Greetings from Windsor

New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
wilburthewombat

Post by wilburthewombat »

Hi all
I'm thinking about buying a new Honda E, so joining this forum to find out some more about what I can expect if and when I get one.
I understand the limitations of the 'E' pretty well. It's a niche car that seems to be able to work well if your expectations and needs match what it offers.
I'm going to be on my own when driving this car in and around Windsor and London - return journeys of 80 miles tops in a day.
I want a nippy car that is fun to drive and easy to park, especially when parking spaces are difficult to find and where a small can can get into spaces that larger cars can't.
Also, I've had knee ops that make driving even an automatic tiring. Moving from accelerator to brake all the time in traffic jams is a pain, so I'm hoping that an 'E' will allow me to do 1-pedal driving most of the time.
Mostly, though, it looks just so damn cute. I hate boring cars, and the 'E' is so not boring!
My main worry is long term maintenance. The 'E' hasn't sold well, even in Japan (I think). If I'm right, total sales worldwide will be less than 10k. So I'm concerned that getting things fixed may be in issue over the years, both in terms of local dealer knowledge, and parts availability.
And hello to you all!

Oh, and is it a Honda 'E", or Honda 'e'?

FMIB

Post by FMIB »

I think the E will meet or exceed most of your expectations, but in very cold bad weather you may struggle to get an 80 mile range from a 100% charge. Maybe others on the forum who have more experience of longer winter drives can comment.
As for long term maintenance, I don't see a significant issue as I cant imagine a car company stopping the supply of spare parts. There are plenty of other cars in the market that are niche, sold in small volumes and they still remain on the road
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Hello!

It sounds like you are the perfect buyer for the e. Honda use the lower case so I stick with it, even if it is a little pretentious. You seem well aware of the limitations and appreciate it as something a bid different so I'd say go for it as opportunities to get a car like this at the price are few and far between. Knowledge of a destination or emergency charger or two, along with pre-heating before you unplug and driving carefully should prevent any winter problems, and I can't see access to the Honda parts list being impossible for at least a decade, even if they pull out of new car sales completely.
wilburthewombat

Post by wilburthewombat »

A fly in the ointment is that not only has the government ev grant gone for this car, Honda have also raised the prices so that the advance with 'premium' paint is now £37,465 list. Through CarWow it's around £35k. That's not good, especially since this list is now more than the base Hyundai Ioniq 5, and only £4k less that the base KIA EV6. They don't float my boat so much, so I'll use this to try to get my local Honda dealer to offer a sensible price.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Unless you have the use of other cars, your probably better off stumping a bit more cash for a lot more car.

Whilst the battery/range limitations may be understood (and this seems the main focus of many), the day to day practicalities are often not talked about. The boot is tiny. I can get a man bag and a camera rucksack in the boot, but not another rucksack for my gym gear. The fogging up rear view camera or just general dirt on the reversing camera that can't be cleaned from the cabin.

You mention bad knees - if you are in the 6foot tall range, getting in and out generally involves a whack to the knee from the dashboard, or an accidental press of the heated seat button.

Then there's the stupid door handles that get frozen in cold weather. Either wont pop out, or wont pop back in.

None of these things really pop up on a test drive. The driving is pretty good though, but living with it is harder.

I got a demonstrator cheap, but i don't think id fancy paying for a new one.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

EEEE wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:28 pm

Then there's the stupid door handles that get frozen in cold weather. Either wont pop out, or wont pop back in.
That’s not a problem if you plan 10-20 mins in advance because using the preheat function via the app,key fob or car schedule will not only defrost the door handles and windows but the interior will be toasty too.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

wilber, per previous replies, the e isn't perfect. We've only had ours for a week and our 'initiation' was 280 miles in -3 to +4 degrees with freezing fog thrown-in for fun. Per Londiniumperson - use the preheat function prior to leaving on a freezer morning - if you have - or can have) a domestic wallpoint charger, set the timers in that so you use a bit of 'mains' electricity when the car + battery heater is cooking-up, then your range will be undiminished. We live and use ours almost exclusively on country A-roads and minor stuff, and, despite the current cool uk weather season, see 100-ish miles predicted for 80% charge with a defrosted car ready-to-go. One-pedal saves a shitload of foot-shuffling in traffic and on the backwater roads; the e is very, very good at that. I'm 1.83 ('six-foot') and find thee driving position fine - much better than the MGC, Frogeye Sprite or (Austin!) Mini (and many, many others) of the past. EEEE makes some good points, but the comment about the rearview mirror camera: well i don't have that problem, 'cos i bought a 'standard', which is absolutely fine - it has the reversing camera and that's all i find need, the wing 'mirrors' are so good. You might find you can just about squeak a 'std' under the £32k and get the £1500 of your vat back off the 'government'). The yellow version looks good on the black 16" wheels. And goes (slightly) further, apparently.
The car is fab in town, even my wife enjoys parking it (while gawking onlookers wonder how it 'did that' so neatly...)
good luck!

atb - ttp
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

londiniumperson wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:02 pm
EEEE wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:28 pm

That’s not a problem if you plan 10-20 mins in advance because using the preheat function via the app,key fob or car schedule will not only defrost the door handles and windows but the interior will be toasty too.
Nope - preheating the interior will warm up the interior, but not the exterior where the door handles are. The door cards insulate the handles from the interior heat - they do not defrost. I normally preheat for 30 mins on the high setting. It wasnt even especially cold, -2c or so at 7am.

The only reason i mention these issues is that Honda had a solid reputation for dependable design. The 'e' is a departure from that, a new venture, but I feel they have gone too far and taken too much of a risk and it shows in all the stupid day to day annoyances which detract from the car. The overall package is underwhelming from a tech point of view, at the cost of usability.

I wish the longer i had it the more i loved it , but the reverse seems to be true for me.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Its not just Honda that need to answer for frozen door handles, I've had a number including BMW's that freeze.
At least there are no folding mirrors to freeze folded.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

EEEE wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:15 am Nope - preheating the interior will warm up the interior, but not the exterior where the door handles are. The door cards insulate the handles from the interior heat - they do not defrost. I normally preheat for 30 mins on the high setting. It wasnt even especially cold, -2c or so at 7am.

The only reason i mention these issues is that Honda had a solid reputation for dependable design. The 'e' is a departure from that, a new venture, but I feel they have gone too far and taken too much of a risk and it shows in all the stupid day to day annoyances which detract from the car. The overall package is underwhelming from a tech point of view, at the cost of usability.

I wish the longer i had it the more i loved it , but the reverse seems to be true for me.
I’ve never experienced frozen door handles in the 18 months that I’ve owned my e and live at the foot of the Southdowns with car on the drive and the driver’s door getting the full force of the UK Easterly winds.

Like you I’m more disappointed than wowed but the car, especially on the technology front. However most disappointingly Honda has over promised but under delivered and seems to already have washed their hands of not only the e but all BEV’s.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current