No low (dipped) beam indication

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Effectively there is no indication on the driver’s display that dipped headlights are on, only a green symbol showing auto-high(full)-beam (the wrong colour IMO). Once auto has been disabled, which could be something a simple as you flashing the full beam just once, then you can’t know from the drivers display if the dipped-headlights are actually on, of just the side-lights (DRLs), which do have their own symbol.

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I had no issue determining if the auto dipped or auto main beam was on a few nights ago, check the top right hand side of the driver display.
The symbols are the same as any car, with the symbol lit blue when on main beam.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

My point is, there is no dipped beam symbol, when auto is off. As it happens, I don't believe these symbols are the same as any other car. The blue symbol for full beam, that appears to the left of the side-light symbol , is correct, but the Auto-Full symbol is green, which would usually be reserved for dipped beam indication, except the dipped beam symbol has lines coming from the lamp at a downward angle, not straight as with the full-beam. There is no such dipped beam symbol, so if you disable the auto-high beam function (by briefly pulling the stalk), there is then no difference in the drivers display between side lights only on, and dipped beam on.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

I have never had a dipped beam symbol in any of my cars, I have had side light or pilot light symbol but never a specific dipped beam symbol.
Ex e owner
londiniumperson

milligoon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:38 pm I have never had a dipped beam symbol in any of my cars, I have had side light or pilot light symbol but never a specific dipped beam symbol.
You've confirmed my comment that the Honda light symbols are the same as any other car, i.e. only a blue main beam indicator.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:20 pm
milligoon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:38 pm I have never had a dipped beam symbol in any of my cars, I have had side light or pilot light symbol but never a specific dipped beam symbol.
You've confirmed my comment that the Honda light symbols are the same as any other car, i.e. only a blue main beam indicator.
Erm, ok.

E10BAF17-E744-4426-845C-6EF5CEEF9FF7.jpeg

milligoon

Post by milligoon »

I have never had one on any of my cars, what make was that?
Ex e owner
londiniumperson

I'd also like to know the model & year, from that image of looks to be pre 2000, probably around the '90s or even earlier.

On my 1990 VW T25 Syncro there was no dipped beam indicator, which was annoying because at night on a lit road the dash was lit the same whether on side lights or dipped lights, the only way to tell was by either getting out and looking or by feeling the position of the switch. The dipped lights were very poor anyway so even on a dark road it was difficult to tell the difference.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

I just did a google image search for "instrument cluster" and that was one of the first. However, I believe that the Ford focus had this a some point (a pretty common car!). Just had another quick search and found this: https://www.schlueterhyundai.com/about- ... t-lighting - look above where is says "High Beam Assist" - it's definitely a thing!
Sousaphone

Post by Sousaphone »

Every single Volvo I’ve driven (model years 1988 through 2012) has had separate indications for dipped and high beam. That covers 340 to latest generation C70 if anyone was wondering.