Winter range test

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Just for the kicks. I did a little range test yesterday. 17" winter tires, -4degr, dry, windy, no preheating, mainly country road 80-90km/h, average speed 66km/h, normal driving. Heated seat and steering wheel, Cabin heat on occasional.

I got 140,7km @ 182wh/km with 4% left = 146,6km or 26,7kWh usable battery.

Recharging overnight took 29,42kWh or 30,65kWh battery capacity. A bit more than the 30kWh I got last time, probably due to cold weather loss.

Consumption is significantly higher the first 10-15min (250-300wh/km), then settles. Assume it is the battery heater. There were a new noise 😉

All as expected, but:
Route acc Google maps is only 132,5 km. So distance measurement is 6% off? Any experience on this from other users. It does increase apparent range quite significantly.

milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Speedo calibration is a fair bit off, you can see the difference when you put Waze on, Waze gives GPS speed and car indicates higher, which is daft given that these calls all have GPS as standard, I don't know why they calculate speeds by rolling circumference!
Ex e owner
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

milligoon wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:57 am Speedo calibration is a fair bit off, you can see the difference when you put Waze on, Waze gives GPS speed and car indicates higher, which is daft given that these calls all have GPS as standard, I don't know why they calculate speeds by rolling circumference!
On modern cars, speed and distance are normally not aligned as speedo shall be optimistic to get approval.
I every other car I have had, if you drive indicated 100, set cruise, the average speed indicated will only be 95ish. Never had an odometer being off more than 1% before.
Last edited by Trykpaa on Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Trykpaa wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:21 pm
milligoon wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:57 am Speedo calibration is a fair bit off, you can see the difference when you put Waze on, Waze gives GPS speed and car indicates higher, which is daft given that these calls all have GPS as standard, I don't know why they calculate speeds by rolling circumference!
On modern cars, speed and distance are normally not aligned as speedo shall to be optimistic to get approval.
I every other car I have had, if you drive indicated 100, set cruise, the average speed indicated will only be 95ish. Never had an odometer being off more than 1% before.
I've always understood that in the UK, cars legally cannot indicate a speed lower than actual and that it must be within 10%, so an indicated 70mph could be anywhere between 63 & 70mph.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Trykpaa wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:22 am Recharging overnight took 29,42kWh or 30,65kWh battery capacity.
What does that even mean?
All as expected, but:
Route acc Google maps is only 132,5 km. So distance measurement is 6% off? Any experience on this from other users. It does increase apparent range quite significantly.
After the first few hundred miles in our e I was suspicious that the odometer was reading high, since that total mileage seemed to be more than the sum of the (relatively few at the time) trips we had taken. I have never really investigated it fully though, as I assumed that since no one else on here had reported seeing something similar, it was probably just my miscalculation.

Now you've got me worried again. A high-reading odometer is a significant fault, since the "mileage" directly affects the cars resale value.
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

rickwookie wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:35 pm
Trykpaa wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:22 am Recharging overnight took 29,42kWh or 30,65kWh battery capacity.
What does that even mean?
All as expected, but:
After the first few hundred miles in our e I was suspicious that the odometer was reading high, since that total mileage seemed to be more than the sum of the (relatively few at the time) trips we had taken. I have never really investigated it fully though, as I assumed that since no one else on here had reported seeing something similar, it was probably just my miscalculation.

Now you've got me worried again. A high-reading odometer is a significant fault, since the "mileage" directly affects the cars resale value.
Those two kWh-number are actual power from wall box and calculated to 100%. The later is an indication of battery capacity (the amount of power you can put on the battery).

6% off on distance won't affect resale value to any measarable amount. 52000 or 55000km is the same in used car world.
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Update on odometer: Did a test today comparing car with cycling GPS, and got a deviation of 0,6%. Much more reasonable and as I would expect. Don't know what went wrong with that range test.
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Update on odometer: Did a test today comparing car with cycling GPS, and got a deviation of 0,6%. Much more reasonable and as I would expect. Don't know what caused odometer deviation on that trip.
Last edited by Trykpaa on Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Clearly not Winter in the UK just now. Can't believe the stats on my dash today. I did “pop out” earlier to buy a paper, which would have warmed the battery. This is for second “essential” trip today. And obviously the weather is very mild.

Just checked Average speeds from Journey logs in App - as people asked
So yes, these are country roads with some 30 & 40mph limits, so not going fast.
Average speed 25.4m/hr Max speed 44mph , and Outbound 31mph out, Max speed 48mph
I guess it's the higher speeds, Dual carriageway and Motorway driving that is killing your batteries for some. It's a City Car....

Early morning trip (to buy paper) - Avg 28.8 mph Max speed 60.5 mph - 6 mins

CF15263D-6CD4-4B26-8E85-3D207AFFE331.jpeg

Last edited by advance2020 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
bogga

Post by bogga »

You drive very differently to me, or my car is broken.. My average is 2.9

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post