Honda's e:progress have switched energy provider

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

https://www.honda-eprogress.co.uk/

In the UK

They now are in collaboration with octopus agile! Instead of moxia who I think they were originally going with
Ex e owner

bogga

Post by bogga »

Sounds like your getting the same deal as having a Ohme charger
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Moixa still mentioned in the blurb at the bottom of the page.
I’m currently on Octopus Go.
As stated above, it looks a bit like the Ohme service. And octopus Agile. Once you’ve purchased an Ohme, do you have to pay an annual fee? I don’t know. Else the £52/annum for e:Progress looks a bit odd.
With the imminent arrival of my ASHP to replace my oil boiler, I’m considering Agile. But at the moment I either charge the Honda via solar PV or the four hours at night at 5p/kWh
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I've just signed up for more info, and I'm awaiting a phone call to find out what the £52 gives me over an Ohme & an Octopus tariff which I'm already using.

This implies that there's an API for communication between the car & charger, otherwise it's a scam to help empty your wallet. I would have hoped that Honda would provide this service for free, but then I'd never owned a Honda car before, now I've got one I'm used to the poor customer experience so I'm not surprised of a fee.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I have an update on this.

Pre-reqs:
  • Honda e owner
  • Have access to the MyHonda+ app.
  • Switch to or currently be an Octopus Energy customer on the Agile tariff
  • Purchase an EVSE, either Alfen Eve Single Pro-line (£950) or the Honda Power Charger S+ (4G) (£1500) via the partner (Local Heroes). Both costs include VAT, OLEV discount & basic installation.
  • Sign up to the £52 (free 1st year) annual software package to control the app & manage the car charging at the cheapest rate.
There is an e:PROGRESS app (Android & IOS) for those that sign up to the software contract & have MyHonda+ app.
The owner can then set the car to charge to the request SoC by a set time (e.g. 8am) as long as the car is plugged in by the expected start time and the software will select the cheapest time(s) on the Octopus Agile tariff (there are plenty of YouTube videos that explain how this tariff operates).

Links:
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
SuperRocket61

Post by SuperRocket61 »

All too complicated. EV charging is a small part of my energy consumption and it's impossible to work out if I would be better off.

I have Octopus Go and an Ohme Charger. I can do most of my charging at 5p/kWh at night but unfortunately the Ohme Smart Charger can't communicate with the 'e' intelligently because Honda have not published the API so the charger assumes that the car needs a 100% charge every time. The result is that it will do at least some of the charging during the day at peak rate. I could tell the Ohme to only charge at 5p but this does not guarantee a full charge by morning. The only way around this without customising the % charge needed every day is to ignore Ohme's smart charging and use the charge timer in the car to always start charging at 00:30. On most days this will top up the battery by 04:30 when peak rate begins.

I have written to Honda Customer Services to ask them to publish the API on ecological grounds. I got a boiler plate reply but if more owners wrote it might have some effect.
pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Yes, I have Octopus Agile and that seems to be the only way to get e:Progress to do its job. I am waiting for the Honda-branded charger to become available, which should be soon.
But, and it's a huge But, Octopus Agile can be significantly more expensive than the 5p/kWh of Octopus Go. So my advice is don't bother yet.
This link tells you historic prices of Active:
https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-go- ... le-london/
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

I use octocomparison and for our usage go is working out consistently cheaper than agile when spread over the year.

"Octopus Energy Comparison" https://octocomparison.co.uk
Ex e owner
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

I switched back to Octopus Go from Agile because the Agile rates were higher than Go's day rate most of the time, meaning no advantage there but a large advantage to have on Go with overnight charging. It's noticeable!

Incidentally the boost timer on the Zappi is set to 00:30 - 05:00 just in case 4 hours isn't quite enough to fully charge which doesn't happen often at all.

I can't see any incentive for a Honda charger, tariff, or this app payment. Too complex, too expensive.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post