Greetings from Lithuania!

New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Good day, lovely Honda E people :D

Getting my E advance charged yellow this week. It will be one of the very few in Lithuania (had never seen one on a road so far). I have managed to get mine brand new with a 5k euro discount due to it being pre-registered. Expecting an additional 2,5k euro goverment grant for it so overall not a bad deal.

I've been reading the forums for a while before pulling the trigger. Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It was really helpful in making the decision (almost got myself a Fiat 500e :oops: )

There is one question that is itching my brain. Is it possible to limit Honda's power draw during charging? I have a Honda generator which can output 1,8kw (2kw peak) so would I be able to charge my Honda with it in case of a power outage? I know that Fiat 500e has 5 charging speed settings for such cases, but have never seen something similar in any Honda E review.

ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Fantastic - we need es in as many countries as possible!

You make a good point - I know that using type-2 cables, the cable, car and EVSE will be able to tell the max current, but I can't see how a standard plug could do that. Others may know better, but I think that you can find some 3-pin charging cables that allow you to switch the charging amperage, e.g. 13, 10A, 7A, 5A... I know that the Honda and Duosida ones I have don't, but I could swear that I have seen some online that do.

I had a very quick look and they definitely do exist, and I found this: https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-e ... 23614.html
I definitely wouldn't recommend that one in particular, not only because it has a UK plug, but also because it looks like the 3-pin pictured is not legal in the UK.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Welcome.
It seems that you’ve bagged a bargain if you saved €7500.
In the UK there’s only a government grant off the new price at 1st registration, not on any future resales.

There’s no way to limit the charge on the car itself.
Anyway why would anyone ever use a fossil powered generator because that negates the main point of a BEV over a fossil fuelled vehicle, it’d make more sense to use a public charger instead. If the power outage is effecting a large area then there’d be little point in travelling because every thing would be out of operation.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Thank you for your replies!

Here we can get 5k grant for a new car (registered less than 6 months ago) and 2,5k for a used one (registered more than 6 months ago but had not applied for a grant). Mine was pre-registered by the dealer who had not applied for the grant thus the 2,5k grant is available. You are not allowed to resell the car for 4 (5k grant) or 2 (2,5k grant) years and you won't get a second grant on the same car.

Just to make it clear, I am not planning to use a generator to charge my car on a constant basis. It was more of a theoretical question in case of an apocalyptic event and I will need to flee from zombies or something (very theoretical). I am fully aware that burning gasoline to generate electricity to charge a car is a very inefficient idea :) Anyway, thanks for the charging cable tip. I didn't consider that it might be possible to limit the currency in the cable itself. Planning to go solar in the near future (luckily, there is a grant for that too) so, hopefully, it will be possible to ditch the gasoline generator all together.
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

Welcome!

We will also have 4,5K grand + 1K in extra gift from dealer like winter tires, charger or whatever you need from them. In best case scenario just 1K off the price.
I asked dealer about amount of Honda e's in Latvia and he said that they sold 3 :D + 3 imported. It will be super exclusive club in Baltic :)

And I'm not sure why would you need to limit charge - 1,8kW is super low. I mean you would charge your car 16+ hours to full. How often are you getting outages? We have them too but max for few hours.
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

MaXPainT wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:54 am Planning to go solar in the near future (luckily, there is a grant for that too) so, hopefully, it will be possible to ditch the gasoline generator all together.
I have a bad news on that for you. I'm planning to put solar panels in few month so I did some digging. When grid goes down your solar panel inverter goes down too and won't be able to use it. It's a safety measure so you won't kill anybody who will come to fix issue with electricity you are putting back into grid.
Only solution would be having battery but at the moment they are kinda expensive (at least for me :) ).
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

I've seen your topic about Honda e situation in Latvia. Didn't question our dealer about the situation in Lithuania, but I know for sure that they have sold one blue advance model and there is a rumour of a white one living in the city center. With mine it makes it 3 models in the whole country. Considering that Latvia is smaller, there should be more Hondas which I am not aware of or it is more popular in Latvia.

My theoretical charge limit is limited by the gasoline generator I have, which is 1,8kW and 2kW peak. We are not experiencing frequent outages, but this winter there was a 24 hour one due to strong winds. Although, there is a public charger 5 minutes away and I can charge for free at my working place so even such event wouldn't be a real issue. At the end of the day, if everything is down there is no need to go somewhere as londiniumperson rightfully pointed out :)

TBH I didn't research the solar panel subject just yet but I do know that adding batteries for solar power storage would significantly complicate the project. Been watching YouTube videos of Americans adding grid switch to prevent electricity leaking into the grid (this is also an issue if you are planning to power your house with a generator). So technically it should be possible without the batteries. Anyway, power outages are not that common so probably will just stick with a standard solution.
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Pikachu has finally arrived :D

20220303_173918.jpg

zemdega

Post by zemdega »

Nice to hear, congrats! Some good news in all this hell happening around.
Few days ago I spoke with dealer if there are some news about government grant. He said that everything is happening and in few weeks (a month max) grant will be available. As our car should be in Latvia in April maybe even May we wasn't in hurry anyways. So I asked him if our car won't be late with everything that happening at the moment. He replied without any excitement that there shouldn't be any delay but if there will be they can give me another White Advanced that they suddenly received as showroom car. So I asked him if we can get it when grant is available even without waiting possible delays and he replied positively. So suddenly few month waiting reduced to maybe even few weeks. Yeppyy!!
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Glad to hear you will get yours shortly. Jealous of the white color, although I am starting to like the charged yellow. Couldn't name it Pikachu in any other color :D If all hell will let loose we will be able to drive through it in style :) Btw the dealer told me that they have sold 14 Es in Lithuania and only two (mine is the second) in charged yellow.