Problems charging with 220V since update

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
MartinT2

Post by MartinT2 »

Hello from Germany,

I am a happy Honda-e owner since November 2020.
I charge in the garage with 220V with the charger, that came with the car.

Since I bought it I charged 145 KW according to the electricity meter that is between the charger and the outlet.

In April the car was in the shop for a software update (something with rear seat belts).

Since then I charged the car twice with enormous difficulties. The charging process is terminated abnormally (with a red LED on the charger next to the text FAULT).

This termination occurs multiple times (the first time I counted 4- yesterday I did not count - way beyond 10).

This is the sequence of actions:

1.) Charger plugged in- green LED (POWER) is on.
2.) Plugged into car (blue pulse light comes on on charger as well as on front hood)
this terminates abnormally after any time between 3 secs and unknown (minutes - never hours).

I also tried it with a different sequence (first the car then the outlet) - same results.

The Honda dealer has no clue.

any hints-idea-suggestions are welcome.

Martin

milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Welcome.

Maybe check your household voltage hasn't dipped below the working limit of the charger? Is it possible to test your charger at the dealers or a neighbour's maybe your work place and see if you get different results?
Ex e owner
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Hi Martin,

145kWh are too little for a car from November.....

As milligoon said first thing to do it to charge it somewhere else, different wall plug to see where the problem is. If in the wall plug, if the cable, or if the car.
Then you move from there.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Appalling customer service from Honda dealers yet again.
If you're 100% sure that nothing has changed at home (i.e. you're using the same power socket), then the dealer should be offering to check your car & your own slow charger at their place and if necessary test with theirs (they'll have one for their demonstrator car).
They should also be checking whether it'll correctly charge using their 7kW charge unit.

Hopefully you're not using an extension lead.
In the meantime can you easily test using a different power outlet at your or someone else's house?
Does the car charge OK on a fast charger (7kW AC)?
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

Or is it the flux capacitor that you obviously retrofitted (futurofitted?) to your vehicle?

Welcome - where are you from in Germany?
I’m sure you and the swarm intelligence here will solve the problem...
MartinT2

Post by MartinT2 »

Thank you for the answers.

The meter is about what I believe is correct for 500 km multiplied by power-consumption.

There is an extra extension (16A 230V minimum length obtainable) in use since the second charge - (backward into a double parker is no fun).

The outlet itself is just the three garages. A separate circuit and no one did move (or use power any other way) while I had my fun (I can not speak about the first time, but on Thursday when I had the n-times failures).

Car (and charger) will be at dealer with the car at 25% charge left on Wednesday.

I am 15km south of Frankfurt

and no- the reflux capacitor was brand new (from the factory because they did not make enough De Lorans) ;-)

Martin

PS: I figured it might not hurt to ask - and I am now pretty sure that it is the charger that has a problem. No longer blaming the software-people changing parms (aside of the rear seat belt problem)

Thank you all
MartinT2

Post by MartinT2 »

Just got a call from the shop- They found nothing- also nothing in the error-log. They used my charger. It works there. They now suspect a problem with the outlet at my place (which I highly doubt, since it is a separate circuit with only the three garages and nothing was active at any of them multi_attempts_to_charge.

Will keep an eye on it and inform if there is any news..
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

MartinT2 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:56 am Just got a call from the shop- They found nothing- also nothing in the error-log. They used my charger. It works there. They now suspect a problem with the outlet at my place (which I highly doubt, since it is a separate circuit with only the three garages and nothing was active at any of them multi_attempts_to_charge.

Will keep an eye on it and inform if there is any news..
It works in other places, but not at your outlet. Yet, you still doubt it’s your outlet?
If it quacks like a duck…
MartinT2

Post by MartinT2 »

>> If it quacks like a duck…

Yea- but if it quacks like a duck and then jumps like a horse ... ???

In other words: I charged 145 kW into it without any problem at all.... and after software updgrade I have these problems......

Martin

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post