Battery loosing charge?

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

You have an odd issue there, mine wasn't used for 9 days and it didn't drop a single %, any odd signs on a cold morning like an unfrozen screen etc?
Ex e owner

Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

keithr wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:45 am My car has just lost 3% charge again, in the last two days since I last checked it. Very strange!
what percentage number is exactly?
keithr

Post by keithr »

Reuben80 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:34 pm what percentage number is exactly?
It dropped from 52% to 49% on this occasion.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Your app was ever activated and is it working properly?
You can try to switch off the location and data sharing option when you start the car and test it this way when you plan not to drive for 3 days.
keithr

Post by keithr »

Reuben80 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:00 am Your app was ever activated and is it working properly?
You can try to switch off the location and data sharing option when you start the car and test it this way when you plan not to drive for 3 days.
The app has not been activated and I've never had it working. I've just changed the setting to OFF (which is the default according to the manual). For the last three days the car has been parked and it has not lost any charge.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

To me happened more than once that when I arrive home and stay in the car for 3 minutes or so, the state of charge goes up by 1% without charging lol. Calibration problem or I don't know.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Over 3.5 weeks ago I did not use my e. (Hello lockdown) Had put it away with a battery charged of 79%. Yesterday I drove for the first time again. When I got in, the battery was still 79% full. The car is in an underground parking garage, so no contact with the outside world is possible and the app still doesn't work cause the dealer is not open (Hello lockdown) to activate eSim.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

For those fortunate enough to understand German (😉), this video may provide some inside in difficulties regarding charge state assessment. Tesla apparently have major issues with a.o. charge state calculation.

By far the most factual and qualified EV YouTube channel I have come across.
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Trykpaa wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:11 am For those fortunate enough to understand German (😉), this video may provide some inside in difficulties regarding charge state assessment. Tesla apparently have major issues with a.o. charge state calculation.

By far the most factual and qualified EV YouTube channel I have come across.
Short take away from above: In the case with Teslas from China, the ability for BMS to provide accurate charge percentage and range estimates relies on calibration, which only occur when charging to 100%. Tesla recommend charging to 100% at least once or week and to leave the car in the charger whenever possible.

I can't say the same goes for the E, but symptoms do seem alike. Maybe worth trying 100% charge.
keithr

Post by keithr »

Trykpaa wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:26 am In the case with Teslas from China, the ability for BMS to provide accurate charge percentage and range estimates relies on calibration, which only occur when charging to 100%. Tesla recommend charging to 100% at least once or week and to leave the car in the charger whenever possible.

I can't say the same goes for the E, but symptoms do seem alike. Maybe worth trying 100% charge.
A 100% charge will have to wait until we come out of lockdown, so I can drive the car far enough so that it doesn't have to sit parked for days or weeks at high state of charge.

However, the video talks about (thankfully there are English subtitles) the Chinese made Model 3's which have lithium iron phosphate batteries - a different type of battery to the Honda e's batteries. It says they have a very flat voltage curve during charging and discharging which makes it difficult to determine the state of charge (the voltage rises near fully charged, which makes it easier for the BMS to determine the SOC, hence the recommendation to charge to 100% farily frequently). Also charging to 100% doesn't degrade lithium iron phosphate batteries as quickly as it does for more conventional lithium ion batteries.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post