Auto Pop-Out Door Handles

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Elsewhere I asked your views on Smart Entry & Locking, as I’m disappointed with the inconsistent response of the Pop-Out Handles.

So I have tried changing the Vehicle Setting, so that they don't Pop-Out. Others, like me, have reported they can be annoying at times, so maybe it's time for a change.

If you set Auto Pop-Out OFF this is what I found:-

1. Approach the car, and Unlock using Remote Key Fob and the Handles pop out, making it easy to open the Drivers Door. But you can alternatively Open the Rear Door, without having to first “unlock” the Drivers door. Either process is positive and consistent.

2. For Smart Unlocking - Approach the car with your key in a pocket, or bag and push out the Drivers Door Handle with one hand, and grab the inside of the handle with the other. The car Unlocks immediately, and you can continue to open the door.

3. Use a similar technique to 2. for Smart Locking. It seems more positive & consistent.

Early days, but as the car appears to respond more immediately and positively, I personally think the benefits outweigh any negatives of a two handed action. And of course you avoid the handles popping out when you might just be approaching your car to load, or unload your boot, or just walking past it while carrying your keys.

And I often use the Button inside the boot handle recess to Lock my car, when shopping and charging for free!

Also if you are in your car, and you need to let a passenger in, using the Unlock button on the Drivers door, pops the handles out.

Sat 24 update
When you Park Up and open your Door, the Handles will still Pop Out, so you can close the door and Smart Lock your car with one finger.

If your normal routine, when leaving home, or your destination, is to load your boot, then opening the Boot, will also Pop Out the Door Handles. So if you load up quickly, the Door Handles will stay out long enough.

Let me know what you think having tried out the Off setting. It would seem to be the way to go, especially if you park up on your driveway at the front of your house, as there aren't that many scenarios where you have to Pop Out the Handle with your finger.
Last edited by advance2020 on Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Thanks for taking the time to do this, especially as I was considering checking these options sometime soon, because now we're getting more mizzle days unlocking/locking the doors is definitely more inconsistent.
advance2020 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:54 pm And I often use the Button inside the boot handle recess to Lock my car, when shopping and charging for free!
Same here now my local Tesco has active Pod Point chargers, I also use this technique when I commute because I have my laptop in the boot.
advance2020 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:54 pm Also if you are in your car, and you need to let a passenger in, using the Unlock button on the Drivers door, pops the handles out.
I'm finding that is very useful because passengers are confused as to how to open the door, and then moan they were getting wet trying to open the door.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

Locking the car by touching the handle worked for 2 days, then it stopped working. Unlocking works fine.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Thanks L
Learnt a new word today. Very apt.
70yrs + and still learning the English US ? language!

“The word mizzle, both noun and verb, is dialectal and regional in the U.S. The verb comes from Middle English misellen (missill) “to drizzle,” and is related to Middle Dutch misel “fog, dew” and Dutch dialect miezelen “to rain gently.” The noun sense entered English in the late 15th century.”

A
Gerynant24

Post by Gerynant24 »

Does anyone else find that the sensitivity to the finger touch seems erratic?

The auto pop-out/unlock works fine (and we have learnt to ignore it when we walk past), but I'm finding that sometimes I simply cannot lock the door with my finger having to resort to the fob.

Is there a knack to it I haven't found?

Having the same system on my BMW working for years, I don't think it's my finger :-)
keithr

Post by keithr »

Gerynant24 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:27 pm The auto pop-out/unlock works fine (and we have learnt to ignore it when we walk past), but I'm finding that sometimes I simply cannot lock the door with my finger having to resort to the fob.

Rather than repeating my reply in the "Door Handles: Smart entry & Locking" thread, here's a lin to it: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=506&p=5686#p5686.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

advance2020 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:33 am Thanks L
Learnt a new word today. Very apt.
70yrs + and still learning the English US ? language!

“The word mizzle, both noun and verb, is dialectal and regional in the U.S. The verb comes from Middle English misellen (missill) “to drizzle,” and is related to Middle Dutch misel “fog, dew” and Dutch dialect miezelen “to rain gently.” The noun sense entered English in the late 15th century.”

A
I've never thought about the origin of the word 'mizzle', it's regularly used in Cornwall where I was born & dragged up, also coincidently where I'm currently on holiday this week.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Gerynant24 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:27 pm Does anyone else find that the sensitivity to the finger touch seems erratic?

The auto pop-out/unlock works fine (and we have learnt to ignore it when we walk past), but I'm finding that sometimes I simply cannot lock the door with my finger having to resort to the fob.

Having the same system on my BMW working for years, I don't think it's my finger :-)
This is the main reason that I started this topic. And others have reported that the Smart Locking is inconsistent. But I have found since Switching Auto Pop Up Off that my car responds every time to a finger touch. Don't ask me why. Just try it for yourself.
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

My post here also demonstrates that the communication between fob and car continues all the same, even with auto pop-out disabled.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

ChesterUK wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:44 am My post here also demonstrates that the communication between fob and car continues all the same, even with auto pop-out disabled.
Yes, this is why I disabled the feature. The benefits IMO outweigh any negatives.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post