Hi all

New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

The below 50% statement might be a bit conservative. I myself constantly reaching 40% without feeling bad about it. But the point is that lithium batteries don't like to be fully charged nor fully discharged. Charging the battery to 100% brings me to 40% within two days. If I would stick to 80% I would end up with 20%. Therefore in this scenario I am not sure that it is better to limit it to 80% if it will result in draining the battery to a low percentage. But if you are willing to charge it daily and are able to keep it in the 80-40% range then it might be better to limit the charge :)

Technically, there should be no issues swapping the battery to a new pack in the future as long as there will be a flexible enough form factor to fit in. I am pretty optimistic about an aftermarket battery market forming in the future so we could swap the batteries almost as easily as the 12v ones.

FDAD

Post by FDAD »

MaXPainT wrote: ↑Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:42 am I am pretty optimistic about an aftermarket battery market forming in the future so we could swap the batteries almost as easily as the 12v ones.
That is the dream.... :)
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + βœŒοΈπŸŽ‚
Ste1

Post by Ste1 »

FDAD wrote: ↑Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:23 am
MaXPainT wrote: ↑Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:42 am I am pretty optimistic about an aftermarket battery market forming in the future so we could swap the batteries almost as easily as the 12v ones.
That is the dream.... :)
This is the way.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I hate to say it, but I don't think there will ever be an aftermarket battery for the e. It just not a high enough volume product to warrant the expense in development.

Perhaps in the future a service will emerge where cells could be replaced in your existing pack for a different setup / newer tech, but this would probably only be an incremental gain and likely to be poorly implemented in software as well due to the challenge in reverse engineering the protocols and car specific details.

The only people who can build the Honda e battery pack complete are Honda themselves, it's unlikely they would cannibalise sales of newer EVs in the future by offering improved packs for older cars. Likewise, they would be unlikely to share the technical details required to build one by someone else except under strict license at no doubt eye watering cost (if at all).

As time rolls on, perhaps designs will homogenise for efficiency (more platform sharing etc, more modular approach maybe), and an open standard could begin to emerge, allowing some free market enterprise to take place in the replacement battery market.

Perhaps what we all want is actually a new and updated infotainment system box, ditch all the honda apps, and replace them with some decent (even the civic has a better trip meter). I'd pay for that right now I think. If I get another FM traffic announcement popup that I can't cancel from the steering wheel, or another DAB signal drop out I think I'm going to set fire to the thing...
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

EEEE wrote: ↑Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:47 am I hate to say it, but I don't think there will ever be an aftermarket battery for the e. It just not a high enough volume product to warrant the expense in development.
It doesn't have to be for the E, and even Honda has to follow communication protocols, given the amount of data that the car displays in the dash you could replace almost all systems with generic ones... from onboard charger to battery to motor without having error codes or missing info.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + βœŒοΈπŸŽ‚
Ste1

Post by Ste1 »

EEEE wrote: ↑Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:47 am I hate to say it, but I don't think there will ever be an aftermarket battery for the e. It just not a high enough volume product to warrant the expense in development.

Perhaps in the future a service will emerge where cells could be replaced in your existing pack for a different setup / newer tech, but this would probably only be an incremental gain and likely to be poorly implemented in software as well due to the challenge in reverse engineering the protocols and car specific details.

The only people who can build the Honda e battery pack complete are Honda themselves, it's unlikely they would cannibalise sales of newer EVs in the future by offering improved packs for older cars. Likewise, they would be unlikely to share the technical details required to build one by someone else except under strict license at no doubt eye watering cost (if at all).

As time rolls on, perhaps designs will homogenise for efficiency (more platform sharing etc, more modular approach maybe), and an open standard could begin to emerge, allowing some free market enterprise to take place in the replacement battery market.

Perhaps what we all want is actually a new and updated infotainment system box, ditch all the honda apps, and replace them with some decent (even the civic has a better trip meter). I'd pay for that right now I think. If I get another FM traffic announcement popup that I can't cancel from the steering wheel, or another DAB signal drop out I think I'm going to set fire to the thing...
Unfortunately, in the back of my mind I agree with you.
But I'm very optimistic. Hopefully Honda will have to make spare battery's in the future or the car will be worthless. And in doing so as the technology improves so should what they put into the replacement batteries. Same weight, more mileage.

As for DAB I never use it. And I don't get traffic announcements, maybe that's not a thing over here? But that is on all radios and should be easy to turn off. I'm guessing thats not the case here.
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

To be fair, the most recent data suggests that the battery might outlast the vechicle itself. Therefore, the real thing we are discussing here is not an OEM replacement but rather an aftermarket upgrade. Will Honda offer new improved batteries for our old models instead of trying to sell us a whole fresh car? Surely not.

But if there will be a rapid battery technology development, it will create a market with many owners willing to upgrade their batteries without purchasing a whole new car. Afterall, cars are not as easily replacable as phones. If there is a demand there inevitably will be a supply. This makes me believe in an aftermarket solution down the road.

The real question is not if there will be something to upgrade to but rather will we be willing to stick long enough to the E's to get the upgrade. At the moment there is nothing on the same category to upgrade to but the recent Hyundai N Vision concept reveal made me question my loyalty :D
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

MaXPainT wrote: ↑Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:04 pm The real question is not if there will be something to upgrade to but rather will we be willing to stick long enough to the E's to get the upgrade. At the moment there is nothing on the same category to upgrade to but the recent Hyundai N Vision concept reveal made me question my loyalty :D
Unfortunately Hyundai will not build that concept... :cry:
Lets see what other brands offer in the long run... I'll be with my E for some time...
Ste1

Post by Ste1 »

Part of the sales pitch for owning an EV is saving the world and sustainability. Surely the government's will push companies to recondition and replace batteries instead of whole cars.
ilBaku

Post by ilBaku »

The manual says to fully charge the battery each time. I usually charge it to 80%, and once a week to 100%.
If it was harmful to fully charge the battery they wouldn't let you