WiFi Reception pretty bad

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Ovuvuevuevue___Osas

Post by Ovuvuevuevue___Osas »

Hello fellow E owners.
I have a question.

Do you experience low or no WiFi reception from your home network?

I have about 30 meters from my Wifi router to my parkinglots, and have never had an issue with connectivity outside with other devices.
But my Honda E have reception issues.

I did purchase an outside WiFi AccessPoint (TP-Link EAP225 AC1200) and did some reception and range tests with it outside.
Oddly my phone got almost full reception with the AP mounted on the outside of my house wall (10m away from the car), but the car got just 1 bar.
(while me sitting inside the car)

I moved the AP closer, about 1 to 2 meters away from the car bonnet/hood/front and experienced my phone getting full reception (inside the car), but the car only 2 bars of reception.

Anyone else getting this?

I checked the signal levels reported by the AP, and noticed the car having about 10dB lower signal level than my phone, while sitting inside the car with my phone.

I'm hoping it's a software bug.

Honda E Advance, stock everything.

Cheers

bogga

Post by bogga »

The heated windscreen acts a blocker, so maybe reverse up to the house ;-)
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Most likely because it's been built that way as Honda don't want a WiFi hotspot to be available outside of the car, most likely for security reasons.

My opinion is that they have intentional located the WifI antenna(s) so that minimal signal propagates outside of the car on purpose.
If you want to test this, try opening the windows, doors & boot & seeing that your home WiFi signal improve a little. I did this myself the first day I took my car home, I also placed a wired Unifi access point (AP) onto the driveway within 2m of the car and moved the car to face in different directions in relation to the AP to try & determine the best location, but soon came to the conclusion it was pointless, I just set my phone as a hotspot and use that because I don't need WiFi in the car unless I'm in there myself :D).

I'm not a RF engineer, however I have over 30 years (jeez. I'm old :lol:) networking experience & during some of that time designed & configured WiFi networks on cruise ships of up to 250 AP's per ship, so I am fully aware of the issues of steel structures & WiFi propagation issues.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

londiniumperson wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:07 pm Most likely because it's been built that way as Honda don't want a WiFi hotspot to be available outside of the car, most likely for security reasons.

My opinion is that they have intentional located the WifI antenna(s) so that minimal signal propagates outside of the car on purpose.
If you want to test this, try opening the windows, doors & boot & seeing that your home WiFi signal improve a little. I did this myself the first day I took my car home, I also placed a wired Unifi access point (AP) onto the driveway within 2m of the car and moved the car to face in different directions in relation to the AP to try & determine the best location, but soon came to the conclusion it was pointless, I just set my phone as a hotspot and use that because I don't need WiFi in the car unless I'm in there myself :D).

I'm not a RF engineer, however I have over 30 years (jeez. I'm old :lol:) networking experience & during some of that time designed & configured WiFi networks on cruise ships of up to 250 AP's per ship, so I am fully aware of the issues of steel structures & WiFi propagation issues.
Did you conclude where the car’s WiFi antenna is likely to be located, and was it always connecting on 2.4 GHz?
Ovuvuevuevue___Osas

Post by Ovuvuevuevue___Osas »

rickwookie wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:03 am
londiniumperson wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:07 pm Most likely because it's been built that way as Honda don't want a WiFi hotspot to be available outside of the car, most likely for security reasons.

Did you conclude where the car’s WiFi antenna is likely to be located, and was it always connecting on 2.4 GHz?
In my case, the car does not even detect any 5gHz radio when such an AP is 1-2 meters away and broadcasting.
The AP I mentioned in the original post (TP-Link something...something...) has a dual band radio, both 5gHz and 2.4gHz.
The 2.4gHz WiFi gets detected. But with a low signal strength (1-3bars).

Internet traffic goes smoothly though despite the low signal strength (so far only tested internet radio).

I wanted the car on my home network for quicker software downloads and updates.
But so far the honda app center only has the aquarium and the aha radio that came pre-installed :lol: and the car is up to date, so I must admit that this whole outside AP WiFi endeavor was a waste of my time and money :P
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Damn! I’d had the same issue. And had order a 2.4Ghz Wi-fi extension.
Sounds as if it will be a waste. But only £8.5
Hopefully for future updates? 👍
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I forgot to mention, the car only supports the 2.4GHz band.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

londiniumperson wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:01 pm I forgot to mention, the car only supports the 2.4GHz band.
Wow, no expense spent there then on the WiFi module.