Unlocking without keys nearby?

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
JoePro

Post by JoePro »

Hey everyone,

We've noticed that our new Honda E appears to be unlocking (or at least presenting the handles) at various times throughout the evening without the keys nearby.

Since we've noticed the headlights through our front window, we've consciously made sure to check where the keys are whenever we notice it happen. On all occasions the keys have been at least 10 metres from the vehicle inside the house and stationary, in a bag or on the table etc. We're definitely not moving around the house with the keys or approaching the car.

I've not yet checked if the doors are actually able to be opened at this point since of course the handles presenting and the vehicle unlocking are two different things, but it's still not ideal behaviour!

Has anybody else noticed anything like this?

Here's a quick video of some of the times we've noticed:

Left4Cookies

Post by Left4Cookies »

That's definitely unfortunate. I haven't noticed it on mine but now I'm getting paranoid. I'll keep an eye out..
keithr

Post by keithr »

The door handles don't pop out on my car until I'm fairly close with the key fob. I'd probably have to walk up to the end of your lawn before the car would respond.

The Owner's Manual says the keyless remote has to be within 32 inches of the door handle before you can unlock the doors, and that the keyless remote has to be within 2 metres of the door handle before it will pop out. So it seems something is not quite right with your car. Or is somebody using the MyHonda+ app to unlock/lock your car?! :?
bogga

Post by bogga »

JoePro wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:52 pm
Yes, mine does that too, and my keys were in faraday bags. The only reason I noticed was because my front camera recorded it.
Last edited by bogga on Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bogga

Post by bogga »

bogga wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:37 pm
JoePro wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:52 pm

Yes, mine does that too, and my keys were in faraday bags. The only reason I noticed was because my front camera recorded it.
keithr

Post by keithr »

bogga wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:37 pm Yes, mine does that too, and my keys were in faraday bags. The only reason I noticed was because my front camera recorded it.
The Nissan LEAF has 3 lights on top of the dashboard that are mainly used to show approximate state of charge while the car is being charged, but it will also turn those lights on when the car is parked , turned off, and it starts to charge the 12V battery. I wonder if the headlight show is Honda's way of indicating that it's started charging the 12V battery? (I can't tell from that video if the door handles pop out or not.)
bogga

Post by bogga »

JoePro

Post by JoePro »

bogga wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:46 pm Here's video of the mysteriousness

https://video.nest.com/clip/5f4125376d4 ... 034437.mp4
Interesting... Not sure whether it's good or bad that others are seeing the same thing! If I catch it in time I'll see if the doors will also open.
JoePro

Post by JoePro »

keithr wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:55 pm
bogga wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:37 pm Yes, mine does that too, and my keys were in faraday bags. The only reason I noticed was because my front camera recorded it.
The Nissan LEAF has 3 lights on top of the dashboard that are mainly used to show approximate state of charge while the car is being charged, but it will also turn those lights on when the car is parked , turned off, and it starts to charge the 12V battery. I wonder if the headlight show is Honda's way of indicating that it's started charging the 12V battery? (I can't tell from that video if the door handles pop out or not.)
Listening closely to the video from my camera it sounds like the handles are also presenting too. It's the exact same behaviour as though the keys are approaching nearby...
JoePro

Post by JoePro »

Also I would assume that if it's happening on the driveway at home (with keys nowhere nearby or in faraday pouches), then it's probably happening everywhere else that it's parked. Could attract attention in a car park or parked on a road etc. and the handles presenting is like a big invite for an opportunist. :shock: