Poor GPS reception

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Gerynant24

Post by Gerynant24 »

Has anyone noticed that the GPS signal on the satnav takes a long time to lock on?
I’ve had times when the nav puts the car several 10s of meters off its actual location which messes up directions in towns.
The guide says that the antenna is in the dash, but I’m wondering if the front window electric demist wires are blocking the signal. I’ve noticed the similar problem on my iPhone and in fact it’s worse on that.
I’m going to try a GPS signal repeater to get an antenna outside car bodywork.

Any thoughts on if this would help?

bogga

Post by bogga »

Android Auto is supposed to be using the car's built in GPS antenna.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

bogga wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:30 pm Android Auto is supposed to be using the car's built in GPS antenna.
Android Auto just mirrors specific phone apps, therefore utilises the phone's built in GPS antenna and not the car's.
I use Android Auto and leave my phone in the pocket under the USB ports and don't usually have any issues with it's built in GPS, I would have hoped that the car's antenna would be better placed than where I store my phone whilst driving.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

I don't often need to use SavNav.
When I do, I prefer to use Google Maps on my iPhone via CarPlay.
I have noticed a lag in location recently, however I doubt this is an issue with my car. This happened in Salisbury & Yeovil, both well mapped city/town where you would expect excellent mobile reception/speed.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
bogga

Post by bogga »

londiniumperson wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:57 am
bogga wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:30 pm Android Auto is supposed to be using the car's built in GPS antenna.
Android Auto just mirrors specific phone apps, therefore utilises the phone's built in GPS antenna and not the car's.
I use Android Auto and leave my phone in the pocket under the USB ports and don't usually have any issues with it's built in GPS, I would have hoped that the car's antenna would be better placed than where I store my phone whilst driving.
Android Auto is supposed use to the HU (headunit)'s GPS in preference to it's own. If it's not working on the Honda, that's a different issue. The E is my third car with AA, it definitely uses the car's GPS antenna.
londiniumperson

bogga wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:41 am
londiniumperson wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:57 am
Android Auto is supposed use to the HU (headunit)'s GPS in preference to it's own. If it's not working on the Honda, that's a different issue. The E is my third car with AA, it definitely uses the car's GPS antenna.
Well every day's a school day.
I've just corroborated that with an Android Auto expert, I'm not a Reddit fan, which initially seemed to be the only place that I could check this.
Gerynant24

Post by Gerynant24 »

Is it safe to assume that Apple CarPlay will do the same then?
marab

Post by marab »

I have the same problem with wireless carplay and google maps in the city. In the city there is a delay of 200-500m. It's very uncomfortable. I will research it because it is not always the case.
Advance with 17" wheels, platinum white pearl
first registration 06/2020 in Austria
first wrecked Honda e in the world :twisted:
londiniumperson

marab wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:15 am I have the same problem with wireless carplay and google maps in the city. In the city there is a delay of 200-500m. It's very uncomfortable. I will research it because it is not always the case.
Have a look at at this Google support article for both Android & iPhone, it might help:
https://support.google.com/maps/answer/ ... l=en&oco=0
TefalDon

Post by TefalDon »

Had poor gps then totally stopped working in July 2023. Dorchester said they fixed it, but not. Now replaced numerous parts in tech area still not working. Now told no satalite or gps and need all new wiring kit.. which isn't available until January 2024.
Received discrimination at Horizon Honda Dorchester, and min 3rd person in a year to have awful treatment.
I was not given car key back after asking 3 times, told it's ok to sit in my car, told I talk to loud hence half deaf. Told to use my own phone at nav as honda is rubbish. To not use charging cord of my choice. Controlling behaviour or what. Next day asked to be left alone but told to listen and I am a liar.
Honda head office said if car drives give back to customer even though not fit for purpose. Luckily I still have courtesy car which is now a hire car apparently.

Honda Accessories Precautions
The GPS antenna is located in the dashboard. Metallic front or side window tinting can seriously degrade or obstruct GPS reception.
Signal noise from devices such as radar detectors, vehicle tracking devices, remote starters, and additional amplifiers can disrupt the navigation system. If you
install any such item, install it away from the navigation display and antenna.