AC Fast Charging

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Update.

I've used the same charging location again twice now, and both times the charge rate went straight up to 7.2 kW. There are a total of three double socket charge points (so up to 6 vehicles can charge simultaneously. On the first occasion I was plugged in to one point, and there was one other vehicle (an MG ZS) plugged in to the next charger, so two of the three chargers where being used by a single vehicle. That's when I was only getting < 5 kW. On the second occasion, I was plugged into what I'll call charge point three, there were no other vehicles present, and got the full 7.2 kW. On the third occasion I used the only point I'd yet to try (the one that has the MG at the first time) and again I was the only vehicle there and I got 7.2 kW.

From that I might concluded that:
1) There's a fault with the first charger I tried, or
2) There's an issue with the vehicle that is intermittent or only in specific conditions, or
3) The group of chargers has a very poor power limit (maybe something like only 10 kW total) and the charge points load balance accordingly.

Point 3 would make sense, if not for the fact that I could get the power draw to go up to close to 7 kW when I turned my heating on. I can see if it might be 1 by trying the same charger as I had trouble with and see if it happens again, and I can also try again when there's another vehicle there, but this may prove more difficult since it's at the leisure centre which no one is visiting as it's closed during lockdown.

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

The charge rates will depend on the in-feed to the bank of chargers.
There'll be a master unit (in the case of the Tesco Pod Points, this is obvious) that controls the power allocated to each connected charge point. The software can be set in a variety of ways, but most likely to share the available power equally between each connected car.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post