Automatic door unlocking is actually annoying

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
SwissChris

Post by SwissChris »

rickwookie wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:02 pm The car also doesn't auto lock when I walk away from the vehicle either (like ever, I could leave town and the car would remain unlocked!), so it seems the car can communicate with the fobs (otherwise I wouldn't be able to open and drive the car), but can't determine the fobs distance from the vehicle.

The car will never automatically lock after you have opened/closed the door. It only locks automatically after you unlock it, but you do not open the door.

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

SwissChris wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:50 pm
rickwookie wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:02 pm The car also doesn't auto lock when I walk away from the vehicle either (like ever, I could leave town and the car would remain unlocked!), so it seems the car can communicate with the fobs (otherwise I wouldn't be able to open and drive the car), but can't determine the fobs distance from the vehicle.

The car will never automatically lock after you have opened/closed the door. It only locks automatically after you unlock it, but you do not open the door.
I thought all Hondas these days had "walk away auto lock". Is this not a thing on the e?
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

rickwookie wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:47 pm
milligoon wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:41 pm Mines a bit random, sometimes it auto presents the handle other times it doesn't.

This is with the same key. I wonder if it's something to do with the way you lock it, with the key or the handle?
Hmm, I doubt it, I've certainly locked it a couple of times using the handle just to see how that works (my conclusion was that it's easier to just use the fob button imho) and it's never once popped out the handles on approach.

Maybe yours has a similar issue, but it's only intermittent.
I decided to read the manual :lol: Page 176

If you lock the car, and stay within range for over two minutes, auto popout is disabled, so probably me sticking the charge cable in after opening my garage door does it! Same when removing the cable - the garage door is motorised (slower than a manual door) I don't have my wall charger yet.
Ex e owner
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

milligoon wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:55 am I decided to read the manual :lol: Page 176

If you lock the car, and stay within range for over two minutes, auto popout is disabled, so probably me sticking the charge cable in after opening my garage door does it! Same when removing the cable - the garage door is motorised (slower than a manual door) I don't have my wall charger yet.
I did read that also (I’ve read that whole section inside out trying to figure this one out) and I actually wondered if in my case it meant that it was disabled permanently, since there’s no mention of when the feature becomes re-enabled. 🤷‍♂️
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

Sometimes we notice the car finds the fobs a little too easily, depending on where on the drive the car is parked. I did try disabling the auto pop-out feature which works, but the car is still beaconing for the fobs and on approach lights up the driver's screen. This may be desirable for some.

Note: with auto-pop out disabled, the indicators do not flash and the DRLs stay off.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

After a visit to the dealer this morning, it's now working!

Apparently, there was a setting only available using the diagnostics kit that was set to off. I suppose the question then is, why don't all the cars leave the factory with identical default settings, and what else might be set incorrectly!
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=515

Note for New Owners:
there are several linked threads regarding Door Handles, Locking & Auto Pop Out.

The title of this Thread could be misleading.
Your car DOES NOT UNLOCK when the Handles pop open
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

rickwookie wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:14 pm After a visit to the dealer this morning, it's now working!

Apparently, there was a setting only available using the diagnostics kit that was set to off. I suppose the question then is, why don't all the cars leave the factory with identical default settings, and what else might be set incorrectly!
I'm a bit confused over this because as far as I was aware, the Honda e doesn't have auto unlock or auto lock.

Please can you tell me how it used to work for you & how it works now?
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

londiniumperson wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:56 pm I'm a bit confused over this because as far as I was aware, the Honda e doesn't have auto unlock or auto lock.

No it doesn’t have auto lock or unlock. I was not aware of this when I originally posted because the auto pop-out handles weren’t working on ours (prior to the dealer changing the setting) so I’d thought that when the handles auto popped out, the car was unlocked.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

rickwookie wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:21 am
londiniumperson wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:56 pm I'm a bit confused over this because as far as I was aware, the Honda e doesn't have auto unlock or auto lock.

No it doesn’t have auto lock or unlock. I was not aware of this when I originally posted because the auto pop-out handles weren’t working on ours (prior to the dealer changing the setting) so I’d thought that when the handles auto popped out, the car was unlocked.
Thanks, auto lock would be a nice to have, even if it meant a dealer visit. However you've confirmed that this is not possible.

This is one of a number of reasons why I don't believe that there was ever a software update made to all UK Honda e's prior to handover to their first owners.
If Honda can't even deliver all cars with the same initial setup, what chance is there they can be entrusted to update all cars after they were landed in the UK?
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post