Automatic door unlocking is actually annoying

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Man-e

Post by Man-e »

rickwookie wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:31 pm How do you actually get the handles to pop out when you approach the car? Ours only seem to pop out when we press the unlock button on the fob.
Just walking upto the locked car will pop the door handles out ready for you to touch the sensor under the handles to unlock the car.

It can be turned off in the vehicle settings > door and window set-up (default is ON).

page 342 of the online owners manual describes the setting, page 175 for its operation.

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/man ... da%20e.pdf

keithr

Post by keithr »

darrenj1 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:59 pm So don't carry your car fob around with you when going for a walk! Simples! :lol:

Simples to not have a house key?
Err, so don't attach the car fob to your house key. If you're not going out in your car then leave the car fob at home. It's not rocket science! :roll:
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Man-e wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:21 am
rickwookie wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:31 pm How do you actually get the handles to pop out when you approach the car? Ours only seem to pop out when we press the unlock button on the fob.
Just walking upto the locked car will pop the door handles out ready for you to touch the sensor under the handles to unlock the car.

It can be turned off in the vehicle settings > door and window set-up (default is ON).

page 342 of the online owners manual describes the setting, page 175 for its operation.

Ok so this isn’t working for me. Not sure I understand the English used for the setting when it refers to “the custom settings on key fob “, but I’ve tried that setting both on and off.
Man-e

Post by Man-e »

rickwookie wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:36 am

Ok so this isn’t working for me. Not sure I understand the English used for the setting when it refers to “the custom settings on key fob “, but I’ve tried that setting both on and off.
Have you tried with your spare remote fob?

Does normal smart entry work for you? e.g. not unlocking with the fob buttons but using the touch sensors under the door handle or tailgate button?
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Man-e wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:41 am
rickwookie wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:36 am

Have you tried with your spare remote fob?

Does normal smart entry work for you? e.g. not unlocking with the fob buttons but using the touch sensors under the door handle or tailgate button?
I can walk up to the locked car with the fob in my pocket and open the tailgate (at which point the door handles then pop out) or I can manually push on the handles to get them out and also sort of pull on them twice (first time unlocks, second pull opens) to open the door.

Haven’t tried the other fob yet. Will give that a go.
Sousaphone

Post by Sousaphone »

I tried disabling this twice now, but the setting keeps reverting to default after locking the car, so that's fun.
keithr

Post by keithr »

rickwookie wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:48 pm sort of pull on them twice (first time unlocks, second pull opens) to open the door.
I saw a reviewer in a YouTube video claiming that you have to pull the door handle once to unlock and again to open the door. He obviously hadn't read the manual! To unlock the car you simply apply light pressure to the underside of the door handle (similar to applying light pressure on top of the handle to lock the car). So you can unlock and open the car with just a single pull on the handle.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

keithr wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:24 pm
rickwookie wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:48 pm sort of pull on them twice (first time unlocks, second pull opens) to open the door.
I saw a reviewer in a YouTube video claiming that you have to pull the door handle once to unlock and again to open the door. He obviously hadn't read the manual! To unlock the car you simply apply light pressure to the underside of the door handle (similar to applying light pressure on top of the handle to lock the car). So you can unlock and open the car with just a single pull on the handle.
It's not quite "a single pull on the handle" though is it? I have to push the right side in to be able to grab the handle, then pull it out a little to find the little touch surface inside underneath, then wait for the car to detect this touch and unlock the door (this isn't exactly instant!), then pull out the handle fully to open the door. Alternatively, once I have hold of the handle I can just quickly pull on it twice (this is much faster in practice than the 'official' method), or I can do what I actually now do more often and just reach into my pocket and blip the unlock button as I approach the car - old skool stylie.

Anyway, I assume it's just my car where the auto pop-out handles aren't working? It's going back to the dealer to have a look on Thursday. The car also doesn't auto lock when I walk away from the vehicle either (like ever, I could leave town and the car would remain unlocked!), so it seems the car can communicate with the fobs (otherwise I wouldn't be able to open and drive the car), but can't determine the fobs distance from the vehicle.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Mines a bit random, sometimes it auto presents the handle other times it doesn't.

This is with the same key. I wonder if it's something to do with the way you lock it, with the key or the handle?
Ex e owner
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

milligoon wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:41 pm Mines a bit random, sometimes it auto presents the handle other times it doesn't.

This is with the same key. I wonder if it's something to do with the way you lock it, with the key or the handle?
Hmm, I doubt it, I've certainly locked it a couple of times using the handle just to see how that works (my conclusion was that it's easier to just use the fob button imho) and it's never once popped out the handles on approach.

Maybe yours has a similar issue, but it's only intermittent.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post