Parking ritual

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Hi Guys. Another question. I never used the handbrake on my manual cars. Never. Something about sticking brakes when it freezes (although we don't have winters anymore) or when you not used your car for a long time. Always put the car in first gear. We don't have any mountains and/or steep hills here. How do you park your Honda e? Only in "P" or in "P" ánd ((P))? I am very curious about your standard procedure or opinion.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only

Larbor

Post by Larbor »

P and handbrake
Mr_Helge

Post by Mr_Helge »

P and handbrake
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I'm not sure why you're asking because the only way to lock the car is with it in Park and the handbrake on.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

londiniumperson wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:48 pm I'm not sure why you're asking because the only way to lock the car is with it in Park and the handbrake on.
Strange, I can lock the car (with key), with only the car in Park without the handbrake on.
1st registered Oct 2020
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

iHansz wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:08 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:48 pm I'm not sure why you're asking because the only way to lock the car is with it in Park and the handbrake on.
Strange, I can lock the car (with key), with only the car in Park without the handbrake on.
You've just made me wonder if I can lock without the handbrake on. It auto engages so I'll have a test to see if I can turn it off before locking.
If you can, so then it must be possible.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
SRe

Post by SRe »

Mine only auto engages when I drive in "one pedal drive" mode.
If i turn off this mode before I park/stop my car, it's no problem to leave the car in "P", with no handbrake on and lock the doors.
tim.uk

Post by tim.uk »

On a slightly pedantic note, the e doesn't have a handbrake, it has a parking brake. I'd suggest the clue is in the title.
Page 400 of the manual lists several conditions under which the parking brake will be activated automatically, including setting the power mode to off while the vehicle is stopped.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

I’ve never considered with any car I’ve owned that the parking brake mechanism seizing has been a big enough issue for me to ever want to not use the parking break. :shock:

The again, I don’t live in the flatlands.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

That is precisely the confusion. With the buttons on the center console you can switch the car to park [P] position. What I naturally use when I park the car, otherwise it is not possible to lock the car as some have already indicated. In addition, you have an electronic parking brake that I never use. Honda itself indicates not to use it in freezing weather. You can also set the parking brake so that it always activates automatically when you park the car in the "vehicle off" position (mine does not.). Conclusion, I just park it in the [P] position and don't use the parking brake. :mrgreen:
1st registered Oct 2020