Tire Durability - Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

How much kms are you thinking the tires will last?
Will the rears fail first or last? :)

Would you buy them again or think there's better value for money out there? ;)

Just trying to look for opinions here... :)
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Hopefully my tyres will last longer than Tech Jamo's (he had a puncture on one but the other rear tyre was almost worn out at only 11k miles :o), see here:

I originally had a look at replacement tyres about 6 months ago so the cost wouldn't be a surprise when they needed replacing.
I'm not sure if I want to replace the tyres with something similar to the PS4's ( see below some options) or to consider a more efficient tyre (aka one that'll increase the range).
When people start replace their tyres (which won't be for several years I suspect), then I'd also be interested to know what they choose and if they notice any difference in grip and/or efficiency.

Looking today on BlackCircles (Asda Tyres are also a good website to find low prices) and here's what I've found for a fully fitted price (rear tyres at 225/45 R17):
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are about £95 a tyre.
  • Kumho Ecsta PS71 are about £70 a tyre, the PS71 is marketed as an Ultra High Performance tyre. I've previously bought several sets of these for a Mini R53 and they lasted a similar time compared to premium brands, on the road they performed really well, but on track (which is unlikely to happen in the e) they tended to overheat and lose traction but then maybe I needed to adjust the pressure.
  • Some of the Yokohama tyres are worth a look with good reviews and cost is between a Kumho & Michelin.
  • Continental Premium Contact 6 is another high performance tyre that I'll consider but are often a slightly higher price to that of the PS4's.
Buying 2 or 4 at a time & shopping around should easily result in reducing these costs by +10%, unless it's an emergency purchase (i.e. puncture).
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

These are heavy cars squirting a fair amount of torque down the rears will wear, I've owned a few rwd cars much lighter than the e and yes I have a heavy right foot, tyres wear in proportion as how you drive simple physics, probably worth keeping an eye on the tyre pressures and the tread depth.
Ex e owner
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

For me Michelin Primacy 4
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

I was looking for opinions because I'm going to be replacing my front tires at the end of this month.
Rears probably by Jully/August

Fronts sit at 4mm depth remaining (sidewall is worn to the point of showing threads) they were already showing some but a recent trip to the mountains got the best of them. :P

1621684245708.jpg

Rears sit at 2mm, but with warm weather i'm not very concerned about having slicks :)

I'l stick with Pilot 4 then.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

FDAD wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:56 am I was looking for opinions because I'm going to be replacing my front tires at the end of this month.

Fronts sit at 4mm depth remaining (sidewall is worn to the point of showing threads) they were already showing some but a recent trip to the mountains got the best of them. :P
1621684245708.jpg
Rears sit at 2mm, but with warm weather i'm not very concerned about having slicks :)

:o That's not only illegal in the UK and would face a fine of up to £2,500 and three penalty points for each illegal tyre, but in my view highly irresponsible where it could be a contributing factor to someone's death in the event of a collision.

18000km is about 11,000 miles, that's not long for a set of tyres, especially on the front of a real drive car.
The basic UK legal requirement is 1.6mm across the central three quarters of the breadth of tread and round the entire circumference of the tyre, there are others (i.e. exposed ply or cord).
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

FDAD wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:56 am I was looking for opinions because I'm going to be replacing my front tires at the end of this month.

1621684245708.jpg

What did you do? Drove the Grand Prix of Monaco? :shock:

I only want Michelins, I don't want other brands, so stick with the same tires as are already on it. :geek:
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:09 pm

1621684245708.jpg

:o That's not only illegal in the UK and would face a fine of up to £2,500 and three penalty points for each illegal tyre, but in my view highly irresponsible where it could be a contributing factor to someone's death in the event of a collision.

18000km is about 11,000 miles, that's not long for a set of tyres, especially on the front of a real drive car.
The basic UK legal requirement is 1.6mm across the central three quarters of the breadth of tread and round the entire circumference of the tyre, there are others (i.e. exposed ply or cord).
~
It's not legal here either.
«The basic UK legal requirement is 1.6mm across the central three quarters of the breadth of tread and round the entire circumference of the tyre»
I believe the PT requirements to be the same, as I said, they are getting replaced, It's 3 business days to get them when I asked for a quote. So scheduled to 31 because I don't have any time sooner...

The front surprised me but I was expecting to change the rears by 20 000kms...
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

iHansz wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:58 pm

What did you do? Drove the Grand Prix of Monaco? :shock:

I only want Michelins, I don't want other brands, so stick with the same tires as are already on it. :geek:
:D :D :D :D

Maybe... :P Let's call it spirited driving 8-)
If you live in the mountainside and have plenty of sharp turns... given the camber these tires have turning you'll waist the side wall in no time. For the first few days I already knew that this was going to happen. I wanted to change them to the rear... before it became bad but it's not possible so I'll waist 3mm of thread because of the side walls.
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

Relatively large mass to grip ration means tires will wear out sooner. Unless driving very carefully. Wife had a ecobox with 155 tires that went through 3 sets of tires in 30000km. Changed to more grippy 175 tires and they were fine after 30000km when we sold the car.

Our E is halfway through the tires (5-6mm left) after about 6000km. Will change to less grippy, better rolling tires when worn out. Hope to achieve more fun and better range. I got 70.000kms on a set of Goodyear's I was very satisfied with on my Civic.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post