Another MyHonda+ gripe

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Jan44

Post by Jan44 »

Just bought my E and tried to set up MyHonda app. Seemed to work and it allows me to lock and unlock car remotely, however no data on security of windows doors etc or charging status so I called support and they wanted an email with screenshots to send to tech support. Did that and connected services support asked for same info as they hadn't got the screen shots from ordinary support (duh).
However, I then checked the app yet aagain this morning and it showed ALL the data including miles driven so far (23!).

Did they fix it remote,y? Who knows?

Jan44

RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

You'll have to get used to it.
The software is on shaky ground. Sometimes this works, sometimes something else – rarely everything, often nothing.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

One of the “joys” of the MyHonda+ app is that yes you can Lock and Unlock your car remotely. And check whether you remembered to lock your car. But if you leave any windows open, the Remote Locking ONLY locks your car. It cannot close your windows. So it is likely that your car is still open to the weather, and your alarm could be triggered by any movement near the car. Which of course tends to piss people off. Beware.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

advance2020 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:58 pm One of the “joys” of the MyHonda+ app is that yes you can Lock and Unlock your car remotely. And check whether you remembered to lock your car. But if you leave any windows open, the Remote Locking ONLY locks your car. It cannot close your windows. So it is likely that your car is still open to the weather, and your alarm could be triggered by any movement near the car. Which of course tends to piss people off. Beware.
It's unlike you to use the app.
Do you really trust the app on the status of whether the windows are open or closed 🤣
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:25 am
advance2020 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:58 pm One of the “joys” of the MyHonda+ app is that yes you can Lock and Unlock your car remotely. And check whether you remembered to lock your car. But if you leave any windows open, the Remote Locking ONLY locks your car. It cannot close your windows. So it is likely that your car is still open to the weather, and your alarm could be triggered by any movement near the car. Which of course tends to piss people off. Beware.
It's unlike you to use the app.
Do you really trust the app on the status of whether the windows are open or closed 🤣
Ok, I guess I deserve this! But I was trying to be helpful. I have used the App to "Lock my Car' supposedly Successfully. However when I used it yesterday to Lock my Car, I was pretty certain I had locked it, before I walked way.
So no, I don't TRUST the App. And to repeat a very early comment, for the Newbies, I once successfully Lock my Car with the App, with my KeyFob inside. This should not be possible. I have never tried it again, just in case the App failed to Open my Car.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
londiniumperson

You were helpful; being able to close windows would be the sort of thing we'd all expect a modern car app to be able to do these days, particularly one advertised as being technically advanced with such an amazing app.
E_honda

Post by E_honda »

That caught me out a few times - me doubting whether I locked the car.

However, if you press the “updated” area in the app it’ll refresh the data to give you the current status.

10F47493-5E1A-4D5E-9C46-BECD78389D8E.jpeg

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

The app is almost deliberately bad.

One thing I noticed that is very misleading from a user experience point of view is the update icon itself.

It is understandable that people would believe the app connects to the car, but this is not the case. The app connects to honda servers, and those servers connect to the car.

When you load the app, you may see twirling near the updated time, only for it to stop twirling and their be no update. This is simply because it is picking up the same update from the server that it already had. The car state may well be very different.

Once it stops twirling, you can click it as mentioned, the app gives the warning, then instructs Honda's servers to poll the vehicle. Then after about 30 seconds you will be truly up to date.

The app is quite disappointing as many have said. 39quid for 8 years for limited basic functionality is annoying. I'd rather have 10quid once to realise I don't want or need it, let alone the other features which are costlier and only for a year!

I will resist the temptation to list my gripes, as previous employment as a software tester has left me with rather too much to say!
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
londiniumperson

@EEEE It appears that you are now a true Honda e owner after experiencing the MyHonda+ app :lol:

There are many many posts on numerous threads all with similar comments.

Amazingly the development team of this app and Honda UK are really proud of their app and how it utilises the latest technologies, so much so that they had planned to tell the engineering community via an IET presentation, see the thread:Development of the Honda + app. A webinar
However it was pulled at the last minute, read the thread and make up your own mind as to why.
Last edited by londiniumperson on Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I think the app got on my bad side when I sat in my car for an hour familiarising myself with bits and pieces, then linked the app, only for the app pairing procedure to initialise the factory reset procedure and undo my last hour of twidlings with 0 warning.

I'll try and review the presentation when I'm back at home. Sometimes technology can be truly novel, whilst its implementation leaves us with no real benefit.

It is easily forgotten that technology is supposed to be a timesaver and not a time hog. I suspect the honda e's legacy may end up being remembered for the latter rather than the former.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi