Digital Key Error Warning

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

B894FF92-4CD5-415D-BA13-EC1FBEDDA417.jpeg

Yesterday I got an Error Message on my dash, and it reappeared this morning.
Before I rush to my Dealer, I thought I would ask if others have seen this orange symbol?

The Manual says it relates to the Digital Key and to have it checked by my Dealer. Not the same as a Low Battery (Key Fob) warning. Think I might try my other key first, as round trip to Dealer is over 50 miles.

Warning is the bottom one/last in the set shown by this image from manual.

1D7590D5-E8E8-4EA5-A2AB-EEC07A7EE9A8.png

Last edited by advance2020 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

MattHero

Post by MattHero »

I've had this almost permanently since I got the car. Other than being annoyingly persistent, seems to make zero difference.
Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

MattHero wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:27 pm I've had this almost permanently since I got the car. Other than being annoyingly persistent, seems to make zero difference.
Thanks Matt. Good to know in a way?
Have you referred to your Dealer? I assume, if you did they were unable to fix.

Having made contact with my Dealer, I'm booked in with them on Monday. So will let you know outcome. Fingers crossed.
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

When if first occurred a few days into ownership, car needed a quick return to dealer to sort the TCU status and they reset it again (September 2020). Within a month, the error had reoccurred and has remained since and I figured that next time I needed to take it in, I'd ask for another reset.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

MattHero wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:22 pm When if first occurred a few days into ownership, car needed a quick return to dealer to sort the TCU status and they reset it again (September 2020). Within a month, the error had reoccurred and has remained since and I figured that next time I needed to take it in, I'd ask for another reset.
Thanks for this. As I suspected. It is probably easy for them to “reset” but more difficult to get to the route of the problem. It would be good to hear from others, who may have seen the same “error message” and gotten use to living with it, like you.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Matt,

My Dealer reset the Error Message yesterday, and also checked my 12V battery, which is fine.
As yet the error has not reoccurred, but of course it is early days. However they did tell me that this is a known fault, and their diagnostics told them that an Antenna needs to be replaced, which will be done under warranty, when they have the part(s) required.
I am no hurry to have this fix - will wait until Warning Light comes on again - not sure where the Antenna is located, and how much access is required within the car to rework.

However I thought you would like to know, and maybe get your Dealer up to speed. And of course I would still like to hear form any other drivers who may have experienced the same warning. My concern is, should this system fail entirely, I assume the car would be unable to detect the Key Fob and hence it would be impossible to Start or Drive the car.

I know there is a Mechanical Key that can be used to open/unlock the door, but I don't think it is possible to use this to start the car!
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I would expect to be able to follow the instructions on page 649 if there was a problem with the antenna or keyfob itself, it's likely that holding the key to the power button will power the circuitry (i.e. NFC) and be close enough to recognise it's existence.

IMG_20210223_191938.jpg

2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Londinium - thanks for this - good to know - just in case. Clever these Japanese.
I took a quick look at the manual before posting mine above, and didn't find this. So much to learn.
Cheers, A
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

What do you Guys think?

My Dealer has made a Warranty claim against Honda, reporting the Antenna as Faulty, and Honda have sent them the part(s) required. They are keen to “book me in” and replace the Antenna. I have found out this requires “removing the interior roof panel and an interior panel on the Drivers door pillar. I am nervous, because of all the reports of rattles, which are mainly overhead. I have told my Dealer about my concerns, and since the part (Antenna) hasn't actually failed, I would rather wait until, and when, the Warning Light reappears and the system has totally failed.

While I appreciate that puts my Dealer in a difficult situation, they are trying to tell me that if they Cancel the Warranty Claim and have to return the part to Honda (within the required month) Honda may REJECT a future claim for the same issue.

Am I being unreasonable? Surely the car is under warranty for at least 3 years, and period of my PCP. So if and when the system fails they are required to fix it?

I have asked them to report back my concerns to Honda and advise. The only other car I have EVER personally owned from NEW (via another PCP) was an Audi A4 and so I have never had to make a Claim under Warranty before. If the work required resulted in “overhead rattles” or any loss of integrity of the interior panels I would be seriously pissed off.

I look forward to your comments, and any accounts of similar Warranty Claims you may have made.
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

[quote=advance2020 post_id=7854 time=1614102159 user_id=150

However I thought you would like to know, and maybe get your Dealer up to speed. And of course I would still like to hear form any other drivers who may have experienced the same warning. My concern is, should this system fail entirely, I assume the car would be unable to detect the Key Fob and hence it would be impossible to Start or Drive the car.

[/quote]

ah, thanks for this - missed your previous reply - and the update. I'm with you TBH; a little reluctant to have that volume of work for a part that might not have failed.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post