Removing a wheel on a Honda e advance?

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
exalfista

Post by exalfista »

Just wondered if anyone has actually managed to remove a wheel from a Honda e in order to change a Tyre?

Unfortunately we misplaced our locking wheelnut key and obviously didn't realise until we discovered an unrepairable puncture in one of our tyres (16" wheels).

At first our dealer said that the replacement code comprised the last 3 digits of the Key Codecard that comes with the owners manual and ordered one in.

Whilst this fitted tightly on the locking wheelnut when placed by hand, as soon as any torque was applied with a wheel brace it just span off.

Our dealer made enquiries with Honda UK, and in turn they made enquiries with Honda Europe. Their conclusion was that the code was in fact wrong and so a different wheel nut key was ordered, sent over from Belgium, and collected today.

As you might guess from where this thread is going exactly the same thing happens. It fits by hand but just spins off when torque is applied.

So, whilst we ponder just what our options might be I thought it might be useful to see what experiences (if any) other Forum members have had in trying to remove a wheel from a Honda e?

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Are you sure that it's fully engaged?
I've successfully removed my wheels from my car with the locking key, so if you have the correct one then it will work, though you have to make 100% sure that it's fitted on correctly because it can be tricky lining it up. When it's fully engaged you'll notice because a very positive fit, though if you dislodge it then it will indeed slip off.

I'm assuming that the car is stranded away from the dealer so they cannot remove the wheel for you, proving that the key is correct. If this is the case then I would use a tyre replacement company (just about all have this option) that can replace the tyres at your location of choice.
If it turns out that they cannot remove the wheel with the supplied locking key then I'd suggest demanding that the dealer recovers (free recovery is supplied with new Honda cars) your car to them and replaces the tyre themselves and supply you with correct wheel locking key or replace all of the locking wheel nuts with replacements, all free of charge, including the tyre (yes, you misplaced the original locking key, but they should be able to supply the correct replacement.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
londiniumperson

I'm assuming that you have the wheel locking key code like mine (obviously with a visible code :D ):

IMG_20210527_151711.jpg

exalfista

Post by exalfista »

Yes, that's the Key Codecard referred to. Initially we were told the last 3 digits were for the locking wheel nut key but after this didn't work we were advised it was wrong (and we don't know what method was used by Honda Europe to work out the profile of the 2nd wheel nut key they provided).
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Does the locking wheel nut key came with the car or is it stored somewhere?
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
exalfista

Post by exalfista »

We think it was handed to us in person when we collected the vehicle rather than being stashed away in the boot somewhere but all very hypothetical as the one thing we do know is that we haven't been able to find it when we needed it.

In part I just wanted to check that other people have been able to remove their wheels with the locking wheel nut keys that came with their cars, or whether it was a general fault with them being over tightened in the factory or something.
londiniumperson

FDAD wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:22 pm Does the locking wheel nut key came with the car or is it stored somewhere?
Mine was in the plastic locking wheel nut package (so I've got 4 unused wheel nuts) which in turn was in the glovebox (locking nut now in car):

IMG_20210527_165213~2.jpg

FDAD

Post by FDAD »

I'm going to change tires this next Monday and didn't even considered the locking wheel nuts as I haven't seen anything regarding it.

I've checked it… I even thought the nuts had black covers in them but no... Witch means that they'll remove the black paint from them when changing tires.... :|
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
londiniumperson

FDAD wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:00 pm I'm going to change tires this next Monday and didn't even considered the locking wheel nuts as I haven't seen anything regarding it.

I've checked it… I even thought the nuts had black covers in them but no... Witch means that they'll remove the black paint from them when changing tires.... :|
You'll probably find that they're already rusting before you remove them, mine had slight rust on them.

I'll be adding a new thread when I've had a chance to clean the car and you'll see why I removed the wheels in the first place.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

londiniumperson wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:19 pm
FDAD wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:00 pm I'm going to change tires this next Monday and didn't even considered the locking wheel nuts as I haven't seen anything regarding it.

You'll probably find that they're already rusting before you remove them, mine had slight rust on them.

I'll be adding a new thread when I've had a chance to clean the car and you'll see why I removed the wheels in the first place.
I'll wait.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post