Ultra-widescreen HDMI

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

I’m sure this is probably obvious to most, but I only realised a couple of days ago that if you tap anywhere on the HDMI image area you can actually get HDMI display settings.

This allows not only control of stuff like brightness, contrast, etc. but also scaling mode.

If you choose Full (I think) or Stretch, after a few seconds the control button at the side will fade out, allowing the HDMI input to display using the entire 8:3 ratio screen. This even applies when you’re showing on the driver’s side, which as far as I cam tell, the only time you can have something on that display without the buttons showing.

It looks cool, but now I need to work out some suitable settings in Kodi to get films to play at the full height of the car’s display, but without any distortion - e.g. Harmy’s Star Wars de-specalzed using 88% on the screen width! 😍

EDIT:

To get correct 2.35:1 ratio display at full height I used these custom scaling settings...

IMG_0957.JPG

Which yields
[media]https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=9B0 ... waitpgqu1w[/media]

Or, to use the entire display, with a small amount of horizontal stretch which imho actually looks brilliant (and I'm normally a purist when it comes to maintaining correct aspect ratio):

IMG_0956.JPG

Which yields:
[media]https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=9B0 ... vTWYpdedF4[/media]

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Further to this, I just discovered that 64:27 is a (semi-)standard HDMI aspect ratio, and since that's a much closer match to the Honda e's screen than 16:9 I just tried to send a 1680 x 720 (which is also a thing apparently) pixel dimension HDMI signal to the car and it seems to display it. Not sure if the car is just scaling it back down to 1280 x 720 and then stretching it back out across the screen again, but it really looks like a higher res picture to my old eyes anyway.

Kodi certainly looks much crisper and less distorted on it.
Steinninn

Post by Steinninn »

I'm bumping this topic up. It looks very cool. I don't have anything to plug into the HDMI yet, but planning to buy a chromecast later.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post