Active cooling system

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

SwissChris wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:04 pm This discussion again shows the need for a proper OBD2 tool like it is available for Tesla & Co! I want to know the degradation state of my battery at least on a monthly basis ;)
That should be as simple as entering a menu...
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂

Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

SwissChris wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:55 pm Good point. Therefore it makes sense to program pre heating whilst the car is plugged in, as the system will warm up the battery approx. 60 mins before the planned driving start, depending on battery temperature.
I would assume that by programing to charge the car before you drive away helps to keep the battery temperature optimal for driving. I don't think that you need to preheat the cabin for that.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

SwissChris wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:24 am Well especially the heating and cooling of the battery of the Honda e is very well documented (not free of charge though). Honda learned a lot from the Clarity Hybrid/Electric and designed a sophisticated liquid cooling/heating system which tries to keep the battery at the optimal operating temperature between 25° and 35°C. E.g. special adjustable orifices for each cooling plate under each battery pack ensure minimum temperature variation of the battery packs by precisely controlling the coolant flow.
Can you tell us where it is documented please? I would love to see it.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

SwissChris wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:16 pm Maybe its because English is not my first language, but what is the difference between fast and rapid charging? Honda tested the e at temperatures of 35°C in a cycle of driving at 100 km/h and DC fast (rapid?) charging and the system was capable to keep the battery temperature within threshold. The Power Control Unit anyway has its own cooling circuit with its own radiator at the front of the vehicle (in front of the radiator fan and below the battery radiator). The engine/gearbox is cooled by engine oil and an engine oil cooler.

It is obvious that you are not (yet) able to detect any battery degradation, but for sure there is one, especially our NCM battery chemistry degrades pretty fast during the first charging cycles and then degrades much slower. The Battery Management System will take care that you will not notice it though.
Is there a way to know if the battery cooling system is active or not? If I open the bonnet will I be able to understand?
SwissChris

Post by SwissChris »

Reuben80 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:23 pm Can you tell us where it is documented please? I would love to see it.
See here: https://www.sae.org/publications/techni ... 0-01-1383/. Most of the content is visible in the preview, however I bought the whole document.
SwissChris

Post by SwissChris »

Reuben80 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:26 pm Is there a way to know if the battery cooling system is active or not? If I open the bonnet will I be able to understand?
Not that I am aware of, except connecting it to the HDS laptop from a dealer.
bogga

Post by bogga »

Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

SwissChris wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:51 pm
Reuben80 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:23 pm Can you tell us where it is documented please? I would love to see it.
See here: https://www.sae.org/publications/techni ... 0-01-1383/. Most of the content is visible in the preview, however I bought the whole document.
That is great. Thank you very much. Very interesting, first time I saw this in detail. Is it worth it to buy the whole document? What else it includes?
SwissChris

Post by SwissChris »

Well basically there are only two more pages, containing details regarding battery cooling and battery warm-up processes. Due to copyright regulations, I am unfortunately not able to paste it in this forum.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

SwissChris wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:47 pm Well basically there are only two more pages, containing details regarding battery cooling and battery warm-up processes. Due to copyright regulations, I am unfortunately not able to paste it in this forum.
Do you think that switching the AC remotely will also cool or warm up the battery when the car is parked outside? Let's say under a scorching sun in summer

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post