Window washer system - odd place to go cheap

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Sousaphone

Post by Sousaphone »

I finally used up the factory window washer fluid yesterday, and was rather surprised to find that Honda has opted to save a minuscule amount of money by not fitting a fluid level sensor to the washer system.

Coming from Volvos, where a sensor was standard on everything I’ve driven since the 1988 Volvo 340 DL (which was rather excused by being a mid-seventies design), it seems strange to say the least. I was truly having trouble fathoming what sort of executive utterly bereft of gorm it would take to think that a premium car could get away with that sort of lack of attention to detail, but then I remembered the app...

Anyway, rant aside, the window washer fluid reservoir is about a third of the size of the one on my 1998 Volvo V70. I guess that’s a natural consequence of the size of the car, but it still feels odd to me when filling it - and it seems like I’ll get to do that a lot.

milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Thanks for reminding me, I haven't topped mine up yet it maybe getting low.
Ex e owner
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Thanks for informing. I am happy to know that there are no warning though 😉 There are plenty of warnings in modern cars and in my opinion, having a warning on washer fluid effectively just reduces the net size. My Civic has one and it's a pain in the a**.

I do find that we use way less fluid in the E, partly due to preheating (no fluid used to remove ice) and very little motorway.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Sousaphone wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:25 am I finally used up the factory window washer fluid yesterday, and was rather surprised to find that Honda has opted to save a minuscule amount of money by not fitting a fluid level sensor to the washer system.

Coming from Volvos, where a sensor was standard on everything I’ve driven since the 1988 Volvo 340 DL (which was rather excused by being a mid-seventies design), it seems strange to say the least. I was truly having trouble fathoming what sort of executive utterly bereft of gorm it would take to think that a premium car could get away with that sort of lack of attention to detail, but then I remembered the app...

Anyway, rant aside, the window washer fluid reservoir is about a third of the size of the one on my 1998 Volvo V70. I guess that’s a natural consequence of the size of the car, but it still feels odd to me when filling it - and it seems like I’ll get to do that a lot.
I am not surprised. Volvos are precisely built for a cold climate and equipped with all kinds of useful tools. Honda must have had central Europe in mind. ;)

Did you know that Volvo actually didn't develop the 340 (and 360)? That model was actually the DAF 77, developed and built in the Netherlands. Volvo got that model (and brand) on a silver platter when they took over DAF. Have been to the factory several times, now MINIs and BMWs are being built there. Still. BMW has canceled the contract. Is the only car factory in the Netherlands. :cry:
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Ah hang on, I was about to post a rant on why would the washer jets still be frozen after pre-heating the car for half an hour, driving for 10 minutes, and sitting with the car can heating on for an hour while it charged. What the hell did Honda put in there at the factory that can't even handle -2 °C?

Now I realise, the bottle's probably just empty!

It could be worse. Our first gen BMW Mini Cooper S has no level switch on the coolant expansion tank. Due to a leaky water pump (which we had no idea about), the coolant level fell too much and the car overheated causing a warped head which we had to get skimmed, just a month after the three-year warranty had expired, at our expense. The leaky pump had probably been leaking well within the warranty, but no level switch = no idea (and no proof too of course). Since every car I'd had previously had always had that level switch, I'd assumed it was standard, so hadn't been regularly checking the coolant level. I figured that during the warranty period, we shouldn't really have to even bother opening the bonnet (a position I don't think is that unreasonable on a modern vehicle).

EDIT: Ok I WILL have a rant about it then. I just checked and it wasn't empty. It's only 0 °C now. There was ice on the end of the crappy dip-stick, and it only took less than 2 litres to fill. I blasted the waster lever for ages and after a while it started dribbling out the rear washer, then eventually the front jets too. Had to get through about a litre before both front and rear just worked as they should (using the corresponding front/rear control). I assume whatever Honda did put in there was the weakest mix possible that still smells vaguely of washer fluid.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

It's cold fill it with Vodka
Ex e owner

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post