Dead Honda e

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

T.Wolfe wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:39 am 30,000 Volts in the main battery and a paltry 12V battery brought the show to a stop?
😳

There are no Volts “in” either battery actually, since voltage is a measure of the potential difference between two points, so there is voltage “across” a battery.

The main traction battery thankfully doesn’t have anything close to 30,000 volts across it. More like around 350 V.

MartinC

Post by MartinC »

I think you had you hyperbole detector turned off :-D Despite being an electronics engineer I frequently refer to charging mine as filling up with volts.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Thing is with a wet 12v battery they should never be deeply discharged, given that one could argue this is outside our control, the battery should be replaced, I doubt however Honda would agree.

On my gt86 there was a battery drain issue, if not driven for around two weeks it would go flat basically they had a batch of batteries that were not upto the job of not being driven very regularly, you had to fight with toyota to get them replaced with a better battery, if you did it yourself they wouldn't warranty the electrical system! Yes as daft as that sounds. I fitted a ctek battery monitor it warned me when it was getting low via Bluetooth if I was anywhere near the car. So I could charge it or drive it etc.

I was going to fit one to the Honda as well as a ctek charge plug but haven't had any issues yet and put main power on when in the car instead of sitting an ancillary (12v only) it is my daily drive keeping my fingers crossed I know I shouldn't have to but the car does warn you and shut down after a brief period if the main power isn't on.
Ex e owner
pk87

Post by pk87 »

Hi I think a Victron Smart Sense is more reliable, especially that it measures also the temperature. The price is similar.
https://www.victronenergy.com/accessori ... tery-sense.
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

MartinC wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:35 am I think you had you hyperbole detector turned off :-D Despite being an electronics engineer I frequently refer to charging mine as filling up with volts.
Really?! Then as a fellow Electronics Engineer, if there was something you could be struck-off from, which there isn’t, I’d probably have to petition for it. 😂
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

milligoon wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:32 am Thing is with a wet 12v battery they should never be deeply discharged, given that one could argue this is outside our control, the battery should be replaced, I doubt however Honda would agree.
I 100% agree. There’s zero feedback to the user when the 12 V battery is or isn’t charging, or and warning when its SoC is critically low. The only indication of that is when the 12 V system fails and you can’t use the car at all. The 12 V battery should ALWAYS be charging from the main traction battery, after all, once “full” it only requires a trickle of current to maintain it, and Lead-Acid batteries last longest when kept full. Allowing the 12 V battery to drop this low will undoubtably have caused at least some amount of permanent sulfation. This system where the e only charges it when the car is powered on and the driver’s seatbelt is fastened is bonkers.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I don't think that the driver’s seatbelt needs fastening (maybe this is only necessary if there's no one sat in the driver's seat) during the first few days of ownership I sat in the car for long periods without issue whilst checking through all the settings and all I did was ensure that the car was powered on without using my seatbelt.
Last edited by londiniumperson on Fri May 14, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
londiniumperson

pk87 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:32 am Hi I think a Victron Smart Sense is more reliable, especially that it measures also the temperature. The price is similar.
https://www.victronenergy.com/accessori ... tery-sense.
Does the Victron or the CTEK battery monitor store data whilst out of range of the phone? It's a bit pointless if not because there are many other battery monitors that do, see this one in action on an e-Niro which will store 31 days of data:
Fakeplasticman

Post by Fakeplasticman »

Fell victim to the dreaded dead battery this morning. Couple of hours on a ctek charger and it was fine.

I popped into the car to clean bird crap off the windscreen yesterday and must have left something on.

Won't do that again!! Got a fright when I was greeted with 6 black screens!
londiniumperson

It looks like the Victron battery monitor doesn't store any data (it's designed for use as an infeed for a charge controller, not a stand alone monitor) whereas the CTEK can keep 3 months on the unit, so I'd rather use a CTEK out of the two.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post