Battery loosing charge?

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
keithr

Post by keithr »

milligoon wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:47 pm I'd be very tempted to give the car back to your dealer for two weeks for them to monitor it daily, clearly something is very wrong!
I agree. As I'm not using the car much due to the lockdown it seems like a good time to let the dealer have a look at it, so I've booked it in for next Tuesday. They may only have the car for a day, so they can check the computer logs, or whatever, but you never know, they might find the cause of the problem!

I drove to the Honda dealer to discuss it and book it in, (combining the trip with a bit of shopping), so it was nice to drive in the milder weather, between 11 and 13C, and average 5.2 miles/kWh for the 12 - 13 miles of driving (around town). Much better than the colder weather economy. :)

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I've just seen this in the manual on page 154:

IMG_20210225_221258~2.jpg

2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
keithr

Post by keithr »

londiniumperson wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:30 pm I've just seen this in the manual on page 154:
Thanks for that. However, in my case the 12V battery has not been disconnected or replaced, and the manual says corrections only occur while driving, whereas mine is changing (always decreasing) while the car is parked and turned off.
keithr

Post by keithr »

keithr wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:48 pm I've booked it in for next Tuesday.
The dealer downloaded some data from the car and sent it off to Honda to be evaluated, so they kept the car overnight while they waited for a response from Honda. Bottom line is they couldn't find any problem, and there were no fault codes. They charged the car to 100%, just to check that it would charge to 100% (I suppose that'll save me a few pennies on charging, although I had to spend more on petrol for the courtesy car, which only had about 2 litres of petrol in it when I picked it up!). They said Honda told them that the car can lose charge in certain circumstances, but they didn't tell the dealer what those circumstances are!

I also mentioned the drivers door window problem that I had last week, where it dropped down as soon as I turned the car off, and wouldn't move up again when I opened and shut the door. I think they said it may be the switch, which is integrated with the door handle, so they've ordered a new door handle, and I'll have to take the car back for that to be replaced when it arrives (probably next week).

So as I expected they couldn't find any problem and have said to just keep monitoring it!

The courtesy car was a Honda Jazz, one of the new hybrid cars, with CVT auto transmission. I was quite impressed with that. It's almost as quiet as the Honda e and the ride quality just as good, maybe even slightly better (and no rattles!). A nice car that easily does over 70mpg (on my way home, after putting some petrol in it, the drive was overall downhill and I got 111mpg out of it (only about 2 - 3 miles journey). It still burns petrol and pollutes the air though, so the Honda e is better (and I missed not having the parking cameras in the Jazz).
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Maybe next time you are at the dealers you could convince them to keep it from Friday to say Monday or Tuesday without touching it then see the before and after charge ? Mine has sat for almost a week at 38% and 37 miles with neither budging, this is with the car unplugged.
Ex e owner
keithr

Post by keithr »

milligoon wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:56 am Maybe next time you are at the dealers you could convince them to keep it from Friday to say Monday or Tuesday without touching it then see the before and after charge ?
The trouble is that it is unprediactable. It started losing charge in January (when the car was about 4 months old), but it has gone for two weeks without losing any charge, and it then loses charge again. It seems like if it is losing charge then either driving or charging the car will stop it losing charge, but that I never know when parking the car whether or not it will start losing charge. Most of the time it doesn't lose charge. So if I gave it to the garage it could sit for weeks and never lose charge, so they would need to be using the car to experience it. But even if it did lose charge, what could they do? They have already checked the car's log files and couldn't detect any problems. If the car is not programmed to log any informationn that will give a clue as to what's wrong then there's nothing to be gained by letting them keep the car. At best it will have a record of the SOC over time and they could confirm that it has lost charge, but it doesn't help to explain what's causing it.

I suspect all I can do it to keep monitoring it. If it doesn't get any worse then I can live with it. If it starts losing charge more frequently or more rapidly then I'll take it back and hope they can come up with a plan for fixing it.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

londiniumperson wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:30 pm I've just seen this in the manual on page 154:
IMG_20210225_221258~2.jpg
So that must be why usually after I arrive home and stay in it still on for 5 to 10 minutes the SOC goes up by 1% sometimes. It must be the battery cooling down and shrinking the capacity slightly.
Can make sense for me.
keithr

Post by keithr »

It lost another 9% in a couple of days, I noticed on Thursday. There's a bit of a pattern, in that it is fine most of the time but it looses some charge every 10 or 14 days.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

keithr wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:45 pm It lost another 9% in a couple of days, I noticed on Thursday. There's a bit of a pattern, in that it is fine most of the time but it looses some charge every 10 or 14 days.
Wow 9% in 2 days?
I don't think it has really to do with this but do you keep your key close to the car that it remains active all the time maybe? But that should be on the 12V battery I think not the 35kWh one.
Tesla loose charge because of the app or sentry mode but you said you are not connected. Did you activate the sentry mode on yours? :)
Could it be that you have pre climate schedule on? Maybe it is switching the AC on automatically sometimes?
keithr

Post by keithr »

Reuben80 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:29 pm I don't think it has really to do with this but do you keep your key close to the car that it remains active all the time maybe?
No. The door handles don't pop out until I'm within a few feet of the car, so I'm sure the keys are too far away normally (and in a Faraday bag).
Could it be that you have pre climate schedule on? Maybe it is switching the AC on automatically sometimes?
No, I've checked that. Plus on one occasion it dropped 1% while I had the 12V battery on charge and I was checking it every now and again to see if the charging had finished, and I never heard the AC being on.

It's still a mystery!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post