Road Departure Mitigation

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Sam Boote

Post by Sam Boote »

Sorry, the postcode was wrong. The correct address is Mr. Jean-Marc Streng, President, Honda UK, Cain Road, Bracknell RG12 1HL.

Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Next door to the HP HQ when I used to work there

Interesting to see if they approach us
Sam Boote

Post by Sam Boote »

You can file a defect report with the Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency at https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and- ... ety-defect.

The text of my recent report was:

Road Departure Mitigation System (RDMS). This is an automatic system which is supposed to detect when a vehicle is straying off the road and to apply a correction to the steering as well as visually and audibly warning the driver. However, the system is unable to detect and react to a wide variety of road conditions, including narrow and single-track roads, and it frequently pulls the car off the road or into the path of oncoming traffic. At present there is no means of permanently deactivating the RDMS - it can only be switched off at the start of each journey, entailing several button presses, the number of which varies from one journey to the next. If the driver forgets this procedure, the consequence can be lethal. So far, Honda have refused to accept responsibility, claiming that there is no evidence of a problem and refusing a recall.
bogga

Post by bogga »

Excellent work Sam
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

I have been following this article for a while, but I do not experience what you say about RDM. Of course the system warns me sometimes, but then I am not paying attention to the road (playing with one of the screens or so) and I am glad that I am being warned. Have now driven about 1000km and all safety systems are on as standard. I was wondering, are our road markings more visible to the system than those in the UK? 🤔
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
bogga

Post by bogga »

Lots of roads in the UK are in a shocking state.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

It was not that bad though. Did a route once through South West and South East and a tour of Scotland a few years later. What I particularly noticed, between the low walls, is that the roads are very narrow, especially when you have the steering wheel for you guys on the other side. Those drivers in the countryside with their Wellingtons and their Range Rovers just drive like crazy at a very high speed. Had to squeeze my butt often. :shock: Scotland, by the way, looks a lot like Norway in terms of roads and landscape, only in Norway the asphalt sometimes suddenly stops, and then you have to drive on gravel, and after that it is asphalt again. Very strange. But, car trips through Europe will no longer an option with the E, have to charge a bit too much then and I only have a 3-week holiday per year... :mrgreen:
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
ibiza131bikes

Post by ibiza131bikes »

Appreciate this is a really old thread. I've just purchased a used Honda E. Love it....although the RDMS warnings were really annoying. Not sure if this was mentioned in another thread, but I have largely removed most warnings now since changing the setting below. Seems the default was too eager to warn. I only really get the warnings now when not indication and changing lanes on Dual Carriageways / Motorways.
1 - Go into Vehicle Settings menu
2 - Press Safety Settings
3 - Scroll to Road Departure Mitigation
4 - Change from Normal to Delayed

There is even an early setting which I haven't tried, but this must be awful to use.

EDIT - Just seen this referenced earlier in thread.... doh
kotschy

Post by kotschy »

Our roads in Hungary are not very good and I get this RDM message all the times, even on highways, so I do switch it off every time before I start to drive.
To my experience scratches on the road are messing with the RDM too, or where road fixtures are different colour than the original pavement.
I switch on the Lane Assist only on proper roads and it works well but you have to hold the steering wheel all the time.
2020 Advance Charge Yellow