Dead Honda e

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Tonight I was hoping to test out the Sygic GPS Navigation on Android as well as try my son's iPhone on the E, however a few moments after my son unlocked it & tried to connect his iPhone the car powered off & will not power back on again.
I cannot lock it and had to use the manual charge port release but cannot start a charge, so it looks like the 12v battery is defunct.
I'm currently awaiting the AA via the Honda breakdown service (which you need to access via the MyHonda+ app (no info was provided by my local stealer), luckily I was at home and not stranded somewhere.
Also I had opened a rear door, so due to no power the window didn't retract so is now pressing on the outside of the bodywork.

I'll post an update later when I know more.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

londiniumperson

I don't know why Honda are insistent that the standard Honda breakdown number is not used.
londiniumperson

AA arrived, used a jump pack & all OK now with the windows & doors correctly shut & the car on charge.
The 12v battery only had a reading of 10v when he arrived, and now that the car's on the home charger it's charging the main traction battery & the 12v battery is OK pulling about 30 amps.

It looks like a phone call (with an email follow up) to the Honda stealer tomorrow.
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Oh no, but glad it went back alive!! Any idea what caused such sudden drainage of 12v battery?

I have been keeping eyes on my stick gauge, normally above 14, sometimes goes down to 12-13 (whilst driving), but never seen below than that so far.
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
T.Wolfe

Post by T.Wolfe »

Thought this might be a good place to drop this tip.

Woke up on monday after charging car on sunday ready for my 15 min drive to work.

Battery flat! So flat that the windows didn't even open when opening the driver door. We're talking pancake here. Pretty annoyed as it had approx 74% the night before.

Taxi'd to work and called honda assist when I got home in the evening. They promptly dispatched the AA :-).

I was dreading the DC charge, as 'ive been an AC 80% purist since fetting the car in January.

AA arrived and bloke said he'd never seen one of the honda e's and didn't expect to ever, as he stated "the've gor really good reliability and simply don't break down". Stated he had a lot of call outs for Jag i-pace and VW ID3 / ID4, but this was his first Honda E.

He had no fast charger in the van, as he stated AA and RAC had looked at this and decided theat it wasn't worth the investment in putting one nin every van as the number of call outs for flat batteries is so low. (A mix of good reliability for EVs, and range anxiety,, he informed me)

And the problem with my wee E was........ flat 12volt battery! Simple trickle charger needed to solve it!

30,000 Volts in the main battery and a paltry 12V battery brought the show to a stop?

Aparently if the 12v gets drained then there is no software fix for it to be charged from the main battery! And a jumpstart is needed as if it was an ICE car.
This was also the case with the ID3 aparently, but they rolled out a software update to charge the 12V if it drops down too low.

And the cause of my 12V drop was leaving the parking lights on, (white low front beam, not hazards) which don't turn off when you hit the lock car button.

A software update would be a very good thing to fix this. (i.e. charge 12v from main battery if voltage of 12V drops below say 9V)

Anyhoooo that's my tail of woe to update everyone.

You can buy a 12V handheld trickle charger to avoid this. Approx £40 from and car accessory shop I'm informed. This will now be added to my essential equipment list for the wee E, and kept in the wee boot. :-)
SwissChris

Post by SwissChris »

When I saw the Honda e at the Zurich Motor Show for the first time, they also had issues with the 12V battery despite the car was connected to a wallbox. The car was a people magnet and you had to cue to sit in it, of course people played around with the aquarium etc. After a couple of hours the car was dead, they called Honda Japan and have been told to buckle on the seatbelt even if no one is sitting in the car. After 20 mins, the 12V battery went back to life, so maybe this trick is still valid.
bogga

Post by bogga »

SwissChris wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:43 am ... have been told to buckle on the seatbelt even if no one is sitting in the car. After 20 mins, the 12V battery went back to life, so maybe this trick is still valid.
Drivers seat, passengers,both?
SwissChris

Post by SwissChris »

Drivers seat only.
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Can someone drain the 12V battery and try it out please :)
sbullo

Post by sbullo »

I've been using the drivers seat buckled up trick since I got the car and so far have not had a 12v battery issue. Now that I've said that out loud I bet I will. lol
Longested I've tested it is for 1 hour, watching videos, with HVAC and seat heaters on and headlights (forgot to turn off).
Adv. 16" Wheels

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post