steering Wheel"
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

advance2020 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:28 pm Just a quick note here to bring this older post to everyones attention.
New Owners have posted similar under a new topic "Not holding the Steering Wheel"
@advance2020 Road Departure Mitigation is a completely different issue to that which I've highlighted in the other post. I also get the RDM message a lot for exactly as you've stated, in addition to the 'Not holding the wheel message'. As you've quoted 'Road Departure Mitigation' can be switched off whereas the 'Not holding the wheel message' message I'm moaning about is one that cannot be switched off.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Londoniumperson We must agree to differ for now.

I stand by by my original advice, as it works for me, it will for others.

I think the confusion is that the car will flash up the Steering Wheel icon, and if you continue it also shows the Lane Deviation Icon.
But if you switch RDM off as I have explained, you will not get the Steering Wheel icon warnings flash up.
I also checked this with my Dealer, and they know its a problem from Jazz Owners feedback, and their demo vehicles.
londiniumperson

advance2020 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:59 pm Londoniumperson We must agree to differ for now.

I stand by by my original advice, as it works for me, it will for others.

I think the confusion is that the car will flash up the Steering Wheel icon, and if you continue it also shows the Lane Deviation Icon.
But if you switch RDM off as I have explained, you will not get the Steering Wheel icon warnings flash up.
I also checked this with my Dealer, and they know its a problem from Jazz Owners feedback, and their demo vehicles.
I'll try turning RDM off and see what happens.

Why would RDM be invoked if I'm in the middle of a clearly marked lane on a dual carriageway, I'm never near the edge of the lane and the message is clearly different to the lane departure message. The message that I regularly get is initially orange and if I don't make a concerted effort to move the steering wheel then it soon displays the message in red and then beeps and then goes away.
With lane departure, which I also get in different circumstances (when the car believes that I'm unintentionally leaving the lane) I feel the car taking control of the steering wheel, whereas nothing happens with the message that I get, simply because there no action required.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

I guess all we can do here is report what we do, and see if it helps others. And if so, they will add to our knowledge.

It would seem we are experiencing different scenarios, as we are driving on different road types.
I'm not often on dual carriageways (no Motorways yet) but I have not had a problem of Lane Deviation on Dual Carriageways.
My main issues are on country lanes, B-Roads and smaller.
Try what I suggest and report back.
Who knows what the car is doing. It has cameras, sensors and radar, plus lots of programming.
And of course I realise that as it's designed as a City car, for urban environs, so my use is totally different.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

One other thought to note.
If you are driving straight and keeping in the lane, and you are getting White, Amber and/or Red warnings - which is severe getting 3 levels - is this due to the type of road ahead - ie. are you going up and down hill ? - as the car is expecting to see the road further ahead, and it can't. I have experienced similar at higher speeds over Salisbury Plain, where road is undulating.

Make a note of the road where it happens, esp. if this is a regularly commute, and maybe share location on Google Maps.
I will try the same when going on an 'undulating road' - actually switch it on - and try it to see whether I can get Amber & Red!
londiniumperson

advance2020 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:16 pm I guess all we can do here is report what we do, and see if it helps others. And if so, they will add to our knowledge.

It would seem we are experiencing different scenarios, as we are driving on different road types.
I'm not often on dual carriageways (no Motorways yet) but I have not had a problem of Lane Deviation on Dual Carriageways.
My main issues are on country lanes, B-Roads and smaller.
Try what I suggest and report back.
Who knows what the car is doing. It has cameras, sensors and radar, plus lots of programming.
And of course I realise that as it's designed as a City car, for urban environs, so my use is totally different.
I'd say 80% of my driving has been and will continue to be dual or motorway use, with most of the rest on B roads, I rarely end up on single carriageway A roads.

I'm fairly confident that the issue that I'm experiencing is connected to ACC (LKAS is usually off) & I don't recall seeing any white messages relating to my issue, only amber, then red. As for going up or down hill I've not noticed if that's a contributing factor either way, but it's definitely occurred on relatively quiet roads where I've been able to keep a constant 70mph with good visibility and we'll defined central and edge road markings.
I've recently been taking annual leave (it's the first time in the last 6+ months that I've been able to because it's been so busy at work) so won't be commuting or making any planned trips in the car until next week.

As for lane departure warnings, that's a common occurrence on the B roads and I can understand why that's happening. I'm not saying that I like it, but every time that it occurs it is obvious why.

As for ACC, that also has additional quirks if used on 30/40 mph roads, especially with lots of traffic. I've found that it's really only useful at higher speeds on dual & motorways.