Unlocking without keys nearby?

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
bogga

Post by bogga »

luffyco wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:41 am This is not the problem, the problem is why the car activate the light alone ?
Maybe it does it when it feels lonely.

BarryG

Post by BarryG »

I have had the same issue. The problem is the the car is parked within the range of the key fob.
I solved the issue by keeping my keys in a Faraday box so the signal is blocked. It will also stop would thieves scanning your key to take the car.
Got the box on eBay.
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

I tried this experiment. Locked the car in the garage and left the key on a stool 6 inches away from the door and went away for 15 minutes. Came back and WITHOUT TOUCHING THE KEY pushed the handle out and the door unlocked.

Either the key does not stop transmitting,
or opening the handle makes the car sends a signal to the key to activate.

Honda really should give us more information on how it works, and even better would be a switch on the key to turn transmission off the negating the hassle of faraday containers.
keithr

Post by keithr »

5thcivic wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:54 pm Honda really should give us more information on how it works, and even better would be a switch on the key to turn transmission off the negating the hassle of faraday containers.
Yes, that would be nice. I bought a Honda Forza 350 scooter back in May, which has keyless ignition, and the fob on that has a button to turn the fob off (press once to show a green or red light for fob on or off indication, press and hold to turn the fob on or off - wait for colour to change). So if Honda can do it for a scooter then I'm sure they could easily do it for their cars too.
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

RAL7004 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:57 pm The key is deactivated if it is not moved.
In a German forum** @drkite (member here, too) reports that the key obviously stops transmitting if it is not moved. So the stored key obviously does not need a Faraday cage...
He checked the whole thing with a small experiment.

**https://www.goingelectric.de/forum/view ... a&start=10

I suggest you try this experiment yourself, because I did, and it did not work. So the info that you don't need a faraday box is false and may lead to thefts if people are not careful.
schodoodles

Post by schodoodles »

Prior to the pandemic I had a colleague park at a 'Park & Ride' location near our office and had their fancy BMW stolen using a relay attack as they walked away and were still close enough for them to get in the car nevermind just on the driveway as you usually see in terms of relay theft. They only discovered the theft as they returned to their car ~8hrs later and only really discovered how it was stolen via the security footage but obviously gave them plenty of time to shift the car and either strip it or ship it out.
Personally I don't think the added security risk and the cost to mitigate it is worth the time savings from actually pressing the button on the remote. Keyless entry needs to die or at least get a lot better; keyless entry relay thefts have been known for years so its poor that this hasn't been improved.
There are solutions such as 'Keyless Protector' but at £108/129 euros per key these are ridiculous costs compared to buying a faraday pouch.
Parker87

Post by Parker87 »

Hear, hear. I put my key into a Faraday pouch as soon as I leave my car. It's a bit bulky in the pocket but that's life!
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

I'd be interested in the Keyless Protector, even at the full price, but their website tells me nothing beyond that it supposedly works and removes at least 50% of the convenience.
schodoodles

Post by schodoodles »

ZoeDave wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:42 pm I'd be interested in the Keyless Protector, even at the full price, but their website tells me nothing beyond that it supposedly works and removes at least 50% of the convenience.
I found it from a YT vid by Schmee150 and they do a demo on there.
https://youtu.be/U9IhrMExnzM
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

Why no link working to any UK dealers? And why is it Netherlands are doing something in law about the situation of cars made so ridiculously easy to steal, yet here it seems not to be even on the horizon for our government?

I would be seriously interested in buying this, but the 3 minute switch off time could be improved, as walking away from the car in the supermarket carpark would still enable someone with a receiver in their should bag to follow you within a meter or two while you are walking with the key active and send a signal to their accomplice?
We had a post on our local WhatsApp group from a lady who said her car was stolen at Sainsbury by this very method.