Portable solar charging

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Theolegit

Post by Theolegit »

One for the techies, I have a jacket 1000w solar charger which can be run and charged by 2 100w solar panels. Would this run a granny charger to charger the Honda from soars?

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Your Jackery(?) “power station” can output about 4 Amps tops, the granny lead will try to pull 10 Amps, and presumably trip something on your “power station”. As far as I’m aware, the lowest current limit an EVSE can advertise to a vehicle via the duty cycle of the 1 kHz Control Pilot signal on the Type-2 connector is 6 Amps. In other words, even with a custom modified granny cable, you’d be out of luck without a unit that can deliver 1400 W minimum. The other thing to consider is, your unit is recharged by a 200 Wp “array”. In ideal circumstances, a full summer day will charge your unit with 1 kWh, which only after your unit is fully charged, you could then dump into the car (although you can’t for reasons already mentioned) and get about 3 miles of range after charging losses etc.

Personally, I think it’s sad that there’s not any mechanism at the moment to trickle charge EVs with solar. I’d be happy if my car could gain a couple of miles range each day it’s sat not being used.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

rickwookie wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:21 am ...
Personally, I think it’s sad that there’s not any mechanism at the moment to trickle charge EVs with solar. I’d be happy if my car could gain a couple of miles range each day it’s sat not being used.
You need one of these:
https://sonomotors.com/en/sion/
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

londiniumperson wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:58 am
rickwookie wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:21 am ...
You need one of these:
https://sonomotors.com/en/sion/
I should have qualified, other than that built-in.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

There is a mechanism to use solar it's one of the many solar compatible EVSE charger units that use power from your household solar. Out on the road is another matter though and if you actually want a portable unit I am not sure the number of panels you'd need would fit in the car! Nothing to stop you investigating using a 12v solar trickle charger for the system battery
Ex e owner
ScottHoward

Post by ScottHoward »

Theolegit wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:39 pm One for the techies, I have a jacket 1000w solar charger which can be run and charged by 2 100w solar panels. Would this run a granny charger to charger the Honda from soars?
Look at your owner's manual for your solar charger and your honda owner's manual and compare the APMPs needed to charge your car.
I think it's not enought to charge
Batteries for Honda: https://accordcashcar.com/
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

Our Zappi 2 EV charger can divert surplus solar energy to charge the car, but the minimum amount of surplus required is 1.4kW, which is an EV charging standard. On a dark cloudy day, the panels never receive enough energy to produce even a fraction of the surplus required. With light cloud cover and the occasional sunny spell, the car can start and stop charging through the sunny spells. We can augment the solar surplus in Eco mode, which brings energy from the grid to make up the shortfall to 1.4kW. On a bright sunny day, we can divert up to 3.4kW to the car.

So 200w maximum output is 1/7th of the minimum requirement to charge.

But you could develop a 12v solar trickle charger that only provides around 1A (requiring a total of say around 20w after DC-DC conversion and controller loads). Some owner experiences with depleting 12V systems might actually find this quite useful.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post