Hi all

New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
Ste1

Post by Ste1 »

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. About 3 months ago i got a new Honda E in Blue.
I live in Dublin and I used to have a big 2.2litre diesel SUV so it was quite a change for me to change to a Honda E.
We do have a second car, but have only needed to use it once since getting the E (to collect a bike). And another time because my partner took my car.
I was worried about the battery size before i got the car but i can travel all over dublin and surrounding areas including using motorways and i still have enough battery to get home comfortably.
It does all that i need it to do and more. Ive owned a good few cars and this is by far the best fun and it feels the fastest and lightest even though its very heavy.
If i needed to travel more then 200km id probably take the second car, so that is not an issue for me. Usually for me that would be a weekend away with the kids so id need more boot space anyway.
I am planning a long trip around Ireland in the Honda E where I will need to charge it, just for the experience.
Since owning the car, ive done approx 1100km per month (about 35-40 Euro per month compared to about 200 Euro a month for my last car).
I havent had to charge away from home yet. I charge to 85% and once its gets down to around 45% or lower I recharge. The lowest its been is about 14%.

I have heard that there is a 35kwh battery with 28kwh usable. I have searched this forum and the internet but i cant find the info i need.
I want to know if I should charge to 80-85% all the time or should i charge to 100% because some of the battery is protected anyway.

Now im reading batteries should be charged full every month to balance the cells. There is so much info about charging EV's but nothing specific from Honda on the best way to charge.

What do you guys do?

Thanks

zemdega

Post by zemdega »

Most I could get into E in one charge was about 30 kwh. That's from almost empty to full. If there's some loss during charge it's possible that 28,5 kwh is true. As battery is 35,5 it means that safety margin is huge, it's about 20%. So I wouldn't be worried about charging it to 100% anytime.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

the 20% is at the bottom of the barrel I believe, not the top.

100% is 100%.
0% is actually 20% , but over the years the degradation will eat into that 20%. Thats why you can drive past 0% should you so wish (not recommended).

The idea is over time, your e has the same range regardless of battery age (until you've gone over 20% that is).
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

I just wonder why so much. Other brands are OK with 5 - 7 %. I would rather have 10 to 15% more range (especially as I won't keep it after 5 year financing :D ).
Ste1

Post by Ste1 »

EEEE wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:55 pm the 20% is at the bottom of the barrel I believe, not the top.

100% is 100%.
0% is actually 20% , but over the years the degradation will eat into that 20%. Thats why you can drive past 0% should you so wish (not recommended).

The idea is over time, your e has the same range regardless of battery age (until you've gone over 20% that is).
Thanks for the answer. So Ill stick to 85% then. I also heard it doesnt like to be fully charged for too long. So before a longer trip about 200km I'd charge to 85% then change settings so in the morn I can charge to 100% and it will be ready 30 mins or so before I leave.

I'd be interested to hear what others charge to. Are most people charging to around 80%?
Ste1

Post by Ste1 »

zemdega wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:45 pm I just wonder why so much. Other brands are OK with 5 - 7 %. I would rather have 10 to 15% more range (especially as I won't keep it after 5 year financing :D ).
Its nice for range anxiety to have a 20% buffer if you get lost. But as you say I'd rather the extra 10% usable. As I mentioned above, range hasn't been an issue. I was thinking about the coming winter and would it be better to have more range or protect the battery. I love this car and want to keep it as long as possible. I really hope there will be a battery upgrade (straight swap like the old leaf) in 7 or 8 years time so I can keep enjoying it longer.
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

I charge mine slowly usually between 40 and 100% (this means charging it to a 100 every couple days). My reasoning of it being that altough it is not very healthy to fully charge your battery it is also unhealthy to discharge it over 50%. By limiting the charging to 80% one is more likely to discharge it more, thus, I am charging to a 100.

Please correct me if I am wrong but there is an empirical way to check how much your battery likes to be charged. Take it to a fast charger and at some point you will see a dramatic drop in charging speed (typically at around 80% but I didn't try it on my Honda). Anyway, the point where the speed drops is where you ideally should stop charging. But this is only true if afterwards you are not proceeding to run the battery to 20% before charging it again. If you constatly find yourself greatly below 50%, I would stick to fully charging the car in your place.
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

Ste1 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:22 pm
zemdega wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:45 pm I just wonder why so much. Other brands are OK with 5 - 7 %. I would rather have 10 to 15% more range (especially as I won't keep it after 5 year financing :D ).
Its nice for range anxiety to have a 20% buffer if you get lost. But as you say I'd rather the extra 10% usable. As I mentioned above, range hasn't been an issue. I was thinking about the coming winter and would it be better to have more range or protect the battery. I love this car and want to keep it as long as possible. I really hope there will be a battery upgrade (straight swap like the old leaf) in 7 or 8 years time so I can keep enjoying it longer.
To be honest if there will be an option to swap, for example, to 50 kwh battery I will think twice before giving it away. I really love E and I have a feeling I will love it more when snow will fall :twisted:
Ste1

Post by Ste1 »

MaXPainT wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:31 pm I charge mine slowly usually between 40 and 100% (this means charging it to a 100 every couple days). My reasoning of it being that altough it is not very healthy to fully charge your battery it is also unhealthy to discharge it over 50%. By limiting the charging to 80% one is more likely to discharge it more, thus, I am charging to a 100.

Please correct me if I am wrong but there is an empirical way to check how much your battery likes to be charged. Take it to a fast charger and at some point you will see a dramatic drop in charging speed (typically at around 80% but I didn't try it on my Honda). Anyway, the point where the speed drops is where you ideally should stop charging. But this is only true if afterwards you are not proceeding to run the battery to 20% before charging it again. If you constatly find yourself greatly below 50%, I would stick to fully charging the car in your place.
I hadn't heard discharging below 50% was bad. Where did you see that? That in theory would mean we should only use the battery between 50 and 80%. Now I've to spend tomorrow googling that. There are so many variables for battery's.
Ste1

Post by Ste1 »

zemdega wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:51 pm
Ste1 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:22 pm
To be honest if there will be an option to swap, for example, to 50 kwh battery I will think twice before giving it away. I really love E and I have a feeling I will love it more when snow will fall :twisted:
Yes, we don't usually get snow here. It mostly gets cold and wet. But it happens now and then and I will be enjoying it.
I'd like to think bigger ev's with longer range will become cheaper in the future and I can get something and keep the E as it would be a perfect second car. (although now we use it for 99.9% of out journeys).
Also I'm hoping with not many being sold it will become a collectable and keep its value. Its very rare to see another one on the roads. Its a pity honda don't seem to have released any updates.