Annoying rattle in the overhead switch cluster

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

I had the same rattle of the camera cover in my Mazda 3 when I bought it in 2015, and again with the Honda E. it’s now gone after I had the windscreen replaced due to a massive crack I woke up to one day.

PatrickR

Post by PatrickR »

Mine is the same, and like your cars, ours was a Batch 1 dating back to last year. My parents, who have a Batch 2 car, don’t have the rattle. I’m guessing that if we opened the panels, we’d find there is foam in one and not the other.

I find that if I lift the bottom edge of the mirror panel, ie the lowest point before you reach the windscreen, it stops.

Usually my rattle comes at the start of a drive. Once the car is out in the countryside, it stops. I wonder if it’s plugs and wires setting or warmth in the trim through the glass?

Our dealer had a go but without success.

One big blemish on an otherwise great car.
Fakeplasticman

Post by Fakeplasticman »

PatrickR wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:28 pm
I find that if I lift the bottom edge of the mirror panel, ie the lowest point before you reach the windscreen, it stops.

Usually my rattle comes at the start of a drive. Once the car is out in the countryside, it stops. I wonder if it’s plugs and wires setting or warmth in the trim through the glass?
Similar experience here. Can you describe the area you are moving? Is it the plastic bit that extends towards the bonnet, where the cameras are under the windscreen?

Mine sounds like it's coming from there and it started out intermittently but now it's there most of the time, less so when it's warm. I have figured out that the trim that's housing the cameras slides down towards the bonnet and kind of unhooks at the front, but don't know how to detach the rear and obviously dont want to break it so haven't forced it.

Can't help but feel like the answer to this rattle is getting that cover off. It's almost certainly plastic on glass rattling I'm hearing.
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

I had the same issue and I think coming from exactly the same place. Very annoying buzz/rattle noise. I took it back to the dealer - they said they knew exactly what the problem was and they fixed it......well I'm hesitant about saying "fixed" in case I find the same thing starts happening again today but at least I can say that 5 weeks after going back to the garage, it still seems OK. I think the repair did involve taking that cover off and using foam.
Fakeplasticman

Post by Fakeplasticman »

Interesting, its the only thing that bugs me about the car. Might speak to the dealer.
Yellow e

Post by Yellow e »

My little yellow e had this issue from the day of delivery in Sept ‘20. I made the dealership aware and temporarily fixed it with some blu-tak spanning the panel joints. 1st service last week but didn’t have the time to cure it then. Back with them for 5hrs yesterday - unit around the rear view ‘mirror’ removed and something called trim pads on the inside of the panels on the touch points with others, the bodywork and the windscreen - none visible on the outside, seems to be fixed.
Advance, Charge Yellow, little wheels, 3pin home charger.
Fakeplasticman

Post by Fakeplasticman »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:41 pm
Fakeplasticman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:52 pm Try some autoglym rubber care (or whatever it's called) along the rubber seals of the door. Daft I know but BMWs were infamous at one point for rattling doors and this fixed it for me. There is a product called Gummi plfege (not a typo) that many people swear by for this purpose. Apparently it's what BMW use to keep the door seals supple. I just use the autoglym stuff though cos they sell that in the local shops.

In case you think I'm mad - https://www.google.com/search?q=door+ra ... mmi+plfege
I can't see how this will stop a noise that sounds like an internal door mechanism rattling but I'm happy to be proven wrong, so I'll see about purchasing some Gummi plfege to add to my already extensive collection of lotions and potions for car care.

I now have the dreaded door rattle from the passenger door now. I haven't tried the rubber are yet but wondered if you had. It doesn't sound like the type of rattle that I had on the BMW so I'm not hopeful!!
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

I thought I had passenger door rattle, dealership said it was likely the panel Infront of rear view mirror, so simply pressed that and it went, bonkers I know but what do you have to lose!
Ex e owner
Fakeplasticman

Post by Fakeplasticman »

milligoon wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:23 pm I thought I had passenger door rattle, dealership said it was likely the panel Infront of rear view mirror, so simply pressed that and it went, bonkers I know but what do you have to lose!
I'm a bloody idiot, finally convinced the mrs to listen for the rattle, of course when she was in the car there was hardly a sound, then going round a corner it started, - she tells me its not coming from the door but somewhere near the middle. Turns out my daughter's sunglasses had fell in between the seat and the centre console.

I would have swore it was coming from the door, this car is an acoustic enigma.

back to just the single, mysterious rattle that seems to come from the rear view mirror / camera cluster. less prevalent on warm days....
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Fakeplasticman wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:29 pm
milligoon wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:23 pm I thought I had passenger door rattle, dealership said it was likely the panel Infront of rear view mirror, so simply pressed that and it went, bonkers I know but what do you have to lose!
I'm a bloody idiot, finally convinced the mrs to listen for the rattle, of course when she was in the car there was hardly a sound, then going round a corner it started, - she tells me its not coming from the door but somewhere near the middle. Turns out my daughter's sunglasses had fell in between the seat and the centre console.

I would have swore it was coming from the door, this car is an acoustic enigma.

back to just the single, mysterious rattle that seems to come from the rear view mirror / camera cluster. less prevalent on warm days....
Excellent :lol:
Ex e owner

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post