CarPlay disconnecting every few minutes

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

I've been trying to use CarPlay, mainly for Waze, but also to access music, but the phone becomes disconnected every few minutes, then after about a minute will reconnect.

It's hard to know if it's the car or the iPhone that's causing this, so I wonder is anyone else seeing this, or does anyone on here have much experience using CarPlay on other vehicles and could say if it's generally reliable.

MattHero

Post by MattHero »

Is this wireless or wired?
2020 Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

MattHero wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:36 pm Is this wireless or wired?
Good question - I forgot to mention it's connected wirelessly. Title modified accordingly.
NewCode

Post by NewCode »

I’ve used wired carplay every day for two years in my old Suzuki but only been using wireless in the e for four weeks now.

Have you updated your phone to iOS 14? Brand new major versions of iOS are frequently quite buggy so might not be the cars fault.
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

I'm getting random disconnects using wired Android Auto right now, but I suspect it's the dodgy old cable I'm using rather than the car. I'll have to source a shiny, new cable and retest.
2020 Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

No issues here with wireless CarPlay.
Make sure to take your phone out of your pocket or bag.

Also reboot your phone to get rid of Gremlins and if the problem persists, try it with another phone.

Bluetooth is a bit of a crap technology at best.
NewCode

Post by NewCode »

renedekat wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:14 pm
As I understand it, Carplay only uses Bluetooth for discovery, then it connects via Wi-fi to the car. Bluetooth can’t transfer enough data to broadcast a video stream from the phone which is how Carplay works.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

NewCode wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:25 pm
renedekat wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:14 pm
As I understand it, Carplay only uses Bluetooth for discovery, then it connects via Wi-fi to the car. Bluetooth can’t transfer enough data to broadcast a video stream from the phone which is how Carplay works.
Ah ok, so actually it much more likely to be the phone, and also a newer phone should also yield better CarPlay performance, because right now it’s very laggy.
NewCode

Post by NewCode »

rickwookie wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:34 pm Ah ok, so actually it much more likely to be the phone, and also a newer phone should also yield better CarPlay performance, because right now it’s very laggy.
I hadn’t considered that - I am using an iPhone 11 Pro so (for the next two weeks or so at least) there is no newer iPhone.

Are you using a significantly older model?
kbjpick

Post by kbjpick »

rickwookie Does your MyHonda+ app work FULLY - i.e. lights status, doors windows lock/unlock function?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post