Hello from Latvia!

New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

Thank you all for information. I'm sure I will find a way that suits my lifestyle. At the moment I'm a bit disappointed with range but maybe I'm doing something wrong :) In few words we had a trip of 145 km (about 90 miles) and we barely made it. 2/3 highway but kept it below 90 kmh (56 mph).
About pre-conditioning - do I understand correctly that while heating/cooling inside of the car it's heating up battery? How long does it take to get it to working temperatures? I've noticed that I'm loosing about 3 - 5 % very quickly every time I start driving so I would like to avoid by preheating battery.

MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Could you please elaborate on the "barely made it" part? Was there 20%, 10% or 0% charge left? As a rule of thumb, one should expect 100 miles range from a Honda e, which is 160km, which is not far from your report. Altough, I am assuming that the weather in Latvia is similar to the weather in Lithuania. Recently, I am seeing ~210km range on my dahsboard (50% of the trips are at 90 kmh).

Preheating the car while its plugged in eliminates the very quick charge drop at the beginning of a trip. Using heated seats instead of the a/c also saves some range (in my experience up to 10%) :)

What average consumption numbers you are getting on your dashboard?
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

"Barely made it" as in we stopped in gas station and I asked to charge from main for 30 minutes because my wife was freaking out that we won't make it. We got home at 3%. Weather wasn't too good, about 10C. As it was raining I couldn't switch off HVAC completely as windows were fogging all the time. Last 10 km I opened window a bit and switch HVAC off. We didn't used heated seats at all. i don't remember for sure but I think range at 100% was about 150 and I was surprised but as it was our first long journey I thought that it will get better as we drive. One more thing - on highway I was using everything possible. Cruise control, line assists, radars, everything. In city I was using one pedal driving all the time. Love that feature btw :)
nyx

Post by nyx »

You can preheat with the keyless remote: https://hond.ae/how-to/#remote-precon
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

nyx wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:39 pm You can preheat with the keyless remote: https://hond.ae/how-to/#remote-precon
I got that. I was wondering how long does it takes to do that. In menu you can choose from 10 to 30 minutes but I can't find how much is enough for battery.
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

zemdega wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:56 pm "Barely made it" as in we stopped in gas station and I asked to charge from main for 30 minutes because my wife was freaking out that we won't make it. We got home at 3%. Weather wasn't too good, about 10C. As it was raining I couldn't switch off HVAC completely as windows were fogging all the time. Last 10 km I opened window a bit and switch HVAC off. We didn't used heated seats at all. i don't remember for sure but I think range at 100% was about 150 and I was surprised but as it was our first long journey I thought that it will get better as we drive. One more thing - on highway I was using everything possible. Cruise control, line assists, radars, everything. In city I was using one pedal driving all the time. Love that feature btw :)
In my experience, using cruise control reduces the range since the car tries to keep the set distance and slows down and speeds up more than I do when I let the car to coast.

One pedal driving also reduces the range slightly since it doesn't let the car to coast. So if you are after the longest range possible, turn everything off and drive it like a peasant :D

I pre-heat mine for 20 minutes, which seems to be plenty. Didn't try longer or shorter pre-heats, so can't comment on that.

And yes, use the heated seats, they are your friends :)
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

Thanks MaxPainT. Tomorrow I'm giving my car for ceramic coating, but next Monday I'll be going to Riga and back (about 120 km), will try your suggestions.
Also searching for somebody who can put protective film on charging port glass as flying rocks are usual stuff on highways in Latvia. Don't want to find out how much is to change it :D Probably will put it on front plastic part to keep it at it's best for longer.

Today is much warmer (about 16C-18C), I charged E to 91% and Range was 140km. Drove about 10km during the day now it's 86% and Range is 142km. It's probably matter of time and getting used to. But I'm a bit confused about one pedal driving. My seller from Honda told me that he hit his record of 230km on one charge driving using one pedal driving all the time. Yes it's slowing you down but it's also charging battery a bit, no?

Heated seats are so friendly that you switch them all them time with your knee :D That's one thing that is annoying :D
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Nice to see someone taking proper care of their car. I am thinking about wrapping mine too, but you have to leave the car at a workshop for a couple of days to do that and I am no ready to trust anyone with it just yet :D Coated it with Fusso 99 wax, coated the glass with Glaco 99 and called it a day for now.

Today it was 22C in Vilnius. Took the car from 100% to 88% (mixed driving city and highway speeds). At the end of the journey the car displayed 200km range left. Unless you are hammering yours from every traffic light (gulty of it myself, but who can resist?), then you should have no issues with your 120km trip.

Regenerative breaking brings back some of the energy spent. While coasting uses all the energy. Therefore, if it is possible, it is better to coast. In busy city traffic there are not many options to coast for a long time, so there won't be a difference, but on a highway coasting is the way to go.

I've been hearing alot about kneeling heated seat switches. I think the issue is that the car is design to be seated like on a couch with the seat being taken all the way back and your legs streched. This is the most comfortable diriving position I found myself in in the Honda. My knees are never even near the switches. Mind you I am ~185cm so there is plenty of knees to bump into things :D
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

Now I'm even more confused. At the moment I have feeling that we are talking about different cars :D This morning when I drove to car wash it was 81% and 132km. My only idea is that I have only 250km on the clock and computer still figuring out what range it should show. I remember when i got the car it was showing 8km with consumption of 69kw/100km. I wonder what they were doing with it :D
i must admit I have a heavy foot with cars and first drive (about 70 - 80 km) I drove it like my 3.0L A5. Then I charged it to 100% and drove those 150km barely making home. I thought that I was driving very carefully but I was using all bells and whistles. I'll get it back tomorrow and will try to drive senior style for a while. I really hope to figure out how to get about 160 to 180km from it so I can go to Riga and back (also my wife) without freaking out on the way back. Actually I was planning to visit a lot of places around 100 km from my house. One of the conditions for getting 4,5k government grant was that we will drive at least 10400 km every year and 52K in total for 5 years. That's a lot of driving if I can't get too far on one charge :D
Thanks again MaxPainT for your encouragement, it really helps. I'm sure it will sort out one way or another.
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

Just a little update - yesterday we drove for about 125km. I was driving one way doing my best trying to extend range. So we arrived there after 60km and range left was 140km. Wife took it back (guess why :D), it was colder, raining and we drove other road - easier and a bit faster. So we arrived with 40km left. Much closer to 1% - 1mile. Either way that's it. I'm done with complaining about range. Enjoying E.