Battery loosing charge?

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
keithr

Post by keithr »

A few weeks ago I was surprised when my car's SOC dropped by 3% in one day, while parked on my driveway. After that it was OK and I didn't notice it loosing charge again. However, last Friday I gave the car a short charge after I had been out shopping, and left the car parked showing 57% SOC. Then today, nearly exactly 5 days later, I went out in the car again and was surprised to see that the SOC had dropped to 48%. So it had lost 9% in 5 days of being parked (as we're in another covid-19 lockdown at the moment). That's a loss of about 2.8kWh, or about 0.56kWh per day.

Averaged over 5 days that's equivalent to a continuous drain of about 23W, which doesn't sound so much, but it wasn't loosing any noticable charge previously, and neither of my Nissan LEAFs ever lost any noticable charge either, so I'm puzzled by the charge loss. Has anyone else noticed any loss of charge while the car is left parked?

Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Are you connected to the app? That might be one of the causes. What is the ambient temperature?
keithr

Post by keithr »

No I don't use the app. I did try connecting my tablet when I first got the car, but it immediately failed to send the code so I gave up at that point (first week in September) and I've not tried since. The car didn't loose any charge for the first 4 months.

It's been fairly mild and wet recently, today it's been 8 - 9C. When it first lost the 3% in a day my first thought was the temperature, but it was warmer that day than it had been, and likewise the last 5 days have been fairly mild.

After 3 days being parked it will, I believe, at some point charge the 12V battery, but I manually put the 12V battery on charge once a week and so I know that takes less than 0.15kWh to charge (and I charged it on Tuesday).
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Have you checked the climate settings aren't enabled because I've found that will use at least 3% each time?
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Keith: thanks for sharing this. Hope you manage to resolve. I guess your car is doing something?

Just want to say that I have never seen any drop in battery % (not sure what SOC means). My car is always parked in a garage, so less exposed to temp drops overnight. And there have been several times, when my car has remained parked up for 2-3 days.

Also never charged my 12V.
Manual says you have to disconnect both terminals, so I am a bit reluctant to go there.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
keithr

Post by keithr »

advance2020 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:10 am (not sure what SOC means).
SOC = State Of Charge, i.e. battery percentage of a full charge.
Also never charged my 12V.
Manual says you have to disconnect both terminals, so I am a bit reluctant to go there.
Yes it does say that, but with my Nissan LEAFs and with the Honda I just attach a smart battery charger direct to the battery terminals, without disconnecting them, and I've never had any problems with doing that. I recently changed my smart battery charger from a 3.5amp to a 5amp charger, but hopefully that hasn't caused the problem! I don't think that the smart battery charger uses any higher voltage than the DC-DC converter does when it charges the 12V battery, and it probably charges at a slower rate (lower amps/power) too.
keithr

Post by keithr »

londiniumperson wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:19 pm Have you checked the climate settings aren't enabled because I've found that will use at least 3% each time?
I've never used the climate pre-conditioning settings, but when the car lost 3% in a day I did check them just to be sure. It all looked OK, but I'll check again just to be sure.
Sousaphone

Post by Sousaphone »

Just checked mine. If the app isn’t lying, it’s been at 69% for almost three days of not driving.
Left4Cookies

Post by Left4Cookies »

Mine has been sitting at 77% for three days in temperatures between -2 to 8 degrees. The only time I’ve noticed a “drop” is one of the rare times I charge it to 100%, it stops in the night and then it’s at 99% in the morning, but who knows what’s that’s about.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

You need to test it more. If it does it again means there is something wrong. I don't think it is from the battery, I would think it is from some kind of setting.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post